Callaway Great Big Bertha Driver Review Thread

This club feels good and sound a good. Even with some bad contact today the ball still jumps off the face.

Can't wait to get this out on my course next weekend so I can make some more knowledgeable comparisons to my previous driver. I know I hit 3 or 4 yesterday that seemed quite long for me. Hit one ball off the heel, which I rarely do, and could not believe how much distance I still got out of it. Pounded numerous beautiful looking shots on the range yesterday before the round. Wish now I would have asked JB if I could get some FlightScope data on a few swings but was having too much fun hitting it and didn't think about it.

Took this out the other day with the AD DI-6x. The ball was flying pretty well, not as long as when I hit it originally but the face was still very generous with my mishits. All was well and good, ended up +1 71 with 9/14 fairways. The bad news for the GBB was, I wasn't tired yet, so I went out for 5 more. This time I swung the XR Pro bumped up to 10 with lead tape on the toe, and that combo was deep. It wasn't as forgiving but the launch was a little higher and much longer. Probably 15 yards longer for me. If the XR is this good next time, there isnt much hope for the GBB.

Sent from my SM-G925W8 using Tapatalk

I just can't seem to figure this club out. Lead tape will be applied tonight

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Saw in the XR16 thread you had a good lesson with the GBB and I didn't want to get off topic over there. Did you get the hook worked out? What did you have to change, was it the lead tape?

Hit 4 FW's today...prob my worst driving round in a long time...Duck Hooky...not one fully solid shot. GBB is to be replaced. Shot even par 72, thanks to the smooth rolled greens I made some putts (30)
Weird that a driver would induce a duck hook, considering that is usually a swing flaw.

Odd.

Nice 72 though, impressive round when you only hit 4 FWs.

Saw in the XR16 thread you had a good lesson with the GBB and I didn't want to get off topic over there. Did you get the hook worked out? What did you have to change, was it the lead tape?

Yes it got worked out. Took about 3 swings for my instructor to see the hook was caused by swaying during my downswing. After 15 minutes with him my swing tighten up and turn the GBB drive from a headache to a downrange bomber for me. Used the same settings I've been using(-1*/N) with APW set just inside "FADE" wording. The began to launch higher but not balloon. Also evidently I have no clue as to how to set up/align my feet when swinging a club.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

So in today's round with a fellow THPer, I continued to hit the GBB and Grandura combination like no other combo I have hit in the past. This course has GPS built in that gives you your driving distance and I flew to some places on the course I had not seen before (first time playing there in a long while). Overall, I test each product that comes out, but this one has me happy.

So in today's round with a fellow THPer, I continued to hit the GBB and Grandura combination like no other combo I have hit in the past. This course has GPS built in that gives you your driving distance and I flew to some places on the course I had not seen before (first time playing there in a long while). Overall, I test each product that comes out, but this one has me happy.
Best I have ever seen you off the tee. And, I think I have seen you hit just about every driver that has been released int he past 4 years. COMPLETELY different tee game for you with this one.

Best I have ever seen you off the tee. And, I think I have seen you hit just about every driver that has been released int he past 4 years. COMPLETELY different tee game for you with this one.

Thanks. I would like to say I have been working on my tee game and my swing, but that's just not the case. The only thing that changed is the club.

Patiently waiting for your findings

I got out Friday and put the GBB through the paces. Impressed is all I can say. I tried 4 different shafts in it and my best results were with the Fubuki Regular flex. I missed 2 fairways, 1 each with the Tour Blue and the White Tie. The Bassara shaft is a senior flex and it just did not feel quite right. I do plan to give it another try though. I did dial the 13.5 down a degree and am not sure that I might like a 10.5* head, I did hit a few shots very, very high but they still had good distance.

So far I am having fun and enjoying dialing this driver in. Tomorrow I will give it another run, this time in 40* weather so the senior flex may be a better option then, we will see.

Nice, DD! Dial it in some more! Sounds like this one is going to be a solid setup in your bag.

Well my wife was true to her word and we hit the golf store yesterday and I was gifted a new GBB 10.5* driver with the stock KK stiff shaft, as a birthday present. The store has a flightscope, but they don't have a full range of shafts to do a proper fitting. So I'll give the combo a go and see how I fair. The manager did say that he will order me in a different shaft if I wasn't having any enjoy with the KK. I'll have to book in a session with a local pro who has a trackman and see what the figures are like. I can't wait to get it out on the course, to see how the club performs.

However, one thing I don't like is the stock grip, which will be changed in due course. I'm I the only one in this boat?

