Bridgestone J40 Fairway Woods and Hybrids

Finally got my delivery notice for the 2H! :bananadance: Damn work keeping me from my new toy!!!

I'm looking forward to giving my 3+ and 5 wood (Tour ADDI7s) their first run tomorrow. I love the shaft.

So, I've given the 2H a couple of range sessions and I honestly am just not seeing what I hoped to with it. I seem to spray it quite a bit which is a bit of a disappointment. I certainly am not seeing anywhere close to the consistency I hit my 5W directionally, which is absolutely not what I expected. No big deal as I got a great deal on it. Going to stick with my 5W for now though. Still enjoying the 4H.

FWIW, these are now on clearance for <$70 on golfclubs.com.

So, I've given the 2H a couple of range sessions and I honestly am just not seeing what I hoped to with it. I seem to spray it quite a bit which is a bit of a disappointment. I certainly am not seeing anywhere close to the consistency I hit my 5W directionally, which is absolutely not what I expected. No big deal as I got a great deal on it. Going to stick with my 5W for now though. Still enjoying the 4H.

FWIW, these are now on clearance for <$70 on golfclubs.com.

It didn't work out for Jon, but thanks to him, I might be in love.

The 18* 2h J40 arrived from him yesterday and it looks pristine. I can honestly say I don't think another hybo has set up this nicely to my eye. The utter lack of offset that I get with 95% of hybo's out there has me insanely excited. Going to rock the stock PX for a bit and give it a fair shake, but this WILL be replacing my 3 hyron.

Excited!

It didn't work out for Jon, but thanks to him, I might be in love.

The 18* 2h J40 arrived from him yesterday and it looks pristine. I can honestly say I don't think another hybo has set up this nicely to my eye. The utter lack of offset that I get with 95% of hybo's out there has me insanely excited. Going to rock the stock PX for a bit and give it a fair shake, but this WILL be replacing my 3 hyron.

Excited!

Interested to see how it works out for you James! There's a lot of love for the 2H out there. I love the 4H and honestly did quite well with the 3H, it just didn't make sense for gapping.

On Sunday I was playing a course that I knew I would likely be faced with a bunch of shots from 190-205. Decided to throw the 3h in the bag and while it's been in and out for the last month it really hasn't been used. Well on Sunday I used it a ton. I forgot just how easy these hybrids are to hit. Any time I needed to play for a position I used this club and came out good each time. Used it off 2 par 3 tee shots, 1 was 210 and the other was 200 and both times walked away with easy pars(hit 1 green and the other was on the front fringe). Glad it's back in the bag. Now the question is how long can I resit throwing the 4h back in over the AMP Cell.

On Sunday I was playing a course that I knew I would likely be faced with a bunch of shots from 190-205. Decided to throw the 3h in the bag and while it's been in and out for the last month it really hasn't been used. Well on Sunday I used it a ton. I forgot just how easy these hybrids are to hit. Any time I needed to play for a position I used this club and came out good each time. Used it off 2 par 3 tee shots, 1 was 210 and the other was 200 and both times walked away with easy pars(hit 1 green and the other was on the front fringe). Glad it's back in the bag. Now the question is how long can I resit throwing the 4h back in over the AMP Cell.

It is a good problem to have. I like having them both in the bag as I use them for very different situations due to the shaft pairings. I now have a 2h with the VTS shaft that I need to get on the course and see what it can do. The 4h will not leave my bag anytime soon.

Such a great club. I'm glad you're finding success with it a year later Dino!

It is a good problem to have. I like having them both in the bag as I use them for very different situations due to the shaft pairings. I now have a 2h with the VTS shaft that I need to get on the course and see what it can do. The 4h will not leave my bag anytime soon.

I thought about that combo for a while. Let me know how that goes for you because right now I am hitting hybrids WAY better than fairway woods.

I thought about that combo for a while. Let me know how that goes for you because right now I am hitting hybrids WAY better than fairway woods.

Sure will. I am in the same boat and I have been using my longest hybid in place of a fairway wood.

I went with the 2H for the Morgan Cup instead of the 3H and I am really happy that I did....I can hit it almost as far as my 3W and with alot more control...it's also easy to choke down and take 10-15 yards off of it when I need to.....I can flight it up or down and have had pretty good success working the ball with it too.

Very happy with these hybrids.

Gentlemen,
I recently was sent a Bridgestone J40 445 driver to demo from a friend. It is not going back. Mine has a Blue Velvet shaft and it is so solid it reminds me of my old Titleist 975D.Currently have a Titleist 909H with Voodoo stiff flex and an Adams XTD hybrid stiff flex. Like them but was offered a J40 with project x 6.0. I am 56 years old, 102 SS, quick tempo, aggressive transition. That shaft suitable for me or is 5.5 better? Thanks.

