UST Mamiya & THP Shaft Spectacular - February 2016

Obviously, I'm really hoping I get selected for this - but if I don't, I can't wait to follow. I think these are going to be fantastic.

Sounds like window of opportunity to enter this event is winding down. Get in while you can!

Maybe today is the day? We shall see!

This would be a great announcement to kick of the week.

Yes, a Monday announcement would be great!

Hopefully I am not too late!!

Driver – In my Bridgestone J38 is the stock Fujikura Motore F1 65 Stiff, this shaft is tipped so it plays stiffer than most S shafts. I have looked at getting another shaft multiple times but have just pulled the trigger. Would love to see if there was a shaft that would give a more piercing ball flight and a little more distance.

Fairway wood – I currently have the 13*, 15* and 16.5* Taylormade V-steel, in the 15* and 16.5* I have True Temper X100 shafts tipped 1”, I have had multiple different shafts in these woods, but have gone with control over distance with the X100 shafts. Currently, in the 13* I do not even have a shaft, just cannot find anything that I like.

Hybrid – In my Adams hybrid I have the KBS Tour hybrid shaft in X-flex. This hybrid came with the Adila Voodoo 85 originally but never liked the kick in that shaft always left the ball out to the right. The KBS is great from the tee box, but from the fairway the ball comes out a little low and hot so keeping it on the green is difficult.

Irons – In my Bridgestone J33 Combo irons I have the Nippon NS Pro Modus 3 120 Gram. Love these shafts, has great spin control and the dispersion on mishits has been very condensed since using these shafts, previously in these irons I had the True Temper S400.
I also have a set of Ben Hogan Apex that I bring out every once in a while and in those I currently have the Ben Hogan Apex 4 shafts. I have had KBS and X100 in them before as well, but the Apex 4 feels the best. Would love to try recoils or steelfiber.

Wedges – In my 46* and 53* wedges I have the NS Pro WV Wedge 125 Gram. Love this shaft, is very easy to control distance and ball flight. I recently got the Taylormade TP 58*. This came with the KBS Tour wedge shaft. I was very surprised with the feel and for now have left this shaft in the 58*. Once it warms will head to the range and compare the Modus and the KBS to see which direction I go.

Putter – stock shaft, it is black and matches the head and grip on the putter so looks super sleek and since it has the matte black finish I do not get any of those crazy glares in sunny TX. I was fitted to a 34” shaft in a putter 5 or so years ago, would love to get fitted again and see if this is the same. Has felt off the last couple of years.

kap: don't think you're too late but you do need to be an Albatross Club member - get signed up bud!!

No need to sign up Kap.....it's not going to be any fun......really.....seriously........no need. :D

I'd love to get picked for any of the trips to UST, but I have a huge interest in getting educated in iron shafts now.

My SS w/ a 7i is in the mid to high 70s, so I always just assumed I get better performance from a mid to light weight shaft. Recently I bought a set of irons with Nippon Modus Tour 130s with the intention of swapping out the shafts to a lighter option. After a couple of rounds now, I'm really confused because I'm hitting these shafts better (distance & dispersion) than anything I can remember.

Anyone else like stupid school girl giddy to find out if you made it into this?

We are keeping this one open for some last minute signups through the end of the day/night tonight and then in the coming days will announce.

Thanks for extending the entry deadline JB! Here's my info

Driver - TaylorMade Jetspeed 10.5° w/stock Matrix Velox T Stiff - I'm using this shaft because when I bought my driver during a buy one get a 3 Wood for free sale and I hit the stiff better than the other stock offerings. I would love to be fit into a driver shaft, but at the time I didn't have the budget to pass up the deal since I was in the market for a new driver & 3 Wood.

Woods - TalyorMade Jetspeed 3-Wood 15° w/stock Matrix Velox T Stiff - I'm using this shaft because when I bought my driver I got a 3 Woods for free and I hit the stiff better than the other stock offerings. I would love to be fit into a wood shaft, but at the time I didn't have the budget to pass up the deal since I was in the market for a new driver & 3 Wood.

Hybrid - Nike SQ Sumo 2-Hybird 18° w/stock Mitsubishi Rayon Sasquatch hDiamana Stiff - I'm using this shaft because I bought this hybrid when I first started golfing and it's stayed with me the entire time. When I bought it I didn't want to spend the money on fancy shafts, was just trying to learn the game, and I still love the flight I get off it. Although it does tend to get higher than I would like.

Irons - Callaway Apex 4-PW w/KBS Tour-V 110 Stiff - These I was actually fit into a big box store. No complaints, but I do think I didn't really have the ability to do as much fitting as I would have like. I guess you get what you pay for at the bix boxes though.

Wedges - Grind Golf 51° 59° w/I don't remember & Callaway MD3 Milled 56° S Grind w/TT Dynamic Gold Wedge - All these wedges are being played with what came in them because I never really thought much about experimenting with wedge shafts.

48 hours to enter.
I was asked to keep it open a couple of more days.

I think this would be phenomenal. timing just doesn't work for me.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

48 hours to enter.
I was asked to keep it open a couple of more days.
Good for late-comers, and also gives me a chance to bump it with a tweet this evening.