I long to hit this thing....

Man the weather in KC has absolutely SUCKED lately.

I was going to hold off until I hit the new XR and XR pro models, but I found a deal I couldn't refuse and my new GBB 9* with the Kuro Kage shaft is on it's way!!!

So today I went out in 41* temps that rose to 46* while I was on the course. Today I gave swings to each of my 4 shaft options, all of them were pretty close to the distances I have hit in the past few weeks but the temps were in the 60s then. There was one exception though, I was hitting the senior flex Bassara 10 to 15 yards longer today, Hummmmmm. I think I may have the shaft I will be using for the next few months at least. Now to begin to tinker with the different settings although I am not sure I will do too much with it. I have the loft at 12.5* and the cog on the Draw setting. I have not moved the sliding weight as yet from the neutral setting.

I don't have any problems hitting fairways at all, I did not keep stats or score as I was sometimes changing out the shaft 3 times on a single tee but I only recall being out of 2 fairways and neither was too far off course maybe 15 feet. I am loving the sound at impact and how easy this driver is to hit. I am a short knocker and even my mishits today were getting out there 200 yards, the longest I measured today was 236 which is long for me now. The Big Bertha stayed in my bag for 2 years and this GBB looks like it will make at least that long too.

I am looking forward to getting out again Wednesday and seeing how this bad boy does in our weekly scramble.

236 is nothing to sneeze at buddy! Very nice and glad the GBB is getting it done for you!

That was the best, but at least I got it out there. Wish I could get it out there like that more often instead of 210-215, lol.

That was the best, but at least I got it out there. Wish I could get it out there like that more often instead of 210-215, lol.

Just play the downhill/downwind holes. That always makes me feel better.:D

Put in some work with the GBB today and once I got my alignment straight I was hitting some bombs. The setup at N +2 works well for me now, and I'm enjoying the Fuji shaft. I can't wait to get this thing out on the course!

Put in some work with the GBB today and once I got my alignment straight I was hitting some bombs. The setup at N +2 works well for me now, and I'm enjoying the Fuji shaft. I can't wait to get this thing out on the course!

Is it wrong that I want to install a golf simulator in my house while it is in the teens outside so I can hit my newest toy?

Is there anyway I can justify this to my wife???

Is it wrong that I want to install a golf simulator in my house while it is in the teens outside so I can hit my newest toy?

Haha, yeah there's no sneaking something like that in the house. Good luck on that one :wink:

heck no! I dream about having a decent sim all the time. Always trying to figure out how to work it into my house. :D

and dreaming about Callaway shipping my GBB so I can join the fun you all are having in this thread. My GBB and irons have been "backordered for 3-5 days" for two weeks now, LOL.

So today I went out in 41* temps that rose to 46* while I was on the course. Today I gave swings to each of my 4 shaft options, all of them were pretty close to the distances I have hit in the past few weeks but the temps were in the 60s then. There was one exception though, I was hitting the senior flex Bassara 10 to 15 yards longer today, Hummmmmm. I think I may have the shaft I will be using for the next few months at least. Now to begin to tinker with the different settings although I am not sure I will do too much with it. I have the loft at 12.5* and the cog on the Draw setting. I have not moved the sliding weight as yet from the neutral setting.

I don't have any problems hitting fairways at all, I did not keep stats or score as I was sometimes changing out the shaft 3 times on a single tee but I only recall being out of 2 fairways and neither was too far off course maybe 15 feet. I am loving the sound at impact and how easy this driver is to hit. I am a short knocker and even my mishits today were getting out there 200 yards, the longest I measured today was 236 which is long for me now. The Big Bertha stayed in my bag for 2 years and this GBB looks like it will make at least that long too.

I am looking forward to getting out again Wednesday and seeing how this bad boy does in our weekly scramble.

You will get it right, still early in the process. Better weather will allow you to determine for sure your best shaft option.

heck no! I dream about having a decent sim all the time. Always trying to figure out how to work it into my house. :D

and dreaming about Callaway shipping my GBB so I can join the fun you all are having in this thread. My GBB and irons have been "backordered for 3-5 days" for two weeks now, LOL.

Ouch, my order for Irons is still "being processed" for the last week. Standard shafts/grips, just short and flat 2*, hope they get sent out soon!

Worked on the driver for the majority of my lesson today and absolutely MURDERED a few shots. One shot my instructor just dropped the club he was holding and said "Well, I guess the lesson is over." I frickin' love this driver :D!!!

Back