Recommended Irons for a begginer?

cml207

Reaction score
Handicap
Ive been playing for about 8 months now, and am finally seeing some progress in my iron play. I try to play at least once a week(if not, I at least hit the driving range), and think I can finally justify buying some decent irons. Ive been playing with a set I got for around $90 from Academy that came with Driver, 3 wood, Hybrid, and 6-PW.

I have no desire to ever play tournaments or compete...just looking to get decent enough to hold my own with friends, co workers, etc. That being said, Im looking for something with decent forgiveness.

I was recently gifted an old Taylormade R11, and have loved it as my new driver...huge improvements. This has me leaning towards wanting to buy some Taylormade irons, but Im not sure if that's the best option for me.

I am on a bit of budget, and would like to stay under $500(Ideally, $350ish).

The 2 options I've narrowed it down to are Taylormade RocketBallz HL Irons 4-PW/AW or Taylormade RocketBladez 4-PW/AW. Both of these I have seen on clearance for around $300

My golf knowledge is still pretty limited, so I'm open to any and all suggestions, but am really interested in the 2 above. Which would be a better option for a new player?

Thanks,
Chad

Probably the HL. I'd suggest looking into the Titlelist DCI line also, should be able to find a set on ebay for less than 150 and they're quality clubs.

Edit : Taylor made Burner 2.0s are nice also.

If you're open to used, there are a ton of great options. Probably can get a set of SpeedBlades used near that 350 mark, and they're one of my favorite sets TM has produced.

I'd vote RocketBladez over the Rocketballz. FYI that you can find all kinds of great irons in the price range if you expand your horizons beyond one manufacturer.

Thanks, guys! And Im not set on any one manufacturer. My driver just happens to be Taylormade and I love it, so it was where I looked to first for irons. Im open to all brands...I dont know enough about each brand yet to rule anything out.

Edit: accidental double post.

Last edited:
Yeah for 350 ish you can find some really good irons in certain deals. This time of year is great for that too

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Try Callaway Preowned too. Pretty much any club with an X in the title would be fine.

In that price range, there are plenty of options for you. If you have a store with a decent selection of sets (new and used) you can try out, definitely do that. If you're open to used, you can pick up a fantastic set of irons for around $350 and you'll have plenty of more options available to pick from. TM SpeedBlades (I picked up a nearly new set for $220), Callaway XHot or X2Hot irons, Cobra Baffler XLs (or FLy Z XLs for a few bucks more), Wilson Staff D100s or Di11s can all be found in that price range either on clearance or gently used.

Wilson C100. You can get the full set for $150-$200 and they are legit clubs. I like them better than the TM's you were thinking of picking up.

If we're extending to other lines, I'd take a look at the 588 MT and 588 Altitudes. The altitudes are more hybrid irons, while the MT are a really, really solid set of irons that can be had in the 200s these days new.

If we're extending to other lines, I'd take a look at the 588 MT and 588 Altitudes. The altitudes are more hybrid irons,.

This ^^
In the past 4 years I have owned:
Taylormade Burner Plus
Wilson di11
Mizuno JPX800HD
Ping g25
Ping k15
Ping Rapture V2.
My season average was always around 89-92

Switched to the Cleveland Altitudes back in April and my season avg is 85 and lowered my handicap from 19 to 12.1.

Usually clubs don't make a difference for me but these sure did

If you're open to used, there are a ton of great options. Probably can get a set of SpeedBlades used near that 350 mark, and they're one of my favorite sets TM has produced.
This was going to be exactly my recommendation. The Speedblades are some amazing clubs. They're the first set I bought too.

You have to try some out before your purchase. Go to a Dick's Sporting Goods and test them out. Dick's usually has the Max Game Improvement Irons for you to try in all the big brands.

I can tell you the ones in your price range I was impressed with where the Cobras. Either the Bafflers or the Fly Z XLs. You can get a full set of brand new Cobra Fly Z XLs (7i-9i, PW, GW and 3h,4h,5h) on E-bay for $400. I personally decided to spend a bit more and get the Cobra Fly Zs.

It's all about feel. Try them before you buy them!

+1 for the SpeedBlades

I have not played for long, but can really recommend Wilson D-200. I got then this summer and like them alot! Long, straight & forgiving

Adams usually has some nice sets that pop up on clearance often. I would look at something with some hybrids in place of longer irons. Just easier to hit consistently for just about anyone.

For $350 you have a lot of options. There are even quite a few guys on the bay selling new sets of 4-GW Cobra Biocell for under 350.

I am a beginner myself. My budget was lower than yours, but I liked the Cobra XLs lines (Baffler and Fly Z). I ended up with a used set of Cobra Amp-D irons for $100.00. They have graphite shafts and are in pretty good shape. I hit the Baffler XL irons at PGA the other day and they felt even better than my Amps.

As others have said, go to a place where you can hit a variety of irons. I thought I had my mind made up from researching here and on other sites, but I ended up with something different after hitting a few different sets at the store.

Back