Titleist Vokey SM5 Wedges Preview Thread

I think so. The S is a really nice one in the lw and I've used it very well from the bunker too.

I just got these wedges last night. My brother got them for me at $85 a pop including tax straight from his Titliest rep at the course he works at. I got the 52,56, and 60 with the black finish. I took them out for my first 9 holes of the year this morning without a warm up. It was about 50 degrees and pretty windy.

First hole I pushed my approach shot about 20 yards right. Pin was on the right side so I had no green to work with. I pulled the 60, hit it high and landed it just past the pin. Greens are hard still so it rolled another 5-6 feet. Made the putt coming back to save par.

Second hole par 5 I chunked my 3rd shot and was just short of the green by about 5 yards. Had an uphill chip to the hole clear across a big green. Put it to within 5 feet and made the putt.

4th hole a tough par 3 with the green surrounded by trees. Hit the ball pin high but once again just to the right off the green. Chipped it in for birdie.

9th hole had a 75 yard shot with the wind blowing hard right to left. Pin was tucked back left corner. Any time I lay up on a par 5 I try to leave it 75 yards or so because thats a distance I feel strong at. I pulled my 52 and hit a low shot that held in the wind Stuck it to 5 feet.

My thoughts following my first round with these are that they feel a little lighter than my last 2 sets of wedges, but they don't feel light. The black finish is very nice, I used to always go with satin wedges but after using a black wedge last year I dont think I'll ever use anything else. I can't remember what grinds I went with but I spent a lot of time deciding which grinds to get. The turf interaction with these has been perfect whether it was from a pitch, chip, half, or full shot. I was getting great spin on my wedges even though the greens are still pretty hard. After an 8 month layoff I did not expect my short game to be that great but I would say it was just as good as I left off. It was very easy for me to control the trajectory with these. I was able to keep it down when I needed to just like on the 9th hole.

I used to have some Vokey wedges a few years ago and they were pretty good but after trying a couple others over the last 2 years I didnt plan on going back to Titleist. I only went with them to save some money but I am glad I did because they give me similar performance to what I was seeing with my J40's last year.

What grinds Bradd?

I will have to update later with my grinds. I just looked on my phone for my text I had sent my brother when I ordered them but I can't find it. I'll have to look at the wedges when I get off work to see.

Ran out to my car real quick to double check: 52 is F Grind, 56 and 60 are both M grind. I kind of have a neutral swing, I take a very small divot but not enough to be considered a slider or a digger.

Right on dude. Sounds like a great first outing!

Just got these in the mail today...50F, 54F, and 58K...with GD S300 Senicore shafts.

20140410_152337_zpsj1tt0y2z.jpg

20140410_152510_zpsy376xc37.jpg

20140410_152544_zpsvwua0pa5.jpg

20140410_152559_zpsbp7a0jzh.jpg

20140410_152615_zpsbly7tvcl.jpg

Lookin good! Don't you always hate to get those shiny new wedges dirty?

bobgeorge, those look great, thanks for the pics!!:cool:

bobgeorge, good looking set.

Played my first round today with the SM5s. All three are excellent with 3/4 and 1/2 swings from the fairway or rough. The F grind in the 50 and 54 work good for me because they assist me in not digging so much and let me swing through the shot. The 58K was very easy to use around the green and on the one bunker shot I had.

Part of my lesson today was short game. Specifically how to hit a flop shot with my 58M grind. This has been a shot that has terrified me in the past. After some set up tweaks the M grind was working flawlessly. I hit flop shot after flop shot and was hitting my spots.

I know it's one thing to hit these types of touch shots during a round as opposed to the practice area, but I came away with confidence I've never had.

Hit these for the first time yesterday and am madly impressed. Found a tremendous improvement over the SM4's

Hit these for the first time yesterday and am madly impressed. Found a tremendous improvement over the SM4's

I agree. By far the best Vokeys I have ever hit. I was never a fan and never put them in the bag until this season. The finishes and the grinds caught my attention then once I hit them I was amazed.

I agree. By far the best Vokeys I have ever hit. I was never a fan and never put them in the bag until this season. The finishes and the grinds caught my attention then once I hit them I was amazed.

I really love everything about them.

Embrace the rust!

I won a 60.07 s grind in a tournament yesterday. Played today with it and these have to be the best club ever made! The feel and softness are just mind blowing. Im a big wedge ho and was in love with my md2's and thought it couldn't get and better. WRONG! I'll be at the store tomorrow to fill out my set.

Capitalism: God's way of determining who is smart and who is poor!

I won a 60.07 s grind in a tournament yesterday. Played today with it and these have to be the best club ever made! The feel and softness are just mind blowing. Im a big wedge ho and was in love with my md2's and thought it couldn't get and better. WRONG! I'll be at the store tomorrow to fill out my set.

Capitalism: God's way of determining who is smart and who is poor!

I agree they feel very nice. Always an interesting tidbit with the forged/cast debate.

I agree they feel very nice. Always an interesting tidbit with the forged/cast debate.

I hit them head to head at golfsmith with md2s and granted I am not one who notices or cares about the forged cast thing but I thought they felt fairly similar. Both felt good on well struck balls

I just got my 55° and 60° SM5 wedges yesterday and took them to the range for a little get-to-know-you session. These things spin a ton even with crappy range balls. The 60° K grind is so easy to hit all the types of shots I play. I haven't hit them out of the sand yet but I'll get to that as soon as we have a dry day around here. I love the gold nickel finish too.

I just got my 55° and 60° SM5 wedges yesterday and took them to the range for a little get-to-know-you session. These things spin a ton even with crappy range balls. The 60° K grind is so easy to hit all the types of shots I play. I haven't hit them out of the sand yet but I'll get to that as soon as we have a dry day around here. I love the gold nickel finish too.

would be interested what you think of the K grind out of the sand

would be interested what you think of the K grind out of the sand

I just played 9 holes this afternoon and I didn't have an opportunity to hit any sand shots. I was going to hit he short game practice area but the course was wide open so I decided to just play instead. Next time I go to the course I'll practice with them because I learned today that I need to get used to them a little more.

War Eagle from my iPad

These will get another good workout over the weekend before I wrap up the review.

cgn, what are you looking for out of the K grind? Do you normally experience digging in the bunker or are you pretty shallow there too?

So my lesson last week was short game and working on shots around the green. Having never been able to hit a flip shot the 58/M has solved that for me. Once my set up was corrected I was hitting flops with consistency & the M grind helped build the confidence.

The more I play with these the more I'm liking the results. The 54 has turned into a go to club inside if 80yds. I've never had that kind of versatility out if one wedge.

Back