Should golf courses give discounts?

Courses around here will switch what hole they start on between 1 and 10 at times. This is to alleviate the extra wear on the front nine due to 9 hole players.
I don't really care where I start, as long as I get all 18 holes and IMHO, no discount for starting on 10.

We paid the regular golf fees but was started on the hole #10..Should we have been given a discount?

No. Why would you think you are entitled to a discount?

We don't start people of the back to help pace of play. The only time we do it is when there is a 9 hole league that afternoon that alternates nines each week. By starting everyone of the nine that the league is starting on later, you don't have people turning to the nine when the league is starting.

not for your situation, no.

But yes there are situations when courses should give break. Played one recently were the weather was crappy. Normally 89, they offered us 59 but no rain check. I do think courses who have some big time green maintenance going on should do the same. and up here most do.

I wouldn't expect a discount, but it irks me, especially if it's a course I haven't played before. By starting on the back nine, you're not playing the course in the order or routing the architect intended and because of that, you're being deprived of that experience. I understand the logistics of it and I don't expect to pay less, but I don't like it. It's like eating dessert, then appetizers, then dinner. Sure you're getting a full meal, but it's not ideal.
I don't disagree with the "experience" side of.

With that said, if starting off if 10 is an option for the course, a good design will still be enjoyable from 10 and ending on 9. I'm not really thinking of the resort or destination courses. But most local tracks wouldn't bother me.

As someone who very frequently only plays 9 holes, I smile when I see the "Play off of #10" sign posted. It means I'll get to play a side of the course I don't normally get to.

We use to do this at all of the course I worked at from time to time. If you played all 18, then no discount should have been given....unless it was mentioned that you would get one while checking in.

Thats different. Outings with shotgun starts are advertised as such

I don't disagree with that, but just because you know or don't know which hole you will be starting on is no reason for expecting a discount if you don't start at the 1st

As someone who very frequently only plays 9 holes, I smile when I see the "Play off of #10" sign posted. It means I'll get to play a side of the course I don't normally get to.

A lot of courses round here will actually start people only playing 9 holes on the 10th, rather than the 1st

It is a common occurrence at my course, typically because the front 9 is naturally wetter than the back. If turf feels that they can get the back 9 prepped better and faster while it lets the front 9 dry, they'll start everyone on the back. Also, if there are tournaments, events, etc. that necessitate starting on the back.

If I get to play 18 and the pace of play is fine, you could start me on any hole and I'd be happy.

We paid the regular golf fees but was started on the hole #10..Should we have been given a discount?
Can I ask why you felt you should have been given a discount? Was the golfing experience somehow marred because you started on #10 and finished on #9?

This type of thing bugs my OCD but I've never thought a discount was required.
Just think of it as playing two out of three nine hole courses at a CC with 27 holes. #10 is the #1 of a nine hole course.

Very common around here for several reasons -
  • The comfort station at 10 isn't open during the weekday so we start on 10 during the weekdays so that each group can go to the clubhouse between 18 and 1.
  • It gives the maintenance crew more time to work on the front 9 before having to work between golfers.
  • There are 3 Par 3s on the back and 2 on the front and pace-of-play works out better.
  • Number 10 is a drivable Par 4, so groups get backed up at the turn.

I can keep going on-and-on but there are very legitimate reasons for starting on 10. Some courses I prefer to start on 1 like when 9 is a par 3 or 18 is a par 5, but as long as I get all 18 in I'm okay with it.

I intentionally start of on the 10th hole at my home course if I think the course will play faster. I just did last Thursday at 10:40 because the back nine was almost empty and the ladies had all the 8:20 to 10:30 tee times. We were able to play the back nine as a threesome in 1:25 and then play the front in 1:40 and decided to play an extra nine. The last nine was a little slower but we still finished 27 in less than 5 hours. If I would have gone off the front at 10:40 it would have taken about 4.5 hours to play 18 holes.

I intentionally start of on the 10th hole at my home course if I think the course will play faster. I just did last Thursday at 10:40 because the back nine was almost empty and the ladies had all the 8:20 to 10:30 tee times. We were able to play the back nine as a threesome in 1:25 and then play the front in 1:40 and decided to play an extra nine. The last nine was a little slower but we still finished 27 in less than 5 hours. If I would have gone off the front at 10:40 it would have taken about 4.5 hours to play 18 holes.

We discourage people from deciding on their own that they are going to play the other nine first. When people do, oftentimes they complain about not being able to make the turn because it's crowded. But since they started on the wrong nine, people with tee times have priority over someone who played the other nine first on their own accord. They get fit in when we can fit them in. A lot of times it's someone who has arrived way early (or without a tee time) and expects to be let out just because they are there.

If it is a valid practice for tournament golf then there can be no complaints when it is done during a casual round of golf. No need for a discount.

I wouldn't expect a discount, but it irks me, especially if it's a course I haven't played before. By starting on the back nine, you're not playing the course in the order or routing the architect intended and because of that, you're being deprived of that experience. I understand the logistics of it and I don't expect to pay less, but I don't like it. It's like eating dessert, then appetizers, then dinner. Sure you're getting a full meal, but it's not ideal.

Totally agree.I feel the same way you do.

This is normal at my course for 18.

These are quotes from old posts but I didn't address them the first time this thread came up! Sorry!

We have a course here (Tomahawk Hills) that I played a lot on from 1978 to 2000. In 2000 or so they swapped the nines permanently. So it's like a permanent experience deprivation.

I bet the chef at a nice restaurant doesn't want me to put ketchup over everything but often it is provided. The course is trying to give you a better experience by starting you off on #10. No discount needed. I am sure if you ask nicely they will let you wait for the opportunity to start on #1 if it is that is what you prefer.
At our course they would have to wait until the next day to start on #1. Courses have a reason for starting play on #10 and it's just the way it is some days.

My post was clear I didn't expect a discount. The course putting me on 10 has very little to do with enhancing my experience IMO. And there are times when I have requested playing from 1 and they wouldn't let me.
Yep. Because they had a reason to start you on #10. They aren't doing it to be a$$holes, but because it needs to be done.

We discourage people from deciding on their own that they are going to play the other nine first. When people do, oftentimes they complain about not being able to make the turn because it's crowded. But since they started on the wrong nine, people with tee times have priority over someone who played the other nine first on their own accord. They get fit in when we can fit them in. A lot of times it's someone who has arrived way early (or without a tee time) and expects to be let out just because they are there.

I'm thinking that maybe tahoebum's home course is private. IME, if a private course is generally lighter play, there is a lot of tolerance for members just teeing off wherever. One private I play often with a member has 27 holes and generally we just look to see what's open and tee off on whichever 9 looks most open. When I lived in Seattle, my CFO was a member at a nice private course in Bellevue - sometimes we'd get out for 3-4 holes at lunch and we would just jump on in an open stretch.

I wouldn't expect a discount but if I was playing an top 100 course such as Pebble Beach for the first time my answer might be different.

Yeah, if you're laying out a bunch of benjamins for a round you kind of expect to get filet. Good thing with places that are top dollar is they generally space groups well and try to give you the platinum experience.

Back