Pick up and mark every putt ? Dont finish your lag putting?

rollin

"Just playin golf pally"
Reaction score
Handicap
Are you the type who just has to pickup, mark, clean, replace every single putt? And/or never finishes the 2nd after a lag putt without doing the same again?

To each his own but I have to admit, it sometimes can get a bit ridiculous and even a tad annoying imo. Not to mention at times too time consuming.

For me I tend to leave my ball more often than not unless its real dirty or of course unless in some ones way. I will finish up from lag putting unless of course again it causes me to walk on some one else.

As for leaving my ball on the green most of the time, I will often tell the group in general that I tend to leave my ball and to please let me know if ever its a distraction. And then as we go from green to green I ask anyone near by enough to my ball (when it happens) if its bothersome.. But of course I will just automatically pick it up every time I know its in or very close to anothers line.

so what's your take (if any) on this and what do you normally do?

If it's within 6 feet or so, I'll usually just putt out unless my feet will be in somebody else's line and half of those times, I'll do the straddle move.

If I'm not going to putt out, I'll mark it so it's not in anyone's sight and I'll keep my pre-putt routine.

Id say 4 feet and out im going through the ordeal. Inside of that its go through the routine

Outside a foot or two no. Even pros miss those. It's a matter of staying in my routine more than anything.

Inside of 3-4', If it's not a straight putt I will mark and go through the routine.

Depends on what I'm playing for and how well I'm playing honestly.

Depends on how I am putting that day. If it's early and I haven't putted much yet, I am going to go through the routine (unless it's a foot or so, then I will knock it in). If I am putting well and I think I should make it, I'll get up there and just putt it. If I am sucking that day, and I'm not away, I mark it and wait my turn.

Why would anyone clean their ball after the initial putt? I've never seen that before in my life...

Why would anyone clean their ball after the initial putt? I've never seen that before in my life...

Sand/dirt on the ball from the initial putt. Happens a fair amount shortly after greens are aerated.

Sand/dirt on the ball from the initial putt. Happens a fair amount shortly after greens are aerated.

Really? Giant holes in the green and people are worried about a few grains of sand? I'm not saying it doesn't happen, just never seen it and don't understand why it would happen.

I putt everything no matter the distance. It's good practice and in my eyes a fair score

Sent from my SM-G900W8 using Tapatalk

If I'm by myself, I never mark the follow up putt if there is one, and sometimes I don't even mark the first. If I'm playing with other people, the only time I mark after my first putt is if I left myself an unfortunately long 2nd putt. other than that I'll just ask to finish up real quick and get out of the way.

I clean the ball before the first putt and marking the ball isn't an integral part of my routine. For this reason, I do not unless my ball is in someone else's line or I would have to step in their line to play my shot.

if it is under 2 feet I will just putt, longer I may mark and adjust my putting line on the ball

Outside of a few feet, every putt gets marked and aligned.

I'm a fast putter, maybe too fast sometimes. When it's my turn to putt the whole routine and putt is completed in about 12 seconds. I don't like aligning anything on my ball with the hole so when I say routine I mean looking one last time at the line, taking the ball out of my pocket, placing it, picking up my ball marker, taking 1 practice stroke and hitting the putt. If I vary more than a couple seconds with my routine, I make fewer putts. More time standing over the putt means more indecision and doubt for me. There was a time in my life when I used to take 25-30 seconds to place my ball and hit the putt, but I missed more putts back then.

In my country, we play with caddies, so they do that for us. However, if there are bets, or if the putt is for birdie or par, I putt out unless the buddies allow the gimme. If there are no bets and a gimme is not given, I putt out. If I'm alone and I'm in a hurry, anything less than putter length I pick up. If I'm running after a serious schedule like a flight or a meeting right after the game, anything on the green more than a putter length is automatic two putts. If I want to make only one putt, I have to make the putt.

Wet greens can also pick up freshly mowed grass on the ball.

I'll tap it in if I leave it really close, but otherwise I mark it and pick it up so somebody else can putt without having to look at my ball.

Really? Giant holes in the green and people are worried about a few grains of sand? I'm not saying it doesn't happen, just never seen it and don't understand why it would happen.
Good point, but sometimes there is sand on the greens from a nearby bunker or topdressing by the superintendent as well without aeration happening.

just have to mark and clean once per hole...then im good to go

inside 3' i'll finish out without marking, but outside it gets marked, cleaned and lined up. unless it's for a number that's already esc'd.

The guys I play with are all fast players. If any of us went through a new, complete "putting routine" more than once on a green they would "hear about it" from the rest of us.

Back