Course length - How long is too long for you and your handicap

On typical courses 6500-6600 yards is where things start changing for me. I can still hang on some longer courses depending on where / how the yards happens.

I'll play whatever the rest of the group is playing, as long as it's within reason. Most of the courses we tend to play are around 6200-6600yds. Even though my HC dictates that I should play white tees, I normally tee it up on the Blues. I tend to drive around 230-240 which is just long enough to get me by on the blues. It's not the length that that bother's me, it the lack of accuracy that I have on FWW's and hybrids to reach the greens in regulations. I've been working on that as weather and time permits though.

6000 to 6200 is good with me, but at 54 with aches and pains, that is enough.

I'll play pretty much any length. I can shoot 84 from 7,400 just as easily as from 6,500...

like 6100-6200.
6400 is topped out

I would prefer to be somewhere between 6200-6500....unfortunately my new club is almost 6700 from the regular men's tees...and less than 6100 from the forward tees....wish they had a combo option.....on the blue tees you end up with a couple of very long par 4's and a 220+ yard par 3 and another 200+ par 3

The 220+ yard hole plays into the wind most of time and is heavily guarded by water and sand....no fun hitting 3W into a par 3 like that.

6200 - 6800 yards is good for me

I only hit my driver around 220-230 yards...so for me I like to play around 6,000 - 6,200 yards.

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk HD

Around 6000 is about it for me. I'm just not very long off the tee.

Currently I see a big drop off when I get over 6400. With how short I have been off the tee having multiple par 4s over 400 means I am hitting hybrid/7W into greens and that is not a good recipe for me.

I have seen some increases so hopefully I can stretch that out longer to 6500-6700 by the end of the summer.

Hard to say. Honestly I don't challenge myself enough by playing harder courses and long tees. Half the reason is the reason is those are the nearest courses. I would say 6600 is about right for me but in reality I could be playing 7000 and not have it be a huge deal. 450 yard hole is on a good day Driver 7i and on a bad day driver hybrid or 5 wood. So unless the course is like 7400 there shouldn't be any par 4's that I won't get on in 2 or expect to get on in 2.

6,000 - 6,200 is about it for me.

I struggle at 6400 - 6600. I play a lot of golf at around 6200 but this year I am going to try to stay in the 6000 yard range. I can compete there and it's really where I need to be to enjoy and get the most out of my game.

JM

I honestly have no idea. Longer holes/courses don't scare me. It's the slew of other talent limitations that keep my awful handicap where it is.

It really depends on the layout but when it approaches 6800 yards it gets tough for me to play. Especially tough when you sprinkle in part 3's over 210 or 220 yards.

I'm not a long hitter so I like to play 6,200 +/- 300. On most courses once I get over 6,500 my game begins to suffer and it becomes less enjoyable. When playing new courses I take a look at their par 3's, and if I can't hit it comfortably with my 7 wood I figure it's too long for me.

Golf is supposed to be a game of fun. :golf:

For me the white tees at most of the courses I play are 5800-6300. It starts to get me around 6300.

Course length - How long is too long for you and your handicap

Interesting question. Longest course I can remember playing was just over 7500 and I didn't think it was too long. It's actually just right up the road from where I live, I plan to play it again this summer...it's a great challenge. The other 3 guys complained throughout the round though, and I agree it was long, but it didn't bother me.

I like variety and pretty much all of them. Some more than others. Challenges change throughout the bag between lengths of courses and it keeps the mind going...I like it. Results...most of the time not so much.

I have stretched my game out lately so I'm up to about 6700 before I feel it starts to get away from me.

I'm a terrible (inconsistent) 4 handicap, but my driver is by far the strength of my game in terms of accuracy and I am a long hitter. I've never played a course I felt was long. I average around 315 off the tee, and for example hit an 8-iron 170. That's 485 right there, and that is way longer than most Par-4's I ever see

Last edited:
I've played courses that were around 6800 and they weren't too bad. It just depends on the length of the par 3's. I like par 3's to be 200 or less. Anything longer then its not really fun anymore

Sent from my SM-G928W8 using Tapatalk

I'm playing the red tees now until I improve from my lessons.When going gets bad I will tee off from the fairway.Im out there enjoying myself,so where ever I hit from shouldn't matter

I'm a terrible (inconsistent) 4 handicap, but my driver is by far the strength of my game am a long hitter. I've never played a course I felt was long. I average around 315 off the tee, and for example hit an 8-iron 170. That's 485 right there, and that is way longer than most Par-4's I ever see
Is this Tiger Woods?

Back