PING G Irons - THP Review

Very well done Jman!

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Hit the 7 iron today just a few times on the range. Really good looking club. Think it looks way better than the G30 irons did. Ping really hid its size well. Got a nice high ball flight, and they were crazy easy to hit. Have never been a big fan of Ping irons before, but I might have to give these some more swings. I was very impressed.

Have had a couple more rounds with these, and a number of range sessions. I'm settling in with them, and I'm still happy. A few things that have stood out to me with these recently - some of which I've said before and want to highlight, others are new.

• The long irons are about as good as it gets if you're looking for forgiveness. I can be 185-190 out and feel pretty confident standing over the ball. That's huge for me.
  • The blade length on these is long, but I was surprised when I compared the club to OITW's DPF and saw they were about the same length in the long/mid irons. Don't get me wrong, the G was bigger in about every other dimension, just thought it was interesting.
  • Coming from a smaller set, the short irons have taken some getting used to, but I've found them to be pretty versatile. I was able to hit the UW out of a fairway divot, and felt like I made as good contact as I would have with the 48. Chipping and pitching have been OK, but I'd be lying if I said they were as versatile as a smaller wedge.
  • Both at address and in the bag, I think these look significantly better than the previous G series iterations. That's completely subjective though.

The clubs are starting to feel like "my clubs" - which has gone a long way towards me feeling comfortable on course. I'm heading to the range tomorrow for a long session, and playing 18 Sunday. Is there anything folks are interested in that I can pay special attention to?

Page 8, not many folks playing these?

Weather & scheduling, I haven't been out much with mine yet and the 1 round I got in I had serious swing issues so not much to say yet but got that sorted and out tonight, will report back.

Weather & scheduling, I haven't been out much with mine yet and the 1 round I got in I had serious swing issues so not much to say yet but got that sorted and out tonight, will report back.

Looking forward to your thoughts!

And thanks for the reminder to update on these - they're still in my bag, and I've hit some great shots with these. Still working out some setup issues - what looks like a square face is actually open to me, but I'm getting that dialed in.

I played with my father yesterday - he has my old set of G15s in the bag. One thing I noticed was just how different the soles of these are than the G15s - I meant to grab a picture before we left, but forgot. The sole absolutely plays a lot thinner than the G15/20 era G series. The soles are thinner in general, and there's trailing edge relief on the Gs that isn't on the G15s.

I've got the i25 S/L wedges in the bag, and I won't lie - I prefer the look of the i series short irons to the G series. But, as I get used to them I'm feeling that less and less.

Just had a fitting today. Hit a lot of different irons and settled on the g. Now hopefully ping builds them up quickly. Felt like a pretty big upgrade from my speedblades. Of course my swing has changed a lot and my handicap is down 8 points since I bought the speedblades.

Thanks for the ping, as it were.

I have played these since early March in sim leagues and had all of five outdoor rounds with them. Like others, I am working through some swing and ball changes, but I can say this thus far:

The clubs convey a feeling of comfort and confidence at address and throughout the swing. I would consider them to be more forgiving than my previous Tour Edge GI irons.

It's hard to say whether these clubs are longer than my old ones, They are about half a club stronger than the 2006 irons they replaced, but before I started working on my swing and my ball selection, once I got accustomed to them with my old swing, I was working really hard and hitting an e6 about 165 yards with a 6 iron vs 160 for my Tour Edge 6. With some swing modifications, I am swinging much easier and hitting that same e6 about 175. If I use a Supersoft or Duo, that becomes about 185.

It's a pretty amazing feeling as a 60 year old to put a 6 iron pin high and 25 feet left of the hole from the short rough, uphill, and 186 yards away. It's almost as cool when your son says, "WHAT did you hit?" He's used to seeing my 6 irons going 160. Now some of that is a far more efficient swing. Some of it is a different ball. But some of it is undoubtedly the G irons. My hybrids and driver aren't significantly longer after the other changes,

It's harder to slice/hook the ball with these. But it is possible. Ball flight is pretty much straight and a function of my swing path. I'm not just happy with that - I'm ecstatic.

My biggest struggle with these has been dialing in consistent distances with my shorter irons, 8-gap. I had similar issues with the 5-7 but I am pretty confident today how far I am going to hit them. I'm needing to club down significantly to be sure I don't run into trouble long. Yesterday, I flew a 9 iron 20 yards over the flag from 134 yards, in the rough, and slightly uphill to the green. Two holes before that, my 9 went 140 from the fairway on a level hole. And none of these are thin hits.

I've been fitted for my last three sets, but I've never felt more comfortable than with the G irons. And I got used to them pretty quickly although the first lessons I ever had have helped enormously in that respect. All that said, yesterday was my fifth outdoor round with these irons and I shot my third-best round ever.

I'm really glad I Have them in my bag.

I very much like these irons, but I'm second guessing the shaft fitting I had. I was wavering between the KBS tour and the Nippon - they gave me practically the same numbers on good strikes, but I'm finding that I have had some struggles contact-wise with the Gs - I'm thinking a heavier shaft would have been better. Historically, I've fit into that 120+g range on things like the mizuno optimizer and the like.

