Bucket List Check Off

Johnny mojo

Mojovated!
Reaction score
This is by no means concrete and just an idea that my wife and i are tossing around.
So here's the scenario:

I have a trade show in San Diego in September. My daughter will already be in college. I will be playing the best golf of my life having just competed in the Morgan Cup (that's the plan anyway :act-up:). We started talking the other night and were tossing around the idea of her meeting me in San Diego, renting a convertible and driving up the PCH to play Pebble Beach.

This is a bucket list trip for me and due to the cost of Pebble, I probably wouldn't be able to play any others. We might stay a night or two in San Francisco and depart from there.

What would you do? It will be enormously expensive and very indulgent. I have played both North and South at Torrey many, many times from when I was stationed out there.

This would not be a golf vacation per se' but rather making a bucket list moment happen. What would you do?

JM

Do it bro!

Grip n Rip
@bigtazzGOLF

Bucket list items to me have no price. If you can afford it, just do it.

The drive up PCH alone is amazing.

I always go back to opportunities and chances to do something I have never done before by asking if I will ever get the chance to do it again and given the situation - will I ever regret not doing it.

If it is on the Bucket List, I say do it.

If the wife is on board I say go for it.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

John - If it is a bucket list item, then absolutely go for it. I will do it someday myself, and I will throw down the credit card and enjoy every moment.

If ya got the time and the cash I say go for it

I'd hold off, that time of year is very popular and to pay all that money and not finish would really suck. The rules on making tee times is crazy for pebble.

I grew up in CA and drove PCH to work every day. There are parts of that drive that are absolutely breath taking. I don't know much about getting a tee time there but if you can swing it I say definitely go for it dude.

I'd hold off, that time of year is very popular and to pay all that money and not finish would really suck. The rules on making tee times is crazy for pebble.

Can you offer any more details? Is it simply volume of players? Could I conceivably not finish with a morning tee time? I have no experience here and would love to hear whatever you can offer Freddie.

JM

Not sure what Freddie is referring to as I have never played PB but my gut tells me that you should go for it.

Can you offer any more details? Is it simply volume of players? Could I conceivably not finish with a morning tee time? I have no experience here and would love to hear whatever you can offer Freddie.

JM
It been a while but I think general public gets a week advance tee times. Members get preferred so usually times are after noon and 6 hours long, if you manage an early time then go for it. But I don't think you'll be able to make time til,very close to trip.

Good to know Freddie and I will be calling to find out for sure. What you say makes perfect sense and something I never thought of. I appreciate the heads up on that as I would not have considered it in the least.

JM

I sure want to do this, but if I couldn't finish, it would be devastating.

JM

I'd definitely be checking on what Freddy has mentioned. As others have said, the drive is awesome and if you could get a time you could be sure of finishing, I would definitely be trying to do it if I were you. Best of luck man, hope you can swing it!

I would say Pebble Beach would be on every golfer's bucket list. If you can get a tee time, play with a flashlight!

Played PB two years ago. It is SO worth it. Probably dropped $800 between green fees, caddy and pro shop. We stayed in Carmel for a lot less money than the Lodge. Definitely get a caddy and walk. Caddy not only helps with targets and lines, they know about the history and have interesting stories. I am fortunate to have Played PB and St. Andrews in the past five years.

JM

I had a 9:50am tee time and our foursome, walkers with caddies, finished in about 4 hours and 45 minutes. Not rushed but plenty of time to take photos and enjoy it. I played in late April.

There is a member on THP that lives in the area and can probably help you setup a tee time and maybe even get out with you. Can't remember his name though.

Freddie offered up some solid points and while he readily stated that things may have changed, I am going to check into this very thoroughly. If I need to pass I will, but I WILL play Pebble before I go meet Bagger Vance!

JM

There is a member on THP that lives in the area and can probably help you setup a tee time and maybe even get out with you. Can't remember his name though.

Hopefully he will chime in maybe :angel:

JM

Freddie offered up some solid points and while he readily stated that things may have changed, I am going to check into this very thoroughly. If I need to pass I will, but I WILL play Pebble before I go meet Bagger Vance!

JM

There is a lot of good info out there (even on some un-mentionable forums) about details on making tee times, protocol (like how much to tip your caddy) where to stay, etc. Part of the fun was the planning and then watching the weather reports hourly two weeks before you go. If you have not done it, check out the live HD feeds that show the putting green, #1 tee, #17 green and #18 green. It is on the PB website.

It's been a while since I played Pebble. But, when I did, it was not a simple task to get a tee time at all. The only way we got a foursome on the course was to stay at the Inn. They did give us a slight discount on the greens fee, however. They may also give preference for tee times if you stay at the Inn at Spanish Bay as well. Spanish Bay is also a fun links course.

Heck of you're already out there at least do the 17 mile drive. The golf may work out well too or it could be raining etc. which IMO would be a no go .

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Back