Callaway XR O/S Hybrids

pingman33

Reaction score
Handicap
Went to a Demo day on Saturday. Looking to buy a set of G Hybrids to replace my aging G10 Hybrids.

Hit the G hybrid in various lofts and they just didn't work for me. Ended up trying the Callaway Apex to match my new awesome Apex irons. Didn't work,

The Callaway rep asked me try the new XR O/S hybrids that were just released. These are incredible. I found it actually difficult to hit a bad shot with these. I hit the 3, 4 and 5 with the stock Fubuki shaft. Soft feel and great high ball flight. Distance was LONG! Forgiveness was off the chart on bad hits, still traveled very straight. I believe the 3-5 will match in perfect with my set.

I would say it is safe to say I have finally found a replacement for my G10's. Now all I have to do is find the funds to pull the trigger!

Joe

I have the XR OS 5 hybrid and it is a gamer for sure. So easy to hit.

Thanks for the input....Looking for some others before I make the purchase...

Joe

I have the XR OS 5 hybrid and it is a gamer for sure. So easy to hit.

Thanks JB...I was looking for that...

How do these compare to the original XR hybrids....These are available on CPO for over half off the OS price...

Joe

I have not spent enough time with them to help, but have one back at THP HQ, I will be testing next week when I get back from CA.

I have not spent enough time with them to help, but have one back at THP HQ, I will be testing next week when I get back from CA.

I'll be waiting to read your thoughts. Saw these in store the other day and they made quite the impression on me.

I'll be waiting to read your thoughts. Saw these in store the other day and they made quite the impression on me.

Yeah I have only hit about 10 balls total with them.

Yeah I have only hit about 10 balls total with them.

i really thought they would be more "game improvement" shaped but they're not. Very solid looking head at address.

They are easy to hit but I found the shaft / performance of the XR was better for me and the XR is in the bag.

My salesperson was surprised the OS did not win.

I have the 4 & 5 hybrid with my set. They have recoil 460 shafts. Very forgiving and not overly draw biased. Long! Callaway's best hybrid ever.

I tried to hit these yesterday and for some reason just did not get along with them. Could have been the shaft or me but compared head to head against the Ping G I was going from consistent straight ropes to hooks, slices, tops, you name it, just couldn't get comfortable.

Just the opposite of my experience...Thought for sure I was going to get the Ping G! That's why we hit em before we buy em!

I tried to hit these yesterday and for some reason just did not get along with them. Could have been the shaft or me but compared head to head against the Ping G I was going from consistent straight ropes to hooks, slices, tops, you name it, just couldn't get comfortable.

Just the opposite of my experience...Thought for sure I was going to get the Ping G! That's why we hit em before we buy em!

Ain't that the truth! Full brand bags don't work in my opinion, though it has taken me a very long time to form that opinion!

A bit of a update:

Purchased the XR/OS hybrids in a 3 and 4. Have the 5 on order and should be in any day now. After hitting them at 2 different simulators and one driving range decided to go with the regular flex shaft. Although, I was right on the stiff/reg line I decided to go with the regular shaft because the regular definitely gets the ball up in the air easier.

I have played two rounds with them and went to the range twice. I am really liking these hybrids. They are extremely easy to hit and the ball gets up in the air easy. Oh...and btw did I say they are long, yes, they are very long and straight! My favorite combination. Waiting on getting the 5. I really hope I don't end up with too much of a gap between the 5 hybrid and the 6 iron.

I would recommend these to anyone out there looking to replace there hybrids. It took me a long time to find something to replace my Ping G10's, but I think this is it!

Joe

Great feedback. I have one here and might put it in the bag tomorrow.

Is the launch on these considerably higher than the XR?

I recently bought a 5h XR and was let down when it launched much lower than my Exotics 5H.

Is the launch on these considerably higher than the XR?

I recently bought a 5h XR and was let down when it launched much lower than my Exotics 5H.

Yes. the launch is higher. I hit both in the simulator and the Project X shaft in the original XR was a lower launch than the stock shaft in the XR oversize.

If I was you I would take my XR to a retailer with a simulator and compare the two.

I could have got a better deal on the XR but I wanted the higher launch.

Joe

Great feedback. I have one here and might put it in the bag tomorrow.

Hope you do that JB...I would be very interested in hearing your thoughts on this club.

I really wanted to buy the Apex but I just found this club so much easier to hit!

I am coming from a Titleist 915H and this club is so much easier to hit and get into the air...loving this club so far...915H booted from the bag after using this club once on the range.

the more I read about this club the more I want to put one or two in the bag. I just wish there was a heavier stock option shaft.

I tried these again the other day and still no luck dialing them in. Was hitting it side by side with a Apex hybrid and was getting higher ball flight and tighter dispersion with the Apex oddly enough.

Back