Callaway XR16 Driver Review Thread

Can't wait to see what the data shadows for this one.

So many great looking drivers out there! These are definitely on my radar right behind the New Cobra offerings. I played the last couple rounds with my old X2 Hot Pro and these new ones are certainly an upgrade.

I was so hyped to put new XR16 9* in the bag but after yesterday's lesson with GBB, might have to push back purchasing XR16 so soon. I do like how easy it is to launch.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

I was so hyped to put new XR16 9* in the bag but after yesterday's lesson with GBB, might have to push back purchasing XR16 so soon. I do like how easy it is to launch.

Silly easy to get this one up in the air. I was hitting the 10.5* and it wanted to just let the ball climb and climb.

I just hit this club at lunch time. The looks are what we have come to expect from Callaway. The matte black looks fantastic paired with the red shaft. I love the sound and according to the LM at golfsmith this thing is a bomber for me. They only had the 9° which is a little low for me and it showed in my launch angle but paired with the red speeder evoution in stiff flex I was seeing spin #s in the high teens to low 2000s and some ridiculous distances. Definitely going to need to get this outside and see how it really performs.

Nice JD. This is very similar to what I saw personally.

I just hit this club at lunch time. The looks are what we have come to expect from Callaway. The matte black looks fantastic paired with the red shaft. I love the sound and according to the LM at golfsmith this thing is a bomber for me. They only had the 9° which is a little low for me and it showed in my launch angle but paired with the red speeder evoution in stiff flex I was seeing spin #s in the high teens to low 2000s and some ridiculous distances. Definitely going to need to get this outside and see how it really performs.

nice! Man I can't wait to swing this thing again, I just think back to the few swings I took with at ECPC. Just so easy to hit.

nice! Man I can't wait to swing this thing again, I just think back to the few swings I took with at ECPC. Just so easy to hit.

It really was and I was seeing better numbers with it than the GBB. I liked the original too when I tested it, but the project X shafts and me don't get along for some reason.

It really was and I was seeing better numbers with it than the GBB. I liked the original too when I tested it, but the project X shafts and me don't get along for some reason.

I didn't hit them side by side on Trackman, but I seriously believe that the balls I hit with this stock setup, rivaled or exceeded the ones I hit with GBB. And during most of my driver fitting I hit GBB well.

I am looking forward to trying this one. I really liked the look of it at ECPC, but being a lefty was my downfall here.

I didn't hit them side by side on Trackman, but I seriously believe that the balls I hit with this stock setup, rivaled or exceeded the ones I hit with GBB. And during most of my driver fitting I hit GBB well.

Yes the shaft was a big surprise. Hate to use this term but it didn't feel to "whippy" to me like the white speeder that was in last years 815.

After trying the XR out at Lake Jovita, I'm definitely interested in hitting it more, maybe trying out some other shafts to try to bring the spin down.

Yes the shaft was a big surprise. Hate to use this term but it didn't feel to "whippy" to me like the white speeder that was in last years 815.

definitely a great pairing. The stock shaft in both new drivers are very complimentary to these drivers.

Hit this thing at golfsmith today. It was easy to hit. Set at 10° with grandura 530 was really nice flight. Instant ponder. For a club designed to be higher spinning than pro models it was not too high spinning. What I saw with 10° was about 15° launch and avg of 2k spin. Some long carries were seen.

Found it...

I need this in my life ASAP.

I got a little more spin with it around 2800/3200 me than my GBB. But that was with stock shaft and lousy swing. Will do a little more work this week at luchtime.

Sent from my SM-G900V using Tapatalk

Really looking forward to the reviews on this driver. Currently game a GGB and from the comments I have read, this new XR 16 just might find it's way to bag soon. Can't wait to hear more about it because it's becoming a strong ponder

Really looking forward to the reviews on this driver. Currently game a GGB and from the comments I have read, this new XR 16 just might find it's way to bag soon. Can't wait to hear more about it because it's becoming a strong ponder

Hope you're ready to say goodbye to your GBB because once you've hit XR16 driver, you're not going to want to play GBB again. Honestly it that good and so easy/forgiving to play.

Hit this earlier this week and it was a great club. Most of the other drivers I tested we're going 230-245 but this thing was consistently above 250 carry for me. It has a great feel to it and is just fun to hit.
I am really happy with my driver options in my bag but this thing is a little bit of a ponder for me.

Between the two, GGB or XR16. which would you go with?

I answered that myself after 1 round with the XR-16...the XR-16. More forgiving and just plain easy to hit with more distance.

Last edited:
Back