Callaway Great Big Bertha Divine Nine Fairway Wood - THP Review Thread

ddec

I have many leather-bound books
Albatross 2024 Club
Staff member
Reaction score
Handicap
The Driver
In for review is the new Callaway Great Big Bertha Divine Nine Fairway Wood. The Divine 9 is part of the Great Big Bertha FW Family, which you can read more about here http://www.thehackersparadise.com/f...y-Great-Big-Bertha-Fairway-Wood-Preview-Thead

The Divine 9 comes in a 24* with a 41.5" shaft. It features Callaway's forged hyper speed face cup and with their modern warbird sole. The configuration we received was with the Mitsubishi Rayon Kuro Kage Black TiNi 50 regular flex shaft. Unlike most of the other members of the GBB FW Family, this model comes with a glued hosel and is not adjustable.

The price for this club is $249.99.

i-kMDvtRC-L.jpg

i-2dM5wDD-L.jpg

i-GnQJzSk-L.jpg

i-wbrGMrd-L.jpg

i-Wj8PHWw-L.jpg

i-KBvqbmp-L.jpg

Definitely interested in your thoughts Dean. I foresee an opening in the bag and this one has caught my eye.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

I cant wait to hear your thoughts. Looking forward to this one

Any reasoning behind why Callaway went with non adjustability with the Devine9

Can't wait for your feedback on this one Dean. May be able to sideline the 5 iron I can't hit alongside the 4 iron I can't hit.

• Staff
Can't wait for your feedback on this one Dean. May be able to sideline the 5 iron I can't hit alongside the 4 iron I can't hit.

that's what I'm looking for as well. Heck I haven't played a 5 iron all year TBH. My setup was Heavenwood, X2 Hot 4h(22), Wilson Fybrid 4h(24), 6 iron. During the testing phase I'm going to kick those 2 hybrids out of the bag.

Any reasoning behind why Callaway went with non adjustability with the Devine9

My guess is to keep the swingweight down.

This club is very interesting to me, kinda like an even higher lofted version of the HW. I find $250 for a non-adjustable fairway wood a little tough to swallow though...

My guess is to keep the swingweight down.

This club is very interesting to me, kinda like an even higher lofted version of the HW. I find $250 for a non-adjustable fairway wood a little tough to swallow though...

That makes sense.

Love the look.

interested in hearing the thoughts on this one. Not sure I would put it in the bag but then again you never know

I took one swing with this yesterday. We dropped a few golf balls in the fairway on a par 5 and shot the back flag at 195. I made what felt like perfect contact and flew the back of the green. I'm guessing it was around 200 yards carry--which just happens to be a gap in the top of my bag. The thing that jumped out to me with just this one swing, was the launch and ball flight was much lower than I was expecting. Definitely a more piercing ball flight for me than the previous V-Series woods. I'm definitely interested in swinging this one some more. I've always struggled with hybrids and always hit fairway woods well, so even though I love my OG V-Series HW, I'm immediately considering a switch to the GBB Heavenwood set at the lowest loft setting (19.5 I think) and then adding this one as well.

I took one swing with this yesterday. We dropped a few golf balls in the fairway on a par 5 and shot the back flag at 195. I made what felt like perfect contact and flew the back of the green. I'm guessing it was around 200 yards carry--which just happens to be a gap in the top of my bag. The thing that jumped out to me with just this one swing, was the launch and ball flight was much lower than I was expecting. Definitely a more piercing ball flight for me than the previous V-Series woods. I'm definitely interested in swinging this one some more. I've always struggled with hybrids and always hit fairway woods well, so even though I love my OG V-Series HW, I'm immediately considering a switch to the GBB Heavenwood set at the lowest loft setting (19.5 I think) and then adding this one as well.

I already have the 3 wood, which I had to adjust up to 16 degrees. At 16 degrees, I'm getting a mid launch penetrating flight. Very long. I also have a Heavenwood that has a much more penetrating flight than the Bertha V HV. My divine 9 will be hear tomorrow. I currently play a XR 11 wood with a Z65 Fubuki Fairway shaft that goes consistently 200 yards. It is so consistent that I was reluctant to trade it for a Divine Nine, but the GBB woods are so long. forgiving and consistent. The slightly longer shaft and slightly lower loft should have this club flying around 205 yards.

Last edited:
I'd be pretty tempted to give this a go, especially if it filled a 210-215 gap. It just sounds like a really fun club to hit.

wonder if I could elevate it

I already have the 3 wood, which I had to adjust up to 16 degrees. At 16 degrees, I'm getting a mid launch penetrating flight. Very long. I also have a Heavenwood that has a much more penetrating flight than the Bertha V HV. My divine 9 will be hear tomorrow. I currently play a XR 11 wood with a Z65 Fubuki Fairway shaft that goes consistently 200 yards. It is so consistent that I was reluctant to trade it for a Divine Nine, but the GBB woods are so long. forgiving and consistent. The slightly longer shaft and slightly lower loft should have this club flying around 205 yards.

very nice. Looking forward to your thoughts on it.

I will be very interested to see what kind of distance you get out of this.

I'm following this.

Legit contender for #TheGrandaddy for me.

Driver, mini, HW, Divine9? LOL! Look the hell out!

I'm following this.

Legit contender for #TheGrandaddy for me.

Driver, mini, HW, Divine9? LOL! Look the hell out!

Looks like a championship top end of the bag to me!

planning on hitting the range tonight with the SC100. That should give some idea on distance. On the course yesterday only hit a couple of balls because the range was off limits due to rain in the AM. I scoped the flag at 197 and while I was right of the green, distance was in the 190 neighborhood. Didn't really hit it well, but it was enough to give me a good shot. Not really enough to go by, therefore tonight should give a better indication of where it fits in the bag.

I did not realize you went so deep with Hybos. They are easier to hit. If this can replace two hybrids, you'll add another wedge?
that's what I'm looking for as well. Heck I haven't played a 5 iron all year TBH. My setup was Heavenwood, X2 Hot 4h(22), Wilson Fybrid 4h(24), 6 iron. During the testing phase I'm going to kick those 2 hybrids out of the bag.

I did not realize you went so deep with Hybos. They are easier to hit. If this can replace two hybrids, you'll add another wedge?

toyed with a few setups throughout the year. Sometimes swap the mini driver for the other hybrid. Depends on the course really. But I have not had a 5 iron in the bag all year.

Do you have in expectation for this club in terms of distance (carry). What situation you might be inclined to use it?
toyed with a few setups throughout the year. Sometimes swap the mini driver for the other hybrid. Depends on the course really. But I have not had a 5 iron in the bag all year.

So it seems this is in that 4-to-5 hybrid territory in terms of distance. Those are clubs that I'll use when I'm in the rough on a long hole, and I've punched out with it on occasion. In terms of putting it in your bag, would you have any concerns about losing the versatility you get with a hybrid versus a fairway in these types of lies?

Do you have in expectation for this club in terms of distance (carry). What situation you might be inclined to use it?

would love for it to be a club that could get me 185-195.

planning on hitting the range tonight with the SC100. That should give some idea on distance. On the course yesterday only hit a couple of balls because the range was off limits due to rain in the AM. I scoped the flag at 197 and while I was right of the green, distance was in the 190 neighborhood. Didn't really hit it well, but it was enough to give me a good shot. Not really enough to go by, therefore tonight should give a better indication of where it fits in the bag.

I'm going to be looking for this update. I also don't carry/use a 5i enough and if this can fit that slot between my 6i and HW that would be great.

Back