Cleveland Smart Sole Wedges

Dude you got me slobbering like a hog in a slop bucket for one of these!

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

haha! I believe I was happier -n- a hog in slop bucket hitting this today! I'm pretty sure I stupid grin on my face.

I hope PGASS paid you a commission for that!! :alien:

I picked up the S wedge a few weeks ago but haven't been able to play around with it yet because of the wonderful weather we've been having in Minnesota (sarcasm). Today I finally got out to an outdoor range, as the courses started opening up this week, and hit a few balls with my S wedge. Really easy to hit and an overall nice feel off the turf. The sole is going to take some time to get used to. Maybe that's more of a mental thing for me, but either way it still plays really well. I'm actually looking forward to getting into a greenside bunker so I can really put it through the ringer! Playing my first round of 2014 tomorrow morning so I'm sure it will be in play at some point.

I'm jealous, the courses aren't even open here yet.

Here's what I can say -- I've spent many a year mocking guys who use their flop wedge on shots instead of getting it running. Mind you the bump and run is still my shot of choice but this dern S wedge has me hitting more flop shots than I ever have in my golf history. So easy.

Just purchased the S wedge myself and I am looking forward to missing some greens and finding some bunkers to put this wedge to the test. Playing 18 tomorrow, we will see how it goes!

Okay, I have 2 rounds under my belt with the S wedge in the bag......ZERO chunks, 2 thin shots....but mostly nice pure shots....both full swing and chips and pitches, I even hit a 40 yard pitch to 2 feet to save a par on the #1 handicap hole yesterday.

still in ponder mode on the C wedge

Okay, I have 2 rounds under my belt with the S wedge in the bag......ZERO chunks, 2 thin shots....but mostly nice pure shots....both full swing and chips and pitches, I even hit a 40 yard pitch to 2 feet to save a par on the #1 handicap hole yesterday.

still in ponder mode on the C wedge

This amazes me that you guys can hit pitch shots from up to 60 yards out with a 58 degree chipper :bulgy-eyes:

This amazes me that you guys can hit pitch shots from up to 60 yards out with a 58 degree chipper :bulgy-eyes:
I think I know what you are saying here, but I wouldn't call the S a chipper. The C, with its shape and its 42° of loft, yes, I absolutely see chipper. But the S, and its 58°, at address, looks just like a normal wedge to me.

It's definitely a wedge, a very good wedge from what I've seen so far. I balked more at the 58* loft than the sole at first, but I'm really happy I didn't overlook this one.

Agree. The c wedge is a chipper. The s wedge is a full blown wedge. 60-70 yards is max for me with the 58 degrees of loft

Agree. The c wedge is a chipper. The s wedge is a full blown wedge. 60-70 yards is max for me with the 58 degrees of loft

I love it ! Looking forward to gaming this in the King ?

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Hey guys I got my C wedge in the mail today! I will be out working my arse off with this puppy for the King! :blob: I'm hoping to kick some arse with the Cleveland C Wedge and rep them good :thumb:

I got my "C" wedge today and man it has impressed me to say the least! I hit about 75 balls into the pasture and was thrilled with the results. I'm taking it on the course tomorrow and will report back on my thoughts.

Ok the C wedge got a few shots on the golf course today. First of all I struggle with everything today as it was one of those days. :beat-up: I did hit some pretty neat punch and run shots with it which is the good thing. The bad thing is it's not chunk proof, at least not for me. I hit a couple of chunky monkey's however my technique was not working today on the shots that I hit fat. Poor execution however I am saying you definitely can chunk this club. I will take it out next week to see if it makes the bag for the King. Not sure at this point.

Ok the C wedge got a few shots on the golf course today. First of all I struggle with everything today as it was one of those days. :beat-up: I did hit some pretty neat punch and run shots with it which is the good thing. The bad thing is it's not chunk proof, at least not for me. I hit a couple of chunky monkey's however my technique was not working today on the shots that I hit fat. Poor execution however I am saying you definitely can chunk this club. I will take it out next week to see if it makes the bag for the King. Not sure at this point.

Do you think the chunks would have been worse if you didn't have the wide sole?

OG how do you think this first outing with the smart sole C-wedge compares to your early outings with the niblick 42°? If you can remember the first few outings with the niblick 42°. I know you will keep us informed as you progress with the C-wedge and any club needs a getting to know you period.

I haven't looked yet, but do you remember if you posted your first impressions of the niblick in the niblick thread?

Do you think the chunks would have been worse if you didn't have the wide sole?

I honestly think the result (chunk) would have been the same because it was more swing fault over whatever club I would have gamed. This just tells me that no matter what club you have in your hands if your execution is poor bad things will happen.

OG how do you think this first outing with the smart sole C-wedge compares to your early outings with the niblick 42°? If you can remember the first few outings with the niblick 42°. I know you will keep us informed as you progress with the C-wedge and any club needs a getting to know you period.