Thinking of going with a reshaft, or trade in and order. The performance on these is phenominal, and when I'm hitting them well, they're surprisingly versatile for a larger iron.

Just had a fitting today. Hit a lot of different irons and settled on the g. Now hopefully ping builds them up quickly. Felt like a pretty big upgrade from my speedblades. Of course my swing has changed a lot and my handicap is down 8 points since I bought the speedblades.

mysticfalcon, I am playing speedblades and for 2 years now and still have inconsistent distance and forgiveness. I am looking for new set of irons like G to get more consistency. How do you like your new G? Can you compare your speedblades against the new G irons in terms of distance, feel and forgiveness?

mysticfalcon, I am playing speedblades and for 2 years now and still have inconsistent distance and forgiveness. I am looking for new set of irons like G to get more consistency. How do you like your new G? Can you compare your speedblades against the new G irons in terms of distance, feel and forgiveness?

I like them quite a bit more than my speedblades. I tend to miss on the toe and the G is significantly less punishing for that miss. First round with them I put a ball on the fringe that was so far out the toe I barely hit the ball. My other big issue with the speedblades was the occasional screamer that I got that would be significantly long. Especially 5,6,7 irons, I would sometimes send a screamer over the green. Ive had none of those with the G. Ive found no miss that the G isn't at least equivalent and for many misses the G is better. The big sole really helps out when Im getting chunky. There is still distance loss but Ive never been chunky enough with the G to lose more than 25-30 yards on a shot. With my Speedblades if I was getting chunky it was easy to lose 50% distance. Still bad shots but less punishment.
Distances are fairly comparable to me. Gap wedge for me with speedblades was 110 and with the G its 105. 4-Iron with the Speedblades was 195 and with the G it is 200. I only use Gap wedge for full shots so I prefer the G wedges. Its easy to choke up on it and turn it from 105 into a 90 yard shot. I know that a lot of people really liked the Speedblade gap wedge but I prefer a more matching wedge in that spot for full swings. I kind of prefer the G's gapping. They tend to be more evenly spaced for me. I always found the Speedblades to have bigger gaps at the short end and smaller gaps at the long end.
Feel with the G is better to me. Misshits are still easy to feel but it it less painful feeling. Shots in the sweet spot just feel better with the G. its just smooth for lack of a better word.

post-418736-14674114556339_thumb.jpg

I'm not sure if it's my Ping G irons or the lessons i took over the winter (or the combo) but i'm playing significantly better this year. Forgiveness on these clubs is incredible. They are even workable for me.

Has anyone tried these with soft regular shafts CF distance?

Has anyone tried these with soft regular shafts CF distance?

I hit these w/ the CFS distance, but not in SR - I liked the AWT a bit better, because you got the extra weight in the wedges and short irons. But love the CFS in the set of i25 I have.

Hit the seven iron today with the XP-95 shaft in reg, flex had a good shot pattern. Also hit the Ping AWT shaft and it was a little higher and felt like it was ballooning some . I just dont know which shaft to pick.

Kinda surprised there aren't more people excited about these. They appear to me as the best looking G iron yet.

Kinda surprised there aren't more people excited about these. They appear to me as the best looking G iron yet.

They are to me, by a large margin. I had a set of the i irons at the same time I had these, and I actually had trouble distinguishing between them if I was going side by side at the range.

I'm still playing i20s but I'm having iron lust again. I love the PXG but I'm a dead man walking if I paid for those. The maltby DBM also has me interested. I love the look of the I e1, but the G was way better looking than I expected. FINALLY A FERULE!! Top line ain't bad and loads of forgiveness. I love my i20 but wouldn't be opposed to those Gs. Aerotech steelfibers are a +$55 adder ea. Ewwww

I've really been thinking about these irons lately, ever since I saw Girard's last year in AL I keep staring at them i shops when I see them, swung them a few times in the shop, I think it's time I finally game a Ping set and these might be the ticket to do that!

Been playing with my irons, taylormade rac's, for over 10yrs and I'm due for an upgrade since I have more time to get out on the course now. Was really glad to read all the reviews on here. Will be going to get fitted soon, but from all the comments so far, these seem like the sticks I want to put in my bag! Keep 'em coming!

Anyone still hitting and happy with these? Or moved on to something that worked better for you?

Anyone still hitting and happy with these? Or moved on to something that worked better for you?

I moved on to a different set, but was hitting these while waiting to pick something up at the mall and remembered how good they were.

I just bought a new set 3 weeks ago after owning them all last year and getting rid of them. I am going back to what I know. The forgiveness is to good to pass up.

In year 2, still happy. I'm working with the swing, but the Gs are terrific.

Thinking about making a trade for these. I know a new set will be released soon but I don't think it will change all that much. Anyone here play the G that has played the Apex CF16? Just curious on launch and forgiveness comparo?

Thinking about making a trade for these. I know a new set will be released soon but I don't think it will change all that much. Anyone here play the G that has played the Apex CF16? Just curious on launch and forgiveness comparo?

They play pretty similarly in terms of launch. The G comes ahead in forgiveness.

Back