Callaway Great Big Bertha Driver Review Thread

Got my gbb back from continental. Paint turned out nice IMO.
44dded8d23d8c2eea665160d36bf76e5.jpg

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Wow that came out great looking

Got my gbb back from continental. Paint turned out nice IMO.
44dded8d23d8c2eea665160d36bf76e5.jpg

Nice!!!! I was thinking about doing that same thing.

Sent from my SM-G920V using Tapatalk

Hit this one over the weekend and wow was it so easy to hit! This has me really in a hard ponder for this now. Distance was great and I was able to get slight draws very consistently and easily. Came away really really impressed. was hitting it 10.5* with a reg flex shaft. Was seeing easily more distance than my current and toe hits (my main miss) were not penalized as much as I was expecting. heavy ponder now...

Today was by far the best day I've had with the GBB paired with a Grandura 590 shaft . My average drives where 15 yards further nothan what I have been hitting the last 10 times out. I hit 3 dri es 272+ and my best was a drive to 565 yards on a uphill fairway against the wind. I hit all but one fairway which also was my best of the year. I'm really driving it well right now, and hopefully this will continue. I also used the new Chrome Soft ball with the truvis technology. That ball just jumps off the face. Can't say if it's the head, shaft, ball, or my swing that's responsible for delivering the long flights. But I am Liking it! !!

Sent from my SM-G920V using Tapatalk

Hit this one over the weekend and wow was it so easy to hit! This has me really in a hard ponder for this now. Distance was great and I was able to get slight draws very consistently and easily. Came away really really impressed. was hitting it 10.5* with a reg flex shaft. Was seeing easily more distance than my current and toe hits (my main miss) were not penalized as much as I was expecting. heavy ponder now...

Can I ask if you've done much comparison between this and the other mainstream new heads, e.g. New cobra line, M1, M2, XR16, Ping etc? Always intrigued to hear from guys who play a regular shaft like me. Thanks

Can I ask if you've done much comparison between this and the other mainstream new heads, e.g. New cobra line, M1, M2, XR16, Ping etc? Always intrigued to hear from guys who play a regular shaft like me. Thanks
Hit it against the majority of newer heads. Didn't try any of the pro versions or super low spinning heads tho. The day we went and hit I ended up hitting,
Cobra: F6, F6+
W/S: F5
Taylormade: M1, M2
Nike: Vapor Fly
Mizuno: JPX EZ
Ping: G, G30
XXIO: 9
Callaway: GBB, XR16, XR
and while the XXIO was a bit straighter for me it didn't appear as long. The GBB was by far the best of the bunch when it came to dispersion, distance and forgiveness. Mind you that's just for me and this was on the range not a LM. so it was all by eye. But with the GBB I was hitting it great and had the confidence. As much as I wanted a F6 I can say I'm not getting one, I will be buying a GBB. Just performed for me.

Hit it against the majority of newer heads. Didn't try any of the pro versions or super low spinning heads tho. The day we went and hit I ended up hitting,
Cobra: F6, F6+
W/S: F5
Taylormade: M1, M2
Nike: Vapor Fly
Mizuno: JPX EZ
Ping: G, G30
XXIO: 9
Callaway: GBB, XR16, XR
and while the XXIO was a bit straighter for me it didn't appear as long. The GBB was by far the best of the bunch when it came to dispersion, distance and forgiveness. Mind you that's just for me and this was on the range not a LM. so it was all by eye. But with the GBB I was hitting it great and had the confidence. As much as I wanted a F6 I can say I'm not getting one, I will be buying a GBB. Just performed for me.

Much appreciated.
I realise that each person is different, and I would need to get fitted myself, but it was good to hear that you hit it against the other main options. I don't think the XXIO is available here, but I can try most of the others, in different stores.
Hope you get on well with your GBB
Thanks

Went today with a buddy to his driver fitting. Guy has a hdcp of 4 and only plays Titleist. He likes to tease me about my Callaway clubs. He spent about an hour hitting the Titleist 915 d2, Ping G, M1...was not feeling really comfortable until he started hitting the GBB. Once he got the right shaft and setting the club outperformed....and he ended up ordering a new GBB. (I was a bit shocked but impressed that he was open minded about going with what works)With all the new club models I had forgotten about the GBB. This is a really great driver that I cant wait to test.

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk

Grandura 530 came in today from Kang. Looking forward to trying the pairing with the GBB head tomorrow.

Find an old beat up BB2014 use that weight

I have cut down the shaft on my GBB and would like to get the SW back up. I have a battered Big Bertha that I can try the weight from.

However, the sliding bit the weight is attached seems to slot into place, and I can't work out how to get the new one in there.

Any thoughts?

I'm guessing unscrew the weight all the way and it will fall out

That's how I installed it. Guy I bought it from said that's what he did

I've been trying this again. The weights are different sizes and attach in different ways. In the GBB the weight is larger and bolts to a carrier which 'tilt's in and out. in the BB2014, the weights slide out by removing the weight near the hosel.

I'd love to see a photo of your weights and how you got them in.

Sorry to respond to my own post, but I have managed to get a genuine GBB sliding weight from Callaway. Should be here in a day or so.

I've been trying this again. The weights are different sizes and attach in different ways. In the GBB the weight is larger and bolts to a carrier which 'tilt's in and out. in the BB2014, the weights slide out by removing the weight near the hosel.

I'd love to see a photo of your weights and how you got them in.

Sorry didn't see this post. In the GBB the weight slides in by the farthest "fade" setting.

Yep, worked that out. Still couldn't get the BB 2014 weight onto the GBB though. The size and fixing system is very different.

i'm much happier about having two of the GBB weights in there anyway, for aesthetic reasons alone. Plus I can now sell the BB 2014 unbutchered.

Of course I now have the OCD golfer's joy of trying to work out whether the two weights should be separated for (theoretically) better MOI, or kept together for maximum flight change, or placed where my worst miss is.

Either way I tip my hat to Callaway customer service.

Although I was slightly disingenuous about why I needed an extra weight, I offered to pay and they refused.

Good business practice.

I was tossing up between irons to potentially replace my JDM GBBs and plumped for XR Pros instead of RSi 2s just because of this experience.

I have just had a phone call to say my driver has arrived, so I will be picking it up hopefully either tomorrow or Friday and it will then get its first taste of action at the range on Sunday morning if all goes according to plan

Can't wait to get it

Looking forward to your thoughts Doctor.

I have just had a phone call to say my driver has arrived, so I will be picking it up hopefully either tomorrow or Friday and it will then get its first taste of action at the range on Sunday morning if all goes according to plan

Can't wait to get it

hope it warms up a bit for you too. Don't want to be hitting with 7 layers on...

Finally got to hit this again after a month of no playing. Went and played some sim golf which is better than just staring at my driver in my basement. I was hitting great drives all evening and just really can not wait to get this in play outside this season. I love the muted sound, and just feel so confident with it on the tee box. Really looking forward to testing this out with the Oban Hashimoto shaft.

That's awesome misike. Something to be said with the fitting and putting it in play. Then coming back 2 months later and seeing the same success.

Supposed to touch close to 60° here on Saturday.
Stoked for my first warm(ish) round with the new GBB.

Can't wait to get it

Picked the driver up today but been out and about so I haven't even taken the plastic cover off yet

The plan is still to get to the range on Sunday for the first hit

Back