I haven't looked yet, but do you remember if you posted your first impressions of the niblick in the niblick thread?

I'm looking forward to a couple more rounds with the C wedge so I can compare the two better. From the one round today I can tell the weight difference is quite noticeable for me with the niblick being heavier. The niblick in my opinion and this is from a very early stage, might be better coming out of thick rough or punching out from the woods and such. I love niblick as a rescue club from bad places. It shined for me in that area. We'll see how it goes from here and I will report back once the shine wears off the club. :D I need to hit enough to get dirty before I can get a real feel for it.. :thumb:

I honestly think the result (chunk) would have been the same because it was more swing fault over whatever club I would have gamed. This just tells me that no matter what club you have in your hands if your execution is poor bad things will happen.

True. I know sometimes I try to hit a chip too easy, chunk it, and the club just kinda stops (like stubbing the putter). No club can fix that. imo

Several really good shots with the S wedge today.....2 bunker shots and got out effortlessly....need to get used to the distances on bunker shots because the ball comes out so easy.

Hit several really good pitches, one from about 30 yards that took one hop and stopped on a dime about 2 feet to save a par.

I hit one chunky one that was caused by chipping into the grain in thick bermuda and it just shut the club down.....I still think this club is going to really help me save 5-7 strokes a round off my game once I get used to it.

I am ordering the C wedge this week.

Several really good shots with the S wedge today.....2 bunker shots and got out effortlessly....need to get used to the distances on bunker shots because the ball comes out so easy.

Hit several really good pitches, one from about 30 yards that took one hop and stopped on a dime about 2 feet to save a par.

I hit one chunky one that was caused by chipping into the grain in thick bermuda and it just shut the club down.....I still think this club is going to really help me save 5-7 strokes a round off my game once I get used to it.

I am ordering the C wedge this week.

Good stuff! I'm chomping at the bit to get this on the course, as I watch the snow come down today.

At least some of this could have to do with still needing to spend more quality time with it in the bunker, but I struggled like crazy with the S wedge for two rounds over the weekend. Probably was in 10 bunkers and had one shot work the way I wanted it to.

I will give it some more work for sure, but for any "real" rounds the next few weeks, I am putting my regular 60* back in the bag.

I worked with the C wedge today for an hour and came away smiling. I'm really getting some good results out of it. I have no doubt it is much better and has more versatility for me than the older Niblick 42 degree that I still own. I was hitting low punch and runs and high soft shots into the tiny greens on our par 3 and just having and overall blast with it. Instead of calling it my C wedge I have renamed her to my Cougar wedge. She's hawt and ready for action! :bananadance:

At least some of this could have to do with still needing to spend more quality time with it in the bunker, but I struggled like crazy with the S wedge for two rounds over the weekend. Probably was in 10 bunkers and had one shot work the way I wanted it to.

I will give it some more work for sure, but for any "real" rounds the next few weeks, I am putting my regular 60* back in the bag.
How were you playing it out of the sand? I struggled a lot with it initially because I was taking an open stance/open face approach. It's gotten a lot better now that I am square/square to target. You could also try moving the ball position up (for higher shots) and back (for lower).

How were you playing it out of the sand? I struggled a lot with it initially because I was taking an open stance/open face approach. It's gotten a lot better now that I am square/square to target. You could also try moving the ball position up (for higher shots) and back (for lower).

I was playing it square stance/square to target and putting the ball slightly forward in my stance. I mostly felt like I had no distance control with it. I never had huge problems getting out of the sand before, so this might have been trying to simplify the game in a place that I didn't really need it.

I am not done with the experiment by any means...just benching it for real rounds for now until I am more comfortable.

Good stuff, how far away were you Ole Gray when you were hitting the higher lofted shots with the C?
I worked with the C wedge today for an hour and came away smiling. I'm really getting some good results out of it. I have no doubt it is much better and has more versatility for me than the older Niblick 42 degree that I still own. I was hitting low punch and runs and high soft shots into the tiny greens on our par 3 and just having and overall blast with it. Instead of calling it my C wedge I have renamed her to my Cougar wedge. She's hawt and ready for action! :bananadance:

Good stuff, how far away were you Ole Gray when you were hitting the higher lofted shots with the C?

The shortest distance was 40 yards and the furthest was 90. Before I came in from the par 3 practice area I stopped directly behind a little pond guarding one of our greens. I had to hit a high shot to stop in on this particular green . Distance was approx 50 yards and I hit the prettiest little floater in there by choking down swinging back to just above a half swing and firing through the ball. It hit the green and rolled maybe three feet tops and stopped dead in it's tracks. This put the crown on my hard practice today because I was working hard on this exact shot and to execute it so well was so cool.

Back