Changing it up on the teebox..

War Eagle

the Beags of THP...
Albatross 2024 Club
Reaction score
Handicap
Rum
Typically, I bang driver off the tee on nearly every hole. As of late, with a focus being placed on creating a better 2nd shot for myself, I have decided to switch it up on the tee box and started pulling my 3W and 5W a bit more.

This past weekend, I pulled 3W off the tee 5 times, and even commented to the THPers I was playing with that its the most I have ever hit it during a round from the tee. Ironically, I went 12/14 FWs on the day and had a really solid score.

So, the question for you is... are you stubborn when it comes to your game on the teebox and stick with what you always do, or are you willing to mix it up to try and get something going?

Typically, I bang driver off the tee on nearly every hole. As of late, with a focus being placed on creating a better 2nd shot for myself, I have decided to switch it up on the tee box and started pulling my 3W and 5W a bit more.

This past weekend, I pulled 3W off the tee 5 times, and even commented to the THPers I was playing with that its the most I have ever hit it during a round from the tee. Ironically, I went 12/14 FWs on the day and had a really solid score.

So, the question for you is... are you stubborn when it comes to your game on the teebox and stick with what you always do, or are you willing to mix it up to try and get something going?

Im nto stubborn when it comes to the tee box, but I think for me its been a lifelong struggle with the driver off the tee. So ive always been decent at hitting a 3W off the tee and have learned to go to it more and more as my crutch

I was stubborn until mid last year. It was always driver, driver, driver. But it was getting me in trouble way too much. Started using my 3W and even 5W sometimes. There was a decent amount of rounds where I probably used 3W primarily off the tee.

This has become my absolute focus during the month of March (where I plan to be playing a ton of golf). Pulling driver less often, pulling a 5W or 3H more often, and getting 200-220 in the fairway. It helps that my iron game has gotten better and more consistent. The difference between looking at 125 and liking my chances and 160 and being confident I can put it on the green or darn close does a lot to take pressure off my tee shot.

I didn't own a driver for the last 8 months since I just couldn't swing the big stick for some reason.

Im nto stubborn when it comes to the tee box, but I think for me its been a lifelong struggle with the driver off the tee. So ive always been decent at hitting a 3W off the tee and have learned to go to it more and more as my crutch
In the back of my mind, I have always told myself I am not great with a 3W off the tee. Until I saw the results this weekend and decided I needed to do it more often.

I'm sort of stubborn, but once I learn to hit fairway wood at all I will take to the teebox. My plan to put a 5W in the bag this year will bring me closer to that goal.

I'm sort of stubborn, but once I learn to hit fairway wood I will take to the teebox. My plan to put a 5W in the bag this year will bring me closer to that goal.
Love my 5W as an option off the tee dude. Such an easy club to control, and on shorter Par 4s, it's just what I need to get me to the distance I want for my 2nd shot.

To me its simply a matter of the yardage....as of right now, if the hole is 375 or less I will pull 3W, if its longer I will hit driver, I am not overly long but Im accurate, 250ish with the driver and 225 with the 3W, been working on my swing so I can increase my yardage I will have no issues puliing the 3W more. I was running into a problem the last couple of years with my 3W off the tee hooking.....the new Bertha seems to be better (with a commitment to practice, middle of the club contact has gotten better)

Every few years I will buy myself a new driver, quickly realize after some time on the range and my first few rounds with it that I cannot hit it straight, then pull out my R9 13 degree 3 wood and start banging nice straight tee shots, and promptly return to the 3w as my driver.

Unless it changes after my lessons this year, frankly what I find is that I get solid yardage, great placement for a second shot, and a free slot in my bag for an extra wedge or a hybrid for bump and run shots which are very useful on the course I play regularly. I find my scores drop whenever I give in.

I always hit driver on anything that is not a par 3, unless there is something that I can reach that I would prefer not to.

Love my 5W as an option off the tee dude. Such an easy club to control, and on shorter Par 4s, it's just what I need to get me to the distance I want for my 2nd shot.

That's what I figured as well. I haven't had a 5W in years, and I'm starting to wonder what on earth made me take it out. Ego or just stupid :D

In the back of my mind, I have always told myself I am not great with a 3W off the tee. Until I saw the results this weekend and decided I needed to do it more often.

I used to crush my 07 Burner 3W, way longer than I hit driver now. Seems like the game was so much simpler for me back then

I'm pretty good about taking a shorter club off the tee if the hole is shorts or there is trouble that driver could bring into play.

I'll mix it up without a second thought. I've taken a little as 7w off the tee on a par 5 because I didn't like the risk it presented to me visually and thought I could score better going 7w, hybrid, 7i into the green instead. Wound up going 7w,4H, 6i into it cause I didn't see it was a back pin till I got around the corner to it/it got breezy all of a sudden.

I may play that hole that way from now on, it's much easier than hitting some sort of punch shot out of the woods and over a pond just to get a third shot still around the 150 mark.

I'm the furthest from stubborn.

I'll hit anything from driver to 5 hybrid depending on hole. Too bad I'm not capitalizing on hitting so many damn fairways.

I hit a wide veriety of clubs of the tee. Im not a massively long hitter, but some of the smaller courses there is no point in me hitting driver. Practicing for the mc has also convinced me to leave myself multiple distances into green..

I was stubborn last year unless it was a lay up hole off the tee or was super tight it was driver all the way.

This yr course management will be in full effect.

August 15th last year was the last time I gamed my driver after fighting it for the couple of months prior. I went with irons only and started playing mostly a 4i or 5i from the tee. Occasionally I'd pull my old 3i from my very first set of clubs but it didn't really perform well. I think it did wonders for my ball striking ability since I was pretty inconsistent with my irons before that. I still have my problems, but nowhere near as bad.

I'm hoping the 8 month without hitting my driver will get rid of the bad habits and allow me to relearn to hit it this spring.

I still carry a driver but rarely use it. Since going to my current 3W, I'm not hitting my second from the trees nearly as much. I'll go down to my 5I if all else fails.

Never been a driver only guy, having grown up on a short, tight Donald Ross protegee design - pretty much will hit whatever club puts me in the fairway in a position to at least par the hole.

I will hit iron off the tee if I think it gives me the best shot of hitting the green with my 2nd shot.

For example 290 yd par 4, I will hit a 6 or 7 iron to give myself a full shot into the green and hopefully a shot at bird, with a very good look at par.

That's some solid tee-work, War. I am definitely not stubborn on this topic. If a decent 3-wood (or hybrid, even) puts me in a favorable fairway position, I won't even think about pulling driver. Also, if I figure-out I'm having a crap day with a particular club, on the tee, I'll leave it in the bag, even if it means some longer 2nd shots.

Come to think of it, I can recall several occasions, last season, where I hit 4-iron off the tee, just for position - was on a shorter Par 4, though.

On my home course I'm too stubborn, I go to the blues, play 6500, and go home. I end up with mostly wedges or 9i's at that length on my course and really need to play the tips (6900) and the whites (6000) more often to mic up my tee and fairway club choices.

I love this thread idea.

I play whatever club will give me the best chance at being in the fairway with a good place for my second shot. Whatever club that might be.

Back