TaylorMade R15 Driver Preview

Tested the R15 3 weeks ago at Dick's. 9.5, Speeder 57 Evolution Regular flex shaft and moved the sliders as far away from each other as possible. Results with 88-90 mph club head speed was 215-225 carry and very consistent spread. It was more consistent and felt better than the 913D2, 9.5, Bassara Red Hi 50 shaft I was playing at the time, so I bought one off the rack after taping the sole & face and hitting it with the same results as the one I initially tested. Been playing the R15 for 5 rounds now and LOVE it. A most consistent, in the center of the fairway, good feeling driver. The mishits still are close to the center of the fairway and doesn't lose much distance. Couldn't be happier..................until a few days ago I hit the M1, slider half way to the draw side and fore/aft slider all the way back. WOW. 225-235 carry and dead straight, like the R15. Not worth buying the M1 after buying the R15 (got the R15 for the newly marked down $299.99). Slight distance increase isn't work the cost delta. Love the R15.

First round with R15 today. 10/14 FWs and some really solid distance on a soaked course. I even smacked one off the deck that turned out really nice.

I'm a fan so far and will continue to use it.
You've got me pondering buddy. Feels and sounds great, and they're CHEAP right now.

That driver off the deck was awesome.

Sent from my SM-G920P using Tapatalk

I hit this at DSG today. Really solid feeling driver. Gonna look for a cheap one to try just for giggles I think.

I hit this at DSG today. Really solid feeling driver. Gonna look for a cheap one to try just for giggles I think.
That's what I did and I'm glad Im giving it a try. For $100 there's nothing to lose.

That's what I did and I'm glad Im giving it a try. For $100 there's nothing to lose.

I'm already looking at eBay, there are tons in the $120-130 range but with patience I'm sure I can get down to around $100.

Curse you hahaha

Hit a 12* one of these at Pro Golf today (Speeder 57 Evolution stiff) directly against an M1 12* and my Vapor Pro set to 12.5*, and it was impressive. Set both weights right behind the impact zone and immediately launched one at 17* and 1800rpms (aka, Taylormade's holy grail numbers) that carried 250 yards. I'm thinking "good Lord, no way I can replicate that". Turns out I was right, that was the longest one I hit, but the shots after that were still awfully solid. Was getting similar distances to my Vapor, with a few shots going out a couple yards longer than the best balls from my Vapor. I don't like the sound and feel quite as much as the VP, but the results are there.

As far as against the M1 - I have to say it's pretty shockingly similar IMO. The sound and feel are different; R15 feels more muted and solid, where the M1 feels a little more explosive and has a slight pleasing metallic touch to it (like the Vapor Pro). But the results are very similar - overall, carry distances ended up being nearly the same - and I actually feel like my really hammered drives were a little longer with the R15 than the M1. So at this stage, if I had to give it to one or the other, it would probably go slightly to the R15.

Needless to say, I'm pondering. Would need to find an extra adapter as well, as I'd want to install my raw finished PX Handcrafted into this head.

Been having some great fall golf rounds with my R15. I've used it almost in every type of crappy cond. (rain, wet, damp, and windy) and it continues to amaze me. Very tight dispersion and excellent distance, not to mention paired with my PX LZ shaft it's probably the best combo I have had in a long time.

I destroyed the ball with the ol R15 today. Found a ton of fairways and although I wasn't measuring I know they were all poked out there quite nicely.

I destroyed the ball with the ol R15 today. Found a ton of fairways and although I wasn't measuring I know they were all poked out there quite nicely.
Very soon I will have one of these.

Yesterday was exceptional with my R15, every drive felt so pure and effortless. Even poked a few out (albeit downhill) in the mid to high 200 yd range. On one hole I even hit the same driving distance as a playing partner that was easily hitting it 30+ yds further than me on every other hole. I don't wanna mess with my driver for a long time, even after hitting the M1.

Boy, it's getting really tough for me to hold out till tomorrow on pulling the trigger.

Boy, it's getting really tough for me to hold out till tomorrow on pulling the trigger.

Remember when I said "Dont go to that fitting" before the PX event?
You can say "You were right", now...haha

Remember when I said "Dont go to that fitting" before the PX event?
You can say "You were right", now...haha

HA! Nah, it's not so much that, as hitting ArmyGolf's the other day and just smoking it, and then doing the same thing after my lesson. Vapor is still a really good head, and still better than what I had before that fitting (913D2).

For the record, I have every intention of tipping the other shaft we got (the non painted one) for this head. Geez that event was so awesome!

Hit the R15 with Speeder stiff at the shop again today to kind of confirm that I want it, and I both did better and worse than before - let me explain. On my best drives I outdrove my Vapor by 15 yards IN THE AIR. Filthy. Flip side is when I missed, particularly off the toe, this thing can have the propensity for a dive hook due to the LOW spin. I still don't think those shots would have been dead, but the same miss wasn't punished as much in carry with the Vapor.

Debating, but what remains clear is that if I have a good day with it, I could be in for some of the longest drives of my life. The question is the days I don't...

Not totally spread, but not together either. About an inch between them, centered on neutral. I figured it would be a decent compromise between distance and forgiveness. Could of course always go wider.

Just had the best driving round of my life. 14/14 fairways and no miss hits. Yes they were wider fairways but the point remains.

Just had the best driving round of my life. 14/14 fairways and no miss hits. Yes they were wider fairways but the point remains.

Holy crap. If you shot above 80 I'm gonna kick your ass hahaha

I guess it goes without saying you were hitting the R15 filthy far?

Holy crap. If you shot above 80 I'm gonna kick your ass hahaha

I guess it goes without saying you were hitting the R15 filthy far?
I wouldn't say filthy far but far enough for any set of tees I'm going to play. I haven't been measuring but there's a lot of wedge approaches.

Glad it is working out Curtis!

Glad it is working out Curtis!
It was a knee jerk experiment and I'm shocked at the results. I've been mocking Taylormade for the last year ignorant to the fact that they have a great club for me.

It was a knee jerk experiment and I'm shocked at the results. I've been mocking Taylormade for the last year ignorant to the fact that they have a great club for me.
Same here with the M1. Pleasantly surprised

Got me a 12* black head on the way, should be fun.

Question, does anybody know if they've changed the torque setting at all on the recent revision of the TM wrench? I still have an R11 one, not sure if it will still work. Also have Nike and Callaway ones.

Got me a 12* black head on the way, should be fun.

Question, does anybody know if they've changed the torque setting at all on the recent revision of the TM wrench? I still have an R11 one, not sure if it will still work. Also have Nike and Callaway ones.

The one I had from my R1 worked, though it didn't fit as tight as the R15 wrench. I still have the R15 wrench I could send you if yours doesn't work.

The one I had from my R1 worked, though it didn't fit as tight as the R15 wrench. I still have the R15 wrench I could send you if yours doesn't work.

Thanks for the offer mate, I'll let you know. I don't anticipate issues, but I always like to double check.

Back