Ball Position With Irons

Scrap Iron

On The Eh Team
Reaction score
Handicap
Hero Shots
I'm just wondering what everyone does for ball position with their irons. Do you move it around as your clubs get longer or do you play everything forward or further back in your stance. Also how consistent is your ball striking with your method?

I play everything forward in my stance at the same spot for every iron and find that once or twice a round I hit big ol' fat one the other 80 shots a round are all very consistent and predictable for me.

I used to move it around but now I pretty much play it forward in my stance EXCEPT with my wedges around the green. I will play the ball towards the middle and open the face a little if I need to flop it. Or towards the back almost behind my feet with the shaft pressed forward if I want to keep it low and have it roll out onto the green.

My striking on my clubs are always a bit more consistent with the ball slightly towards the middle of my swing with everything but driver. Tried putting the ball where you are "supposed to" up in line with my left ear and pretty much hit every single shot fat.

I'm from the "play the ball from same position with every iron" school (given it's a normal shot). When I started playing it was what Hogan and Nicklaus did so I figured that was good enough for me. You just have to find the bottom of your swing and play it there.

I play the ball middle to backwards in the stance for all irons. Mid for hybrid and toe for 3 wood and driver

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

I play the ball middle to backwards in the stance for all irons. Mid for hybrid and toe for 3 wood and driver

This. I find backwards in the stance lets me pick the ball up better from the ground where as middle or a touch forward results in bad shots.

Same place for my irons ... slightly forward of middle ...

I used to creep the ball forward a bit with my longer irons, but my instructor has me playing all iron shots from the middle of my stance. It has gotten me making much better consistent contact.

This. I find backwards in the stance lets me pick the ball up better from the ground where as middle or a touch forward results in bad shots.

It is something I have recently changed, work on in my practice routine. It helps me with consistent ball striking

On full swings, every iron get played off the middle of my left pec. Wedges are just to the left of my sternum. Woods are between my left heel and middle of my pec.

I'm just wondering what everyone does for ball position with their irons. Do you move it around as your clubs get longer or do you play everything forward or further back in your stance. Also how consistent is your ball striking with your method?

I am dead center using my zipper as a guide (generalization). However it is one of the ways I manipulate ball flight by moving the ball one or two ball lengths back or forward to change ball flight.

I have been working on ball position and I start with the ball in the same spot and adjust my stance based on iron. Wedges and 9i are in middle of stance, with narrow stance. 8&7i just a tad forward of that with slightly wider stance and it moves u a tad for the rest of the irons.

Wedges I'll play just to the right of my sternum, 9i-7i are at my sternum, 6i-4i are just left of my sternum.

Fairways are off of my left pec and driver off of my heel (or toe if I want to hit a cut). I've tried the method of putting the ball off of my left pec and then varying rear foot position, but it's never worked well for me.

I play the ball dead middle of my stance with every iron and my wedges. Hybrid (and FWs when I have them) get played about a ball forward of center.

When I started playing, I was told to play long irons up and short irons back. I think today most teach hit everything out of the same spot.
I used to be very exaggerated with that, but have tightened it up as I've tightened up over the years. Probably 8" between position for 4i and wedges now, but still hit the shorter clubs back in the stance.

Ball is positioned in the middle of a narrow stance, but I shift my weight to the left side before I swing. That moves it back a little from center.

Ball position for irons are one ball forward of centre.

Ball position for my irons is pretty much in the middle - probably only a difference of an inch or so between my 5 iron and my wedges. Hybrid and fairway woods are maybe an inch forward of my 5 iron, and driver an inch or two more forward. On the whole not much variation.

6-9 is usually right in the middle. 3W-5i I move up just a little bit. Wedges are just a little to the right of my zipper.

I am dead center using my zipper as a guide (generalization). However it is one of the ways I manipulate ball flight by moving the ball one or two ball lengths back or forward to change ball flight.

Exactly. Ball moves for flight or sidehill lies only.

I play everything forward with the exception being wedges which I'll play middle or sometimes even 1-2 ball widths back. Around the green wedges go further back. In general, my contact has been more consistent this way and I've developed a bit of a draw due to playing the ball forward. It helps me realize the ball is too far forward when I start turning the draw into a big hook. When I get it just right, I'm straight as an arrow.

I'm from the "play the ball from same position with every iron" school (given it's a normal shot). When I started playing it was what Hogan and Nicklaus did so I figured that was good enough for me. You just have to find the bottom of your swing and play it there.

I do the same and for the same reason ever since I started playing and is why I am so very good :) yea right :(
But really, I have tried to experiment and always ended up back up front as its where I am most comfy.
As other have said and also as you imply (for normal shots). But special circumstances and also greenside play changes things. For me anyway.

I am dead center until my 6 iron. Starting with my 6 iron I move it slightly forward in my stance.

Back