Mike

the 3h is back as my go to club. Whether it's laying up on a par 5, tee ball that only needs to be a certain yardage, or even choking up on it and playing a lesser yardage, its just the easiest club in the bag right now to hit. Played 36 on Saturday and any time I needed to hit a shot to put me in a good position I pulled this out of the bag and executed. I know I talked about throwing the 4h bag in the bag, but for now I'm going to keep the AMP Cell in that slot as it's perfect gap between the 3h and my 6 iron.

Gentlemen,
I recently was sent a Bridgestone J40 445 driver to demo from a friend. It is not going back. Mine has a Blue Velvet shaft and it is so solid it reminds me of my old Titleist 975D.Currently have a Titleist 909H with Voodoo stiff flex and an Adams XTD hybrid stiff flex. Like them but was offered a J40 with project x 6.0. I am 56 years old, 102 SS, quick tempo, aggressive transition. That shaft suitable for me or is 5.5 better? Thanks.

Mike

Traditionally speaking, it sounds like you could handle a 6.0. But the 5.5 may work too. It's sort of in between. It may be better to get the 6.0 soft stepped to make it ideal for your swing. Have you been able to get on a simulator/trackman?

Gentlemen,

Mike

A faster tempo and a quick transition is always nice to err on the stiffer side to avoid any shaft wobble I think. It's all about hitting the 6.0 to see if it suits your swing and your misses, and whether you feel like you're leaving anything on the table because of it. Project X labels the shaft as the following:

The Project X driver shaft has a similar bend profile to Project X iron shafts. The driver shaft’s firm tip design yields a penetrating launch and low spin while its low torque and reinforced cross section provide the most stable shaft performance on tour.

I think the biggest issue you might face with the 6.0 paired with the j40 head is limited spin, but in many cases I've seen people work with that if the launch angle is decent. Nothing like watching your drive bounce for 50-75 yards after it lands, eh?

Traditionally speaking, it sounds like you could handle a 6.0. But the 5.5 may work too. It's sort of in between. It may be better to get the 6.0 soft stepped to make it ideal for your swing. Have you been able to get on a simulator/trackman?

While you can soft/hard-step iron shafts, you cannot do so with driver shafts FWIW. Its just flex to flex in the driver, but in fairways and hybrids you can, of course, tip trim the different flexes to have a similar effect as soft/hard stepping in irons.

While you can soft/hard-step iron shafts, you cannot do so with driver shafts FWIW. Its just flex to flex in the driver, but in fairways and hybrids you can, of course, tip trim the different flexes to have a similar effect as soft/hard stepping in irons.

Ahhhh I was using the wrong vocabulary... Thanks for clearing that up! Looks like someone's got a case of the Mondays..... (This guy)

Ahhhh I was using the wrong vocabulary... Thanks for clearing that up! Looks like someone's got a case of the Mondays..... (This guy)

Hahaha, s'all good buddy. Its how we learn dude, just wanted to throw it out there for ya!

One time. He made the same suggestion as you stated . Oddly, I hit irons with KBS tour 90 quite well but they are not spec wise a good fit for me.

Went to the range tonight to work on long irons and play with my new wedge. Brought the J40 4H along for a goof. Guess what's going back in the bag for my round this weekend. :D I do like the G25 but the J40 just works for me. I have basically one distance with g25 but I can dial the J40 back when I need to and it holds up well if I need to step on it. May be another hybrid in the marketplace here soon.

Nice Jon. The J40 stuff is damn good. I cant wait to see what they are coming with this year. Especially in the way of putters.
Went to the range tonight to work on long irons and play with my new wedge. Brought the J40 4H along for a goof. Guess what's going back in the bag for my round this weekend. :D I do like the G25 but the J40 just works for me. I have basically one distance with g25 but I can dial the J40 back when I need to and it holds up well if I need to step on it. May be another hybrid in the marketplace here soon.

Nice Jon. The J40 stuff is damn good. I cant wait to see what they are coming with this year. Especially in the way of putters.

Yeah. The next release should be pretty interesting. A ton of love for their gear. If they make it even better people may start seeing a lot more Bridgestone in bags everywhere. Hopefully they can make the next step to being more readily available.

This week's round cinched it. J40 wins out for me. Don't know what I'm gonna do with the G25 yet but it's going to get moved here soon.

I've been thinking about the j40 hybrid a lot lately. I do believe I need one back in my life. I miss my old one, although I never did get a 'for me' shaft into it.

Design wise it just sets up really well for me. Rarely a hard miss left, hits and sounds a lot like an iron in my opinion, and is perfectly subtle.

I've been thinking about the j40 hybrid a lot lately. I do believe I need one back in my life. I miss my old one, although I never did get a 'for me' shaft into it.

Design wise it just sets up really well for me. Rarely a hard miss left, hits and sounds a lot like an iron in my opinion, and is perfectly subtle.

I can't wait to hit all of your Bridgestone goodness next weekend.

Back