Santa Barbara, CA

UglySwing

Reaction score
Handicap
Yes
The family is away, so I had some extra time to play golf.

I played Tierra Rejada (Moorpark, CA) on Sunday.

-I live in Ventura, and we have some decent courses nearby that are very reasonable in cost.

I love this course. Lots of really beautiful views, and challenging holes (especially on the front 9).
In my opinion, this is the most underrated course in the Ventura area.

Yesterday, I played 18 at Sandpiper for the first time.

There are 2 holes in particular (10 and 11) that are both breathtaking and beautifully laid out.
Sandpiper is a good course. As a local, I paid $90 with a cart. I could see myself going back there a couple of times a year.
However, if you're not a local, I believe the cost is $190 with a cart. I wouldn't pay $190 to play it.

I've read a few times where it is referred to as 'Pebble Beach South'. That would be someone affiliated with Sandpiper that is promoting it as such.
I don't think the average golfer walks away thinking 'I just played Pebble Beach South'

After finishing at Sandpiper, we went over to GlenAnnie, which is very close to Sandpiper.
Paid $55 with the cart (I think it was the twilight rate).
I really, really enjoyed this course. Very nicely laid out and maintained. Hot cart girls are always a bonus too.

Even if the price was the same, I'd prefer to play GlenAnnie. Again, maybe a couple times a year, I might head over to Samdpiper just to play on the ocean...but for pure golf (with beautiful views too), it's Glenannie for me.

La Purisima is the next course I want to play up that way. Heard great things about it.

Aside: At Samdpiper, if you weren't on the fairway, they had this beautifully manicured Bermuda grass. It looked like it would be so easy to hit off of (looked as nice as some of the fairways I've played!)...but that stuff would just grab your club face and wreak havoc with your shot.

I'm sure a lot of you are quite familiar with how to play off of it, but I was absolutely dumbfounded by it. I've never seen it, or played off of it before.

Have you played Soule Park up in Ojai, My dad used to live up there very fun course. Used to be really reasonable (like $25) not sure now.

Glen Annie is really similar to Tierra Rejada imo. La Purisima is fun. It was in pretty good shape the last time I played there.

Have you played Soule Park up in Ojai, My dad used to live up there very fun course. Used to be really reasonable (like $25) not sure now.
I like the layout for Soule (I've played it 4-5 times), and I love Ojai (I live 20 minutes from Soule).

The last couple of times, the greens weren't very well kept...so much so that myself, nor the other 3 guys I go with, ever really had a strong desire to go back. There were ball marks all over the greens. The ball looked like it was 4-wheelin' trying to get to the hole.

Glen Annie is really similar to Tierra Rejada imo. La Purisima is fun. It was in pretty good shape the last time I played there.

Yeah...I thought that too. That's probably why I like both those courses so much.

I used to go to Sandpiper to use the range when I was in college at SB. Absolutely gorgeous setting for a course. As for Glen Annie, it was my favorite in the area and some where I'd play as I was just starting to play golf. Love the elevations and on a clear day, you used to be able to see the ocean.

I agree with your assessment of the two courses. Sandpiper is a fine course, more for the views than the course IMO. Glen Annie is a fine course with a few very fun holes, and like you mentioned...hot cart girls.

LaP is a great course, much tougher than Sand Piper and Glen Annie. Another good course in the area is Rancho San Marcos, although only when there has been rain. They have zero water access and the course has been a dirt track the last few years. When its in shape its a fantastic course!

I like the layout for Soule (I've played it 4-5 times), and I love Ojai (I live 20 minutes from Soule).

The last couple of times, the greens weren't very well kept...so much so that myself, nor the other 3 guys I go with, ever really had a strong desire to go back. There were ball marks all over the greens. The ball looked like it was 4-wheelin' trying to get to the hole.

Thats too bad, I haven't played there in several years, greens used to be great for a municipal course. I could play Soule park 5 times for the cost of one round at the Ojai Valley Inn.

I agree with your assessment of the two courses. Sandpiper is a fine course, more for the views than the course IMO. Glen Annie is a fine course with a few very fun holes, and like you mentioned...hot cart girls.

LaP is a great course, much tougher than Sand Piper and Glen Annie. Another good course in the area is Rancho San Marcos, although only when there has been rain. They have zero water access and the course has been a dirt track the last few years. When its in shape its a fantastic course!
I used to drive by Rancho San Marcos (when I was a non golfer) and marvel over how pretty it was.
But the last couple of summers, driving by it...it's just sad to see. You almost can't even recognize it as a golf course anymore.

I used to drive by Rancho San Marcos (when I was a non golfer) and marvel over how pretty it was.
But the last couple of summers, driving by it...it's just sad to see. You almost can't even recognize it as a golf course anymore.

I played it this April and it was decent but already starting to really dry out. I had a blast, shot a new personal best on a course I'd never played. Stay tuned, sounds like the so/nor cal groups are planning a head to head battle on the Central Coast.

I played it this April and it was decent but already starting to really dry out. I had a blast, shot a new personal best on a course I'd never played. Stay tuned, sounds like the so/nor cal groups are planning a head to head battle on the Central Coast.

Yes sireee!

The family is away, so I had some extra time to play golf.

I played Tierra Rejada (Moorpark, CA) on Sunday.

-I live in Ventura, and we have some decent courses nearby that are very reasonable in cost.

I love this course. Lots of really beautiful views, and challenging holes (especially on the front 9).
In my opinion, this is the most underrated course in the Ventura area.

Yesterday, I played 18 at Sandpiper for the first time.

There are 2 holes in particular (10 and 11) that are both breathtaking and beautifully laid out.
Sandpiper is a good course. As a local, I paid $90 with a cart. I could see myself going back there a couple of times a year.
However, if you're not a local, I believe the cost is $190 with a cart. I wouldn't pay $190 to play it.

I've read a few times where it is referred to as 'Pebble Beach South'. That would be someone affiliated with Sandpiper that is promoting it as such.
I don't think the average golfer walks away thinking 'I just played Pebble Beach South'

After finishing at Sandpiper, we went over to GlenAnnie, which is very close to Sandpiper.
Paid $55 with the cart (I think it was the twilight rate).
I really, really enjoyed this course. Very nicely laid out and maintained. Hot cart girls are always a bonus too.

Even if the price was the same, I'd prefer to play GlenAnnie. Again, maybe a couple times a year, I might head over to Samdpiper just to play on the ocean...but for pure golf (with beautiful views too), it's Glenannie for me.

La Purisima is the next course I want to play up that way. Heard great things about it.

Aside: At Samdpiper, if you weren't on the fairway, they had this beautifully manicured Bermuda grass. It looked like it would be so easy to hit off of (looked as nice as some of the fairways I've played!)...but that stuff would just grab your club face and wreak havoc with your shot.

I'm sure a lot of you are quite familiar with how to play off of it, but I was absolutely dumbfounded by it. I've never seen it, or played off of it before.

I grew up in Ventura. All the courses you mentioned I loved playing.

Back