Adams Tight Lies Fairway - THP Preview

I had the original Tight Lies 3w. You could just about hit it from anywhere. It was a fun club to hit. Glad they have revived the name and line.

I had the Speedline LS 3W in my bag all last year and used it from tee box to fairway to rough. Love that club a lot but it's definitely not longer than my Big Bertha 3W. I still have it and plan to hang on to it for a while due to how well I can hit that thing from any lie. For me it's more of a forgiveness club with decent distance and playability from various lies vs the BB which is major distance/good forgiveness/plays best from the fairway.

Tappin' from my Samsung Note 3

Remember though, from the speed line you are skipping some generations, the XTD Supers and Super LS the last two lines have been bombers. Big jump from the speedlines, big big.

To attest that the Tight Lies can have some good length (with the right Indian), while at the Adams event, Austin (our Adams guy) hit a 14 degree on the 18th about 250 IIRC and was straight into the wind so there is some length to be had. Maybe not as long as some others, but definitely easier to hit than some others.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

I finally got to see one in person in the pro shop today, very cool!

I finally got to see one in person in the pro shop today, very cool!

Def different than what we are used to seeing the past few years aren't they?

Def different than what we are used to seeing the past few years aren't they?

It reminds me of the old original Adams tight lies woods. I loved those things!

I took a few swings with the stiff and regular flex shafts for the 16° version today. Even though my swing speed with that club was 95, I found better results accuracy wise with the R flex. But I was a little disappointed in the distance. It was no farther than my a12os 3 hybrid goes. I was hoping that this might fill the gap between my driver and my 3 hybrid, but it does not look like it's going to do that for me.

I took a few swings with the stiff and regular flex shafts for the 16° version today. Even though my swing speed with that club was 95, I found better results accuracy wise with the R flex. But I was a little disappointed in the distance. It was no farther than my a12os 3 hybrid goes. I was hoping that this might fill the gap between my driver and my 3 hybrid, but it does not look like it's going to do that for me.

Very interesting, thank you for sharing your experiences, its always great to hear from different perspectives. I'm really excited about getting on course with this tomorrow. I plan on intentionally taking a different shot selection off the tee on the par 5's at my course to have to hit this one off the deck, should be interesting.

Put in some time this afternoon with the 14*. My swing felt pretty wonky so I'm not sure what to really think.
I did notice that I was catching it very high on the face off the tee, so I need to play with tee height a little. Off the deck, the good swings had good results but when the Indian is swinging like an unfolding chair, the arrow gets off target.
Hopefully I'll be able to get to the range some this week and bring a golf swing with me.

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk

Put in some time this afternoon with the 14*. My swing felt pretty wonky so I'm not sure what to really think.
I did notice that I was catching it very high on the face off the tee, so I need to play with tee height a little. Off the deck, the good swings had good results but when the Indian is swinging like an unfolding chair, the arrow gets off target.
Hopefully I'll be able to get to the range some this week and bring a golf swing with me.

Tee height with this one will be interesting IMO, lower the better I would venture.

Tee height with this one will be interesting IMO, lower the better I would venture.

Definitely. I just didn't think about it to start with, been playing deep faced woods for awhile.

It has a very interesting shape to it for sure. From address it actually reminds me of the Bio Cell, which I quite like.

Very interesting, thank you for sharing your experiences, its always great to hear from different perspectives. I'm really excited about getting on course with this tomorrow. I plan on intentionally taking a different shot selection off the tee on the par 5's at my course to have to hit this one off the deck, should be interesting.

What do you think the differences are between the tight lies in the tight lies tour? I'm wondering if the tight lies TOUR might fit the bill for me? I think I would want to look for it in an R flex but that 14° head might help me a lot.

What do you think the differences are between the tight lies in the tight lies tour? I'm wondering if the tight lies TOUR might fit the bill for me? I think I would want to look for it in an R flex but that 14° head might help me a lot.

Smaller head, little deeper, lower launch and spin. Also has an adjustable weight.

IIRC the Aldila Tour Blue shaft is its stock option.

I am turned off by the slot in the crown. However it does look like a club that would be easy to launch the ball with

I am turned off by the slot in the crown. However it does look like a club that would be easy to launch the ball with

It bugs me as well.

Great write up James. That there is a thin design. Not so sure about the Headcover, but those are always replaceable. Great to hear those that played in the Adams event held high reviews for these.

Sounds cliche, but its easy to get over when you see it in hand and at address.

Give me a slot over ugly graphics any day.

Smaller head, little deeper, lower launch and spin. Also has an adjustable weight.

IIRC the Aldila Tour Blue shaft is its stock option.

I see that the regular Tight Lies comes in a 14 degree. I don't think I saw that at GG but may have to go look again. And bring my 3hy in for comparison.

Sounds cliche, but its easy to get over when you see it in hand and at address.

Give me a slot over ugly graphics any day.

Completely agree. I can get over looks when performance is there. But it's still a turn off for me at the get go, similar to ugly graphics.

Completely agree. I can get over looks when performance is there. But it's still a turn off for me at the get go, similar to ugly graphics.

I get that, and it is for many I'm sure. I'm a tech/R&D head now more than I used to be though so I think I get over it much quicker than I used to.

I still say Adams slot technology is the best out there, much better than TM's IMO. Always has been.

I get that, and it is for many I'm sure. I'm a tech/R&D head now more than I used to be though so I think I get over it much quicker than I used to.

I still say Adams slot technology is the best out there, much better than TM's IMO. Always has been.

I was a fan when it first came out. They have certainly put out some well performing woods with that tech.

I'm in the minority in that I love the looks. I think the sole looks awesome. I like the way the slot sits squarely behind the ball. I love the all black. I love the chromed parts. I love the head cover. I love the shaft. I'd buy this thing on looks alone.

I have always loved the Ginty/stepped type sole and found those types of fairway woods to be easy to hit. I didn't think the Mashie FWs were that easy off the deck (at least the TF3 and F3 weren't), but the Tour Edge Trilogy was just a piece of cake. If this is as easy as that, then Adams has a winner.

I hit this at a box store on the sim. Unfortunately they only had senior flex. I was kind of excited, ripped at it too hard and hit these high, spinny slices. That's my miss when I'm too quick. I'd like to test this one out on the course or range with the right shaft.

I can honestly say that this is the only FW on my radar for this season. The skeptic in me says that this isn't going to be that much easier for me to hit off of a thin lie than my current gamer (I find the thin lie FW shot to be the hardest) and is probably going to be shorter.

I'd love to see some comparative numbers -- off the tee, off the deck in a thin lie, out of the rough, etc.. I think that some of those numbers will be as expected, but for some (e.g. rough performance), it is really going to surprise.

I'll be following this review closely.

Last edited:
Interesting debut for this one. Actually went to the range after the round just to hit it some more.

• The sound, nice little tink and the ball just jumps.
  • Looks great at address. The slot disappears IMO.
  • Stupid easy to hit off the deck. I mean this, I cannot get over how easy it was for me to hit it off the deck, not weak floaters or any of that, penetrating ball flight that got up and carried. I struggle with fairways off the deck, none of that here today.
  • Struggled a little off the tee even with the tee really low, so, I started just hitting it off the grass on the teebox like I would the fairway, night and day. Need to work on off of a tee some more.
  • Not the longest off the tee, but I didn't expect it to be. I did see what IMO is good distance that for what you get in off the deck versatility will be more than enough for many.

Really looking forward to more time with this one as well as getting the thoughts from some others at my course.

Back