Trying to Break 100

Status
Not open for further replies.
Played Cog Hill on a sim, worked on the swing a little, changed to a stronger grip, seemed to gain a little distance.

Hamfist,

Did you have a lot of fun playing the sim? We have one in town, but I haven't tried it yet. It looks fun, but is costly! Midwestern winters are depressing :)

My wife gave me a Sky Pro swing analyzer for Christmas and I've been playing around with that when I can.

Dave

Played 8 today. Skipped a par three to get past a slow elderly couple. Topped 70% of my shots including a topped putt. Highly doubt I would have broke 50. I did get back to back pars with a birdie putt missing by a couple inches.

Played Cog Hill on a sim, worked on the swing a little, changed to a stronger grip, seemed to gain a little distance.

Which course did you play?

Hamfist,

Did you have a lot of fun playing the sim? We have one in town, but I haven't tried it yet. It looks fun, but is costly! Midwestern winters are depressing :)

My wife gave me a Sky Pro swing analyzer for Christmas and I've been playing around with that when I can.

Dave
Dave, yeah, I quite enjoy it. It's like a big interactive video game. Also, it's more mentally engaging than just hitting balls at the range which can sometimes turn me into a zombie.

Which course did you play?
It was named Cog Hill Dubsdread, I think. A name which, everytime I saw it, made me thing of a deep reggae band from Jah-maica, mon.

It was named Cog Hill Dubsdread, I think. A name which, everytime I saw it, made me thing of a deep reggae band from Jah-maica, mon.

Dubsdread is the signature course there, and quite a challenge. We played it on the final day of the#TheGauntlet. It has been the site of the BMW championship 3 times.

Played 8 today. Skipped a par three to get past a slow elderly couple. Topped 70% of my shots including a topped putt. Highly doubt I would have broke 50. I did get back to back pars with a birdie putt missing by a couple inches.

I have a bad habit of topping long putts and leaving myself still an incredibly long putt. Just one of my many putting woes.

Frustrating 105 today with the first four holes destroying confidence. So frustrating to take a step back like that but I think it's just swing inconsistency. Probably time for a few lessons.

Governor's Run: 49/44 for a 93
Darlington CC: 49/47 for a 96

Last year I'd break 100 but then lapse and go back to shooting a 102, or 105. Hoping this year I can consistently stay below 100. As much as I like posting here, I'd really like to post in the Breaking 90 thread in 2016!

Dubsdread is the signature course there, and quite a challenge. We played it on the final day of the#TheGauntlet. It has been the site of the BMW championship 3 times.
I wouldn't even consider playing a course like that, simply because it would move me to the "I shot my weight!" Thread.

I wouldn't even consider playing a course like that, simply because it would move me to the "I shot my weight!" Thread.
Nah, you should still play courses like that. As a part of #StaffProto we went to Cog Hill the day before and played No. 2 (Ravines). I actually shot a 47 on the front, and if I hadn't imploded (shot a 60 on the back) I would have had a really good round. Always challenge yourself, it's how you'll learn more about yourself and your game.

Maybe one day.

Wonder where this thread went.:bye: It's fun to read your guys progress into the 90's,I'm all in on this quest as well.Its going to be a long road ahead of me,but I'm positive my lessons I took will help.Havent finished a round in a decade where another partner wouldn't tell me to pick it up or give me unlimited gimmies.If I played everything out my true scores would be 125ish/or slightly to considerably higher
My pro set me with a plan to play the senior or red tees the whole year.Count every shot and never take any gimmies or pick ups.A little daunting of a task,but I have faith in his recommendations.If I stick to his teachings and playing recommendations he assured me 90 will be attainable.Anyother 100 players doing the red or senior tees to learn the game better?

Chip, it's very doable.

If you have any distance at all, like if you can hit a 7 iron about 140 yds, you can play bogey golf from the red tees by leaving the driver in the bag. Just go out and try to bogey every hole. Tee off maybe with your 6 iron. Even on par 5s. If you can be accurate with your shots and par the par 3s, bogey the rest of the holes, you could even shoot an 86. But it's not as easy as it sounds. Golf happens. 90 is very doable. Follow your pro's plan and practice.

Since I'm over 60, I play 5600 - 5800 yds at most anyway. I don't have to suffer with longer. Since I'm a woman I could play from the forward tees and do so if I'm playing a long course where the front tees are 5500 yds or longer. My club plays 5200 yds. I can't play driver from that length. I could play from the white tees. I just don't want to because I don't have to. I want to have more fun on the course.

Chip, it's very doable.

If you have any distance at all, like if you can hit a 7 iron about 140 yds, you can play bogey golf from the red tees by leaving the driver in the bag. Just go out and try to bogey every hole. Tee off maybe with your 6 iron. Even on par 5s. If you can be accurate with your shots and par the par 3s, bogey the rest of the holes, you could even shoot an 86. But it's not as easy as it sounds. Golf happens. 90 is very doable. Follow your pro's plan and practice.

