Buying clubs for the wife, which way to go?

Girardcorp

Reaction score
Handicap
So my wife has slowly begun to start playing golf with me, last year it was only once, so far this year we've played three times with another date next week to play a round with a couple of friends. Currently, she has my original set of irons from when i started along with some old woods i had. She has picked up the game pretty quick, but obviously isn't playing alot. I have two routes i can go to get her new equipment. Quick and easy (buy a box set from Golf galaxy or equivalent) which will get her clubs up front, but probably need to get better stuff down the road. Or, do i bite the bullet and buy her nice stuff (she is trying this stuff out in the store) and she probably wont need new clubs for a long time. Obviously there is a significant outlay difference in the two options.
My goal (and one she has not disagreed) would be to possibly do a couples league next year, so she would be playing weekly. Her dad and brother also play, so we could go out as a foursome when we visit her side of the family.

Which way would you go if it were you?

I would look for a used set of better women's clubs. This would be for my wife, if she picked up the game I can tell you now...she would not care about the equipment.

Which option does she like better? Do that one.

Which option does she like better? Do that one.
Well, just based on following her around, she wants to pick out her own bag and stuff like that, so a box option isn't looking good, although much cheaper...

I would look for a used set of better women's clubs. This would be for my wife, if she picked up the game I can tell you now...she would not care about the equipment.
Nothing in the classifieds, nothing at the store.... ebay is way overpriced...

I went with Cleveland Altitudes with senior flex graphic shafts. They are perfect for her and a great set of starter clubs. Can be found for around less than 250 also.

Callaway women's Solaire. My wife has gone from a 36 handicap to a 20 in 2 years with hers plus lessons.

I went with Cleveland Altitudes with senior flex graphic shafts. They are perfect for her and a great set of starter clubs. Can be found for around less than 250 also.

I hadn't considered something like this but that's a great idea. Way more offerings in that flex profile.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

I hadn't considered something like this but that's a great idea. Way more offerings in that flex profile.

You wont regret it. They are so light and forgiving its silly.

I bought my wife, senior flex cleveland 588 MTs, even as a beginner they are plenty forgiving for her, she's enjoyed the game quite a bit more!

Why not D200?
Ladies D200 if she's shorter or mens D200 in senior flex if she's taller plus the bag of her choice...I like it!

My gf golfs now. I picked her up a set of clubs, bag, and putter, beginners ladies set, from BudgetGolf.com, cheap. I did not get her quality name brand stuff - it was Dunlap I think.
If and when she likes golf, I will upgrade, but the initial expense for new stuff was under $100.

My gf golfs now. I picked her up a set of clubs, bag, and putter, beginners ladies set, from BudgetGolf.com, cheap. I did not get her quality name brand stuff - it was Dunlap I think.
If and when she likes golf, I will upgrade, but the initial expense for new stuff was under $100.

This is my thinking too. When she posts scores better than me I'll get her good stuff. Shouldn't take long

Or she can just take your C100s because the ladies box set you bought her are too short. :(

I'm planning on picking up a set of D200s or Altitudes in senior flex for my wife. Though her gaming my set gave me the excuse to purchase a set of CB Proh for when we play together.

Sent from my G3 using TapaTalk Pro

I've been browsing for my wife as well. She is 5'2 so options in petite are limited. The cobra box sets seem too long so I think I'll pick up the adams idea since it comes in petite.

She is shorter than average so any option probably would need to be trimmed down some.

We went the boxed set route when my wife started and added a piece here and there. The only shortsighted thing was the fact that she is tall 5'11" and the women's club were much too short for her.

Ihave been accumulating stuff for my wife over the last year or so. She is hooked so I just got her a set of brand new Adams hybrid irons for 75% off sticker on eBay.

My GF is on her second year golfing. She started at the end of last year with a set of Golden Bear AccuforceII that we picked up cheap. She hated those and didnt want to golf much, and when she did she was pretty bad.

This year she wanted to golf more, and about 2 months in, we got her a new set of Callaway X hot irons, X2 hot driver and 3W, and an odyssey putter.... Honestly her Game has improved substantially. Obviously can't be because the clubs alone but she likes golfing more because her clubs feel better, and they are "more fun"...

If she is up for it, let her go to a fitter and they can figure it out together. That way, it's her decision, not her husband's.

Back