What was your first THP event?

Jman

Here for the Conversation
Albatross 2024 Club
Staff member
Reaction score
Handicap
SOFTCAPPED
We need a thread for this, could be a REALLY cool retrospective for some people.

Mine was in Austin two years ago, finally took the plunge to go travel and play with people I had never met in real life. Actually drove to Cookies, met him for the first time, got into a vehicle with he and his kids and headed to Austin to stay at his sisters house and play some THP golf. Also played with JB for the first time (PRESSURE!) and met GG as well. Crazy to think back on.

Seems like decades ago now, crazy to look back on.

So, what is your "first time"?

THP based event? The Atlanta tour stop in late 2012. Mike and I drove down not having a clue what to expect, and found out before the event even started how awesome THPers are thanks to a trip to our hotel room from War Eagle and Tadashi. From there, I knew it was an internet golf home like no other.

Non THP based? The Ohio and Indiana THP contingent did some great things before that, getting together numerous times. I can't even remember where the fun began.

My first THP event was a gathering in 2010 in PA where I was as shy as ever and played with Golf4life and Buckjob. I was nervous as all heck, and played so poorly...and saw Bret and Buck just hit bomb after bomb from the tee... But it was an absolute blast.

Last edited:
My first THP event was the Connecticut Invitational last year. Prior to that I had played golf with some local THPers. Was the best thing I ever did. Really gave me a new perspective on what THP was all about. Wouldnt trade it for anything.

The TM Tour Preferred Testing was my first. Looking forward to HHI for the Invitational!

The very first outing.

Sort of a chance encounter actually, which always amazes me considering where I am now and where I've gone over the last few years. I was actually vacationing unrelated to the event, but knowing it was being held I made arrangements to attend. Glad I did.

Atlanta Invitational last August. First time meeting anyone from THP. Simply Awesome.

THP Event-May 2012 Outing....Met some cool people and played a TON of golf. Totally different feeling for me now when I go to events thanks to this one.
Then Heading down to Atl with Dan...opened up so many doors to friendships its unreal
JB and WE then came up and held a tour stop event in Ohio just a month or 2 later where I got to meet even more people.

A few months before that we started the "gatherings", which obviously brought together a ton of guys from OH, IN and KY, but I think it helped pave the way for even more local get togethers in regions throughout the US like we see now.

I'm a THP event virgin :bad:, but my "first time" is coming up in April :D! And what a way to kick it off!

It's coming up this week with #OwnTheSecondShot. I've heard how awesome theses events are & looking forward to experiencing it first hand.

The very first outing.

Sort of a chance encounter actually, which always amazes me considering where I am now and where I've gone over the last few years. I was actually vacationing unrelated to the event, but knowing it was being held I made arrangements to attend. Glad I did.

I know 100% what you mean by this.

I was nervous as hell and taking a true chance w the Austin event, since then its all changed and I look at where I have gone (and have yet to go) and just smile.

Mine was the outing last year at Reunion. I was so nervous it was unreal, but had such a blast. Everyone was really supportive which was great. It went by so fast I wished the weekend was longer. I really felt like I didn't get the most out of my time with other THPers mostly because of how nervous and shy I was, so I'm looking forward to hopefully being able to make another THP event at some point as I know I'll handle it better.

The very first outing.

This for me as well, in fact I played with Hawk, SeeMoreGuy and ADWillingham my very first round!

This was before the first big get together in the Fall of 2010. This was in April of 2010, the one that got the ball rolling, and the place of the infamous Sock Hawk photo!

First event for me was the Connecticut Invitational at Lyman Orchards. Six4Three5 and I ended up driving to CT the morning of (6 hour drive), and I am so glad I decided to go.

I know 100% what you mean by this.

I was nervous as hell and taking a true chance w the Austin event, since then its all changed and I look at where I have gone (and have yet to go) and just smile.

I was so bad at that time. Really, it was my first season of golfing. Lots of fun with Smallville, SeemoreGuy, and adwillingham.

Ohio invitational in 2013! Never have I been so addicted to something so quickly after experiencing that outing.

Morgan Cup 2013. The best time I've ever spent on a golf course. Playing with THP'ers is something else. Meeting THP founders and owners was special, and getting to hang out with a lot of cool guys and girls made it even better. Will do it again this year.

Cool thread idea Jman...

My first was the original THP get together down in Venice, FL in spring of 2010. So many great memories, from walking in Bogeys and meeting JB, GG, and Smallville for the first time, to seeing/hitting all the demo clubs on the range before playing (a miniscule number compared to what would later come at Outings and Demo Days...but it was huge to me at the time), playing 18 at beautiful Sarasota National with Hawk, SeeMoreGuy, and Smallville, JB and GG letting us invade their house for breakfast and dinner, and leaving home that weekend thinking I was absolutely crazy for driving that far to play golf with people I only knew on the internet, but returning home with bunches of new friends and literally viewing the fun you could have playing golf in a different light.

AC Invitational last year. Had a great round with Golf4life, FrancisD and Thainer, with JB joining us for the last hole. It was a great time, followed by a little craps and blackjack after the dinner, then AC Country Club the next day. I think I signed up for the CT Invitational as soon as I got back.

THP Tour Van Stop in Des Moines, IA

freaking Iowa.

The central FL Westchase get together back in late 2010. Crazy how far things have come since then, the people I've met, the courses I've played with THP'ers (and consequently awful attire decisions I then made) and the joy I've had playing with friends I've made.

My first THP Event was in Des Moines Iowa a couple years ago.

My second round while I was there was with Jake (P4B), Hawk, and JB. Talk about intimidating for a newbie. I had an absolute blast that weekend and I have attended a few more since because of just how cool everyone is. Looking forward to 2 and maybe even 3 this year.

Ohio invitational in 2013! Never have I been so addicted to something so quickly after experiencing that outing.

I'm still mad we didn't get a chance to really connect there dude. It is SO hard to get face time with that many people, but I always think about that.

THP Tour Van Stop in Des Moines, IA

freaking Iowa.

I will forever remember 4 things from that trip...

1) You and I being the only two to step up to TWO huge mason jars of beer.

2) Hotel room chats w/ Hawk lecturing me about how many words I was allowed to use in reviews...800? Really Hawk?

3) The waitress bringing Hawk his first beverage and he telling her to go ahead and bring two more.

4) A ridiculously GORGEOUS golf course that was a true joy to play.

I am still waiting for mine, which will be Love is in the Air. Playing golf with Hawk, Bhilln and Brad Morris and been my only kind of THP outing. Can't wait to join the great madness of THP Events.

Back