Custom Project X Shaft Review Thread

Those look amazing!

This thread is making me really wish I'd played a little better at Balboa hahaha

Sent from my SM-G920P using Tapatalk

This thread is making me really wish I'd played a little better at Balboa hahaha

Balboa emasculated all of us. That last par five I crushed a drive that would have been great on any other course if it didn't have the Grand Canyon of OB on the left and then took my drop and hit my best hybrid of the day dead straight only to watch it sail into OB on the right.

All of those graphics look so awesome! I love the shamrocks on STC'S. The gold really pops.

Balboa emasculated all of us. That last par five I crushed a drive that would have been great on any other course if it didn't have the Grand Canyon of OB on the left and then took my drop and hit my best hybrid of the day dead straight only to watch it sail into OB on the right.

Stan the Timmy took care of business on the front.
On that par 5, I put my 3rd shot in the hazard left, walked away w bogey.
I think Balboa Park is tougher than Torrey.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

This thread gives me the insatiable desire to design my own shaft graphics. So cool!

I was so Jekyll and Hyde today with my driver that I figured I'd do a hole by hole breakdown. First 8 drives I was 8 for 8 in fairways hit and was absolutely crushing it. Last 4 drives I was 1 for 4 fairways with the 1 getting a favorable kick off the cart path. Here's a breakdown of what I saw today...

Hole #1: Real solid mid ball flight drive down the right side of the fairway that was in a spot I consider a "good drive" for this hole.

Hole #2: Similar to my first drive. This had a mid-high ball flight (intentionally tried to get it a little higher). Was down the left side of the fairway in an area I would consider a "very good drive." Side note, nice to see I can flight the ball with this shaft and get a little extra height when needed.

Hole #3: One of the furthest drives I've ever hit in my life. Definitely the furthest I hit on this hole. Ball was bombed down the left side of the fairway with a mid ball flight a good 20 yards further than I've ever been on this hole (this is my home course I've been playing for 19 years!).

Hole #4: Pretty much matched my drive on #3. Absolute bomb right down the middle. Mid ball flight and the furthest I've ever hit on this hole.

Hole #8: One of the furthest drives I've ever hit on this hole as well. Right down the middle with a mid ball flight.

Hole #9: Another one that I would say was one of the furthest drives I've ever hit on this hole. Bombed it right down the middle with a ball flight. Sensing a trend...

Hole #10: Crushed it again right down the middle. Stopped in an area that is an "excellent" drive for me. Ball had a mid ball flight.

Hole #11: Trend continues. I'd say it may have been he furthest drive I've ever hit on this hole. Down the right side with a great mid flight trajectory.

*So up to this point I was 8 of 8 fairways hit an absolutely striping the ball. However we hit some slow play and didn't hit my driver again until the 14th. This was at least 45 minutes (possibly longer) without hitting my driver. Something obviously happened with my swing because from 14 on it was ugly...

Hole #14: Way right with a mid-high ball flight. In the woods, couldn't find it, lost ball.

Hole #15: Way right again with a mid ball flight. Found it, had to punch out. Also should note was considerably shorter than usual.

Hole #16: Got a little lucky. Really hit this one well but it was pulled. Hit the cart path, bounced through a couple trees of the dogleg and wound up on the left side of the fairway 50 yards from the green. Longest drive I've ever hit on this hole by a considerable margin but it was more luck than a good swing. Counts as a fairway hit and looks like a bomb but wasn't happy with the swing.

Hole #17: A mid-low push into some trees. Found the ball but had to punch out again.

So, I don't know what happened. Strange that not hitting driver for so long caused me to totally lose my swing. Frustrating that I went from striping the ball down the fairway to having one big miss after the next. Overall, 9/12 fairways hit and some HUGE drives early on. Just frustrated I struggled down the stretch. Absolutely loving this shaft though. It is smooth, performs so well and looks so darn good. Will be posting a ton of pictures tomorrow with closeups.

Sorry I didn't get a chance to comment on Paul and Dave's custom PX shafts...

Galen Marek- Subtle but absolutely awesome! Everything about that shaft rocks!

Spivey- That came out looking so good dude! When you bring that out on the course it is absolutely gonna pop.

Hit 7 of 12 fairways with the raw custom shaft today. The ones I missed weren't far off either, with the exception of one that was complete chunked garbage. Liking the consistency in getting out of this bad boy.

really digging how the shafts are turning out. So freaking cool to see. I've been able to witness SkiBum just killing the ball with his raw shaft out on the range. He really hits it well.

The raw shafts are so cool looking I may throw it into the mix every now and then. They look great with a glossy finish head but look amazing with a matte finish like the XR heads. I think you guys are gonna be blown away when Awkward Silence's shaft shows up. That guy poured all his emotional and zombie issues into it.

