Trying to Break 80 Club

Broke 80 for the first time last year, haven't come close so far this year but the year is young.

Came pretty close to it with an 81 today.....didn't realise how close it was until I added up the scores after finishing the 18th

Hoping to break the barrier this year....which, when I manage it, will only be the second time I have done it, but it is a goal for this year...

Close again on Sunday but no cigar. Shot 39 on the harder front 9 at my local course. Then went double, double on 10 and 11 with pushed hybrid shots then poor chips, followed by a procession of bogeys for a 84. We are coming out of a very dry summer and the course is rock hard and bare. The first cut of rough is easier to play off than the fairway. Need to get some wedges with less bounce for these types of conditions....

On the positive side the handicap index has dropped to a new low of 11.8. Getting there!

Slopped around for an 87 a week ago. With balls pluggin in fairways and greens far from smooth yet, I didn't feel too bad about it. There were a couple of massive scrambles though.

I had a couple 82's now so sub-80 is the next goal.

broke 80 for the first time last year then put together 3 rounds pretty close together in the high 70's at the end of the year. the last being a 78 with 6 ...
3 putts i know i know but i hit 15-18 greens :act-up:

new goal is 75 or lower for this year.

It's Sunday morning 7:20AM here..

Played the semi-finals of our winter teamcup yesterday. 76 on our par71 course.
Playing the finals today, hope to be able to do even better today :)

Only my third round of the year on Sunday, but pretty solid results for this early in the season. 41/36 77 on the temporary tee setup course. I hit the driver as well as I've ever hit it, iron's were ok and the putter was dead on all day, although I the sanded greens killed a ton of putts the looked good. As always I was still 20 yards or more behind my two buddies off the tee, but still got it done with the short game.

Only my third round of the year on Sunday, but pretty solid results for this early in the season. 41/36 77 on the temporary tee setup course. I hit the driver as well as I've ever hit it, iron's were ok and the putter was dead on all day, although I the sanded greens killed a ton of putts the looked good. As always I was still 20 yards or more behind my two buddies off the tee, but still got it done with the short game.

Congrats due! That's awesome

Hey Guys, I'm new to this forum but not at all to the addiction we call golf.

My goal for this season is to break 80, and I'm pretty confident I'm going to nail it soon. I spent the winter (I'm in Chicago) really working on getting my irons in line, and putting -- and the work seems to have paid dividends. I came out of the gates with two 86s rounds the first time I brought my new swing to the golf course. I've shot 80, 81, 82 multiple times last season... for me, at this point, I'm looking at a mental barrier more than anything. I'm really excited to post that first 77! (because, who wants to break 80 for the first time with a 79???)

My goal for this season is to break 80, and I'm pretty confident I'm going to nail it soon. I spent the winter (I'm in Chicago) really working on getting my irons in line, and putting -- and the work seems to have paid dividends. I came out of the gates with two 86s rounds the first time I brought my new swing to the golf course. I've shot 80, 81, 82 multiple times last season... for me, at this point, I'm looking at a mental barrier more than anything. I'm really excited to post that first 77! (because, who wants to break 80 for the first time with a 79???)

Good luck to you, hope we see it soon. Once you bust that barrier it will be smooth sailing.

I took whatever it have me! And it was a 79!

I broke 80 for the first time 2 weeks after joining this forum. I think it has some magical effect

I've never broken 85, but this year's the year I'll break 85 and 80. I lapsed last year and it took me all of the fall up until now to get back where I was.

I broke 80 last summer, shot 79 with 39 putts!! I was happy and frustrated, could have done much better if I hadn't putted like a monkey

Over a year ago I broke 80 for the first time. Since then it has been a struggle with a few rounds getting close. Today I finally broke through with a 40/39=79 on my home course. I wasn't keeping track and got up and down to save par on 18, it was a pleasant surprise to see that I needed to make that putt. My driver was a little off but rounded into form and my short game was solid. Didn't keep track of my putts but I did not have a three putt and my wedge game was solid. Had a five par streak on the front and closed the round par, par, birdie, par, par. So happy!

Broke 80 tonight with a 79. Easy course but some serious wind and rain to deal with.

FINALLY DID IT!

A 79 this morning with 3 birdies (another first for me)!

Very nice. Birdies sure do make it easier. I'm going to try to actually make some of those this year.

Have played in the high 70s a couple of times the last few years. Really hoping this is my year to do it consistently a few more times and not feel like I just had the game of my life. I think I am heading in the right direction, even though I feel like I have played embarrassingly bad golf to start the season, the scores at the end of the round are still in the high 80s so to me once a few things click I should be able to start pushing those numbers down pretty fast. (fingers crossed)

Shot 83 today! I had 2 penalty strokes and a number of putts within an inch that could have made this round something really special for me. Only had one bogey that wasn't a gimme, and even then it was a 6 foot putt. No doubles today had I putted a little bit better I could have had a very realistic chance of breaking 80. Still very happy with the round.

It had been 6 years since I shot in the 70's and there I was on the par 5 18th at Star Ranch needing a birdie to do so, or so I thought. I played aggressively on my second shot (very unlike my layup style on par 5's) with a poor result , 3 wood into a deep bunker 80 yards short of the green. Three strokes later I'm on the green then two putted for double.

Now comes the bad news. After adding up my score I realized how dumb a mistake I had made. My score was 81.

Back