Here is my submission information:

Driver (TM R15 TP) - Graffaloy NT65 Proto, xstiff
I just installed this shaft in my driver (2 rounds played), replacing a Project X 6.0 stiff. Swapped because I was looking for more consistency off the tee, and that is exactly what I have achieved so far!!

3-wood (Adams LP) - ProjectX, stiff
Rarely use this club, opting to use my 3-iron.

Irons (TM Rocketbladez) - KBS Tour 90, stiff
No reason here, they came with these shafts when I purchased them new. Based on what I have seen with my driver, I am considering xstiff here too.

Wedges and putter have stock shafts, not even sure what they are...

Would love to take a deeper dive into the various shaft options that would benefit me!! Thanks for the consideration.

Here is my submission information:

Driver (TM R15 TP) - Graffaloy NT65 Proto xstiff
I just installed this shaft in my driver (2 rounds played), replacing a Project X 6.0 stiff. Swapped because I was looking for more consistency off the tee, and that is exactly what I have achieved so far!!

3-wood (Adams

Irons (TM Rocketbladez) - KBS Tour 90 stiff
No reason here, they came with these shafts when I purchased them new. Based on what I have seen with my driver, I am considering xstiff here too...

Wedges and putter have stock shafts

Stevie just make sure to sign up for the Albatross Club so you can be in the running :act-up:

Very grateful this was left open an extra couple days, as I completely forgot to sign up. Nice.

Driver: Callaway GBB with a Grandura 590. Launches high, maybe a bit too high on windy days. Still trying to figure that one out.
3w: Callaway GBB 15 degrees with either the stock Rogue 70, Project X LZ 6.0, Matrix TPHDe, or AD-DI 7. I just like messing around with shafts for this club, no other reason.
7w: Alternate between a GBB Heavenwood and a TM SLDRs 20 degree both with a AD DI-7. Trying to figure out which one I hit better all around. Both work well for me, which is nice.
Hybrid: TM SLDRs with the stock Speeder hybrid shaft. Fills the gap I want, that was pretty much the determining factor.
Irons: Callaway XR Pros with KBS C Tapers. Started out with KBS Tour V's, but they didn't seem to pair well for me. I was losing a lot of control in windy conditions, and a lot of distance into the wind. C Tapers at least solved some of that.
Wedges: TM Tour Preferred 50-54-58, all with KBS Tour V wedge shafts. LOVE this pairing for me.

Huge opportunity from UST Mamiya and THP, can't wait to see what's in store for the two February winners!

While at the same it has me kicking myself for not being able to make this even an option for happening.

Okay everybody, this is officially the last day to enter.

Man I hope I'm picked to kick this thing off.

R15 10.5 - I have the stock 75 gram stiff flex shaft now. I used to use my SLDR 67 gram stiff flex in it because it was launching too low until I fixed my swing a bit. Open to trying any shaft.

FW RBZ2 stock 60 gram rocket fuel? regular flex in a 3 and 5 wood. I used the regular shaft in these because starting this year I couldn't get a stiff flex fairway wood in the air off the deck. Looking to change these shafts.

TM Jetspeed 3HL - Stock Matrix 69 gram stiff. I got this to replace my regular flex 3w since they carry about the same distance. I have some issues getting it in the air as high as the RBZ so I usually only use it off the tee. I think a happy medium would be a 60 gram stiff with a slightly softer tip but would love a true fitting.

TM SLDR 3H 82 gram speeder stiff. This is a great hybrid that I can actually keep a low trajectory with. Would be curious to see what a slightly lighter shaft would do.

Adams A12 OS with stock stiff 60? gram prolaunch shaft. Can't hit this low to save my life and would love to find a happy medium between this shaft and the one in my SLDR. I bought this totally based of the cost and my budget.

A12OS- Stock stiff and was also bought just for the cost. I have never even considered my iron shafts and would love to learn about them and find one for my game. Totally clueless in this area.

Adams Tom Watson stock wedges- Once again bought for the cost. I can't keep these low very well and would love to learn about wedge shafts and what will work best for me.

My mom also lives in DFW so this would be awesome

Very grateful this was left open an extra couple days, as I completely forgot to sign up. Nice.

Driver: Callaway GBB with a Grandura 590. Launches high, maybe a bit too high on windy days. Still trying to figure that one out.
3w: Callaway GBB 15 degrees with either the stock Rogue 70, Project X LZ 6.0, Matrix TPHDe, or AD-DI 7. I just like messing around with shafts for this club, no other reason.
7w: Alternate between a GBB Heavenwood and a TM SLDRs 20 degree both with a AD DI-7. Trying to figure out which one I hit better all around. Both work well for me, which is nice.
Hybrid: TM SLDRs with the stock Speeder hybrid shaft. Fills the gap I want, that was pretty much the determining factor.
Irons: Callaway XR Pros with KBS C Tapers. Started out with KBS Tour V's, but they didn't seem to pair well for me. I was losing a lot of control in windy conditions, and a lot of distance into the wind. C Tapers at least solved some of that.
Wedges: TM Tour Preferred 50-54-58, all with KBS Tour V wedge shafts. LOVE this pairing for me.

Huge opportunity from UST Mamiya and THP, can't wait to see what's in store for the two February winners!

You sure you want in this after playing o so well against our resident swing guru? I wouldnt temp fate if I was you :alien:

Back