Since I'm over 60, I play 5600 - 5800 yds at most anyway. I don't have to suffer with longer. Since I'm a woman I could play from the forward tees and do so if I'm playing a long course where the front tees are 5500 yds or longer. My club plays 5200 yds. I can't play driver from that length. I could play from the white tees. I just don't want to because I don't have to. I want to have more fun on the course.
Being realistic,I would say 7 iron 120 ish max.Driver 190 ish max,Never got an exact yardage as my consistency of even getting the ball in the air has been questionable at times.

Being realistic,I would say 7 iron 120 ish max.Driver 190 ish max,Never got an exact yardage as my consistency of even getting the ball in the air has been questionable at times.

Lessons bud !

Chip, have you played a nine just using a 7-iron and a putter? There are some teachers who recommend finding one "security blanket" club that you have total confidence in. Might be you need to just use that one club for a round, and just get comfortable with it.

Chip, have you played a nine just using a 7-iron and a putter? There are some teachers who recommend finding one "security blanket" club that you have total confidence in. Might be you need to just use that one club for a round, and just get comfortable with it.

No,never tried this out at all.But the 7 iron is probably my best percentage club to get in the air out of all of them.Im thinking instead of playing the red tees off of a regulation course this year I might just play a par 3 course.Not being a Debbie downer here at all,but I hit today again and it was terrible results.Just terrible again.Hate to bother the pro,but his lessons aren't working at all.Im saddened because everyone here is so upbeat about their games.I started bad and I've progressed to very bad now.My local neighbor is city champ,I might see if he can help me with some quick tips.This really stinks for my chances to break 100 fairly

No,never tried this out at all.But the 7 iron is probably my best percentage club to get in the air out of all of them.Im thinking instead of playing the red tees off of a regulation course this year I might just play a par 3 course.Not being a Debbie downer here at all,but I hit today again and it was terrible results.Just terrible again.Hate to bother the pro,but his lessons aren't working at all.Im saddened because everyone here is so upbeat about their games.I started bad and I've progressed to very bad now.My local neighbor is city champ,I might see if he can help me with some quick tips.This really stinks for my chances to break 100 fairly

If you go to the course or range thinking that it will go wrong, it will go wrong. Just try to relax and not think too much... Easier said than done? Maybe but the more you have on your mind, the more it will affect your game.

There's no stigma in changing your teacher. If you don't feel it is going the right way for you, then let them know and move on. Hell, Tiger changed coaches 4-5 times.

Sorry, not trying to give arm chair lessons here or anything, but what is happening with the misses? Are you topping? Hitting the ball fat -- ground first and then ball?

I think everyone in the northern USA can be upbeat this time of year because there is no golf :)

We'll be broken of our optimism half-way through the first round of the year! LOL

Dave

A lot of ground first than the ball.Nothing left/most right and more right of my net.Almost like I'm missing the ball.Makes no sense as I'm also standing somewhat close to ball and not far away.Honestly have no idea what I'm doing right or wrong.Maybe it is hitting into a net and not off of real turf?

A lot of ground first than the ball.Nothing left/most right and more right of my net.Almost like I'm missing the ball.Makes no sense as I'm also standing somewhat close to ball and not far away.Honestly have no idea what I'm doing right or wrong.Maybe it is hitting into a net and not off of real turf?
I have trouble with this from time to time. For me, it's a matter of losing focus and lifting my head before I make contact. I'd hate to give you advice, as we're all routinely posting in this thread for a reason, but I've found that focusing on the back of the ball through contact has helped me keep my head steady, and produced somewhat more consistent ball contact. As for standing close to the ball, I've always read that if you can place a fist between the butt of your club and your waist, you're alright. If you can't fit a fist in there, you're too close.

Was talking with a friend the other day who gave up golf but worked his tail off with little results.He was heavily into lessons,but was overwhelmed by the changes.Would be nice beforehand if you can find out if the pro is looking to change everything or just work with what you have.As a less than casual golfer,I had no idea what I was getting myself into with lessons.Everyone spoke so highly of the guy I went to

Was talking with a friend the other day who gave up golf but worked his tail off with little results.He was heavily into lessons,but was overwhelmed by the changes.Would be nice beforehand if you can find out if the pro is looking to change everything or just work with what you have.As a less than casual golfer,I had no idea what I was getting myself into with lessons.Everyone spoke so highly of the guy I went to
It's possible he's not a good fit for you. I've been through three instructors (they keep moving away) and each one gave me my first lesson for free to see if we would be a good fit together. I wouldn't expect such, but you could always find a new instructor and ask him to give you an abbreviated first lesson just to see how you two mesh and see if he can honestly explain to you what his approach is going to be. If you're uncomfortable with it, you're out a few bucks and he got paid for his time, but neither of you invested too much too early.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back