The raw shafts are so cool looking I may throw it into the mix every now and then. They look great with a glossy finish head but look amazing with a matte finish like the XR heads. I think you guys are gonna be blown away when Awkward Silence's shaft shows up. That guy poured all his emotional and zombie issues into it.
His shaft will make you think:

tumblr_l65eg5a4j51qb4srho1_500.jpg

Over the next couple days I'm going to be posting closeup pictures of my #HandCraftedExperience custom made shaft from Project X. First up is the grip end of the shaft. I went with shamrocks wrapping around the entire shaft. Half are black and gold for the New Orleans Saints, the other half are in blue pinstripes for the NY Yankees. Little side note; when I was describing the gold to O'Neil I asked him to make it look as close to the Saints helmets as possible. He absolutely nailed it! The color and the way is shines is identical to their helmets. I was a little unsure of how the gold would look but it wound up being my favorite color on the shaft. I really think the white base really helps these shamrocks pop! Also in this section is the "HandCrafted" logo in black.

Grip end of shaft pictures:

* Up next, mid section of the shaft. Coming soon...

Looks very good. I mean despite being Yankees and Aints. Its personal and that is something that just matters.

That came out looking great. Nice job on the design.

I love seeing all these! Not only killer designs but specs to match your game. Doesn't get any better! No one went with crazy neon yellow or anything tho?

I love seeing all these! Not only killer designs but specs to match your game. Doesn't get any better! No one went with crazy neon yellow or anything tho?

How do you feel about zombie blood on a shaft? Is that crazy or cool? :alien:

Spoiler
I saw the computer mock up and it was definitely cool!

Fantastic looking shafts. Keep the pics and continued experience with the shafts coming.

Spoiler
Wait did someone actually do that? Lol could be awesome looking!

Alright! Nice shafts! Looking to see the others.

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk

So I got my shaft put onto the FlyZ head.
First impression - it is a damn good looking club - but honestly, because the colors are a little dark, the pics do not do this shaft justice. The metallic blue and candy green (both have metallic sheen to them) candy cane style set up looks awesome! The white tip really makes the black head stand out.
The ProjectX logo, hand crafted logo, and THP logo are up by the grip -
Colors and style - I wanted to represent Tulane University, where I earned my graduate degrees. Blue and green are the official colors, but the olive green and light-ish blue that are the "official" colors I think are pretty vanilla and I wanted the colors to pop!
Barber pole - I figured that there are not very many shafts that will have this design. O'Neil recommended putting one of the colors as a base, then striping the other color with a fade out, rather than a sharp edge. We tried a few things, it looked great!!
White tip - I initially wanted the candy cane to be on a white background, never really thought about changing the tip when we changed the base color to blue. With the date of the event in black at the tip, it really looks nice.
I am very pleased with how it turned out - I will have this club with me in Orlando, at the Bridgestone Championship. If anyone wants to see it in person, or take a few swings, no problem at all. Unless you break the shaft, then we will have discussions!!!

Took my finished shaft out on the course today for my first round since the event. My buddies were all impressed with the finish and the way the matte black contrasted with the glossy blue DBD head. I played Alhambra which is a short but fairly narrow muni which has nice greens and is kept in pretty good shape.

First hole - 283 yard par four - I hit a high fade which I didn't see land but was pin high to the right. The shaft had the same smooth feel of the tester but felt tighter and maybe something in my swing has changed but I am hitting the prototype higher than the test shaft.

Second hole - 464 yard par five - I hit a low 265 yard hook that went into the rough and behind the trees. The amount of run was pretty incredible. This shaft appears (I'm going to see if I can get some numbers) to have lowered my spin.

Third Hole - 254 yard par four but was playing 280 - High 275 yards push that landed about 8 yards right of the green. While I made pretty good contact I didn't feel like I had any business with that long of a drive.

Fourth hole - 256 yard par four - Hit a low slight draw that landed just short of the green then took a hard kick left into the bunker in front of the green. It wasn't my best contact but I had the impression the ball was gonna run like hell if not for the bunker.

Fifth hole - 296 yard par four - I hit a high draw but pulled it into the trees on the left. When I found the ball I still had 40-50 yards remaining. I really got a hold of the ball but the trees knocked it down. Shaft felt so smooth.

Sixth hole - 485 yard par five - Topped the living hell out of the ball for about a 30 yard drive. Double bogey ensues.

Ninth hole - 336 yard par four - I hit the crap out of this one. Beautiful high draw, partner said it was my best drive so far so naturally it went into a lake protecting the green we had no idea was there. While I didn't see the drive hit the water I'm going to say that drive would have gone 396 yards if not more. J/K.

Tenth hole - 285 yard par four - I hit a really high push fade that landed pin high about 30 yards to the right. It was actually pretty good contact but I felt a little steep coming down. I feel like the extra stiffness of the shaft kept my ball in play as opposed to a wild slice.

Twelfth hole - 337 yard par four - Hit a pretty solid drive but it started hooking and ran like it was being chased into OB.

That was the last hole of the day as we ran out of daylight. My impression of the shaft is still highly favorable. It is the best feeling shaft I've ever played and now that Don made the tweaks it seems like it fits me to a T. It saved me on some fades that I feel like could have been wild slices and it seems like I'm getting a lot of roll. While the ball flight is a bit higher than I'm used to it is very penetrating and I think it might be adding some carry to my drives with no loss in roll. I can't wait to take it out again and really get chance to dial it in. I think this baby is in for the long haul.

That is a monster of a hole.

Spoiler

You even got me with that spoiler. Literally my heart stopped with the idea of seeing the paint laid out on it haha

Back