Short chip: club selection/technique

58 for me. Press it a little further forward than normal to get that low bump and run shot usually with a little skip to start.

Rule of 12, then adjust up/down a club based on slope.
Been working on this, and like it a lot. Can usually keep misses fairly tight... recently holed out for eagle during a best shot with a 6 iron using this technique ... definitely wouldn't have been able to pull that off with the 56*

Sent from my SM-N910V using Tapatalk

I used to use a hybrid in the situation you described. I've moved to using a 9 or 7 iron depending on how much grass I'm trying to clear.

54 or 58* wedge depending on the distance and bump and run it. deloft by giving it a bit of a forward press and putting the ball at my back foot, pick a spot as soon onto the green as I can and let it run to the hole.
if you are delofting, hy not use a different club?

Been working on this, and like it a lot. Can usually keep misses fairly tight... recently holed out for eagle during a best shot with a 6 iron using this technique ... definitely wouldn't have been able to pull that off with the 56*

I am cofused by your original post. I see responses that make me scratch my head because you did not speak to the distance of this shot. In all the rounds I have played with THPrs, I have to see anyone use a hybo or FW to perform this shot. What ever the shot might be. So how far are we talking with this shot?

I am cofused by your original post. I see responses that make me scratch my head because you did not speak to the distance of this shot. In all the rounds I have played with THPrs, I have to see anyone use a hybo or FW to perform this shot. What ever the shot might be. So how far are we talking with this shot?
Sorry, I should have specified. It was a chip from just off of the green. It was mostly flat. It was 3 steps towards my landing spot (on said green) then then 19ish from there to the hole... I estimated 1 part fly to 6 parts roll... rule of 12 left me with a 6 iron. Felt a little unorthodox because I hadn't practiced with anything stronger than an 8.

Sorry, I should have specified. It was a chip from just off of the green. It was mostly flat. It was 3 steps towards my landing spot (on said green) then then 19ish from there to the hole... I estimated 1 part fly to 6 parts roll... rule of 12 left me with a 6 iron. Felt a little unorthodox because I hadn't practiced with anything stronger than an 8.

So you're short sided and you're using a six iron? You need to get loft on the ball, a bit of spin and some roll. Non of which can be accomplished with a 6 iron. The tendency is going to be a decel on the shot with less than stellar results. Of course this is based on the shot you described.

So you're short sided and you're using a six iron? You need to get loft on the ball, a bit of spin and some roll. Non of which can be accomplished with a 6 iron. The tendency is going to be a decel on the shot with less than stellar results. Of course this is based on the shot you described.
We can agree on short sided shots, although I don't think I'm communicating the shot properly. I was chipping to the other side of the green. 9 feet to my landing spot then the pin was 50 or 60 ft away from said landing spot... so it had to release and roll quite some way.

Would you still use a high lofted club?

Fair question. But to me, to get the same results as delofting at the back of my stance, I would have to be putting the ball more towards the center of my stance with a lower lofted club. In my experience, these have different results for me. I practice it enough the way I described to know how far the shots will go, and using a lower lofted club would change that completely for me. I get really good results with it and chip in a decent number of times over a season, so I will stick with it as is.

If half or more than half of the ball is exposed, I still use the putter but I give it some extra pop.

If it's down in the grass, it's a 54 with a tiny backswing and soft hands but I should still finish facing the target.

Also, i think my recent post strayed from the initial topic to talk about the rule of 12 instead of just the "short chip". sorry for the confusion guys!

9/10 sw because of the bounce. I just don't practice bump and run enough to have more confidence, and that shot doesn't fit my eye very well. maybe that's a shot I'll consider working more on next year.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

depending on the turf I will flop my 52* by opening the face and handle forward, same thing with 56* (more bounce for deeper turf) or use my 60* for a basic chip shot.

(1). I put my weight fully on my left foot. (2). I test few strokes while imagining where the ball should be landing. (3). Just do it :golf:

Short chip? It depends upon if I'm having a good round or not. If I'm not having a good round I'll challenge the hole with a 60. If I'm having a good round I'll play it conservative probably with a SW - the 55 seems to be my go to.

I used to bump and run this all the time with a 7 or 8 iron, but I haven't practiced that much with my new set so I'd most likely stick with my 60*. My playing partner and I were talking about the virtues of flying the ball to the hole vs getting it on the ground as quickly as possible today!

I don't mind putting with a hybrid when I'm up against the collar so that could be a viable option too.

Back