Would you join Augusta?

I don't think I would and it has nothing to do with membership restrictions. I don't think I would have a whole lot in common with 95% of the people in there. Don't get me wrong, it would be awesome to play the course, but belonging to a club is about the social aspect as well. My perception of Augusta, right or wrong, is that it is full of old, white, rich guys (no offense to old, white, rich guys) and I don't think it would be that much fun hanging out or playing different formats.

Find me a club with some diversity and demographics that more fit where I am at in my life and I'll be all over it.

I'd join in a heartbeat, but something tell's me I'd be asked to leave just about as quickly, lol.

Absolutely would join in a heartbeat - just to say you have played even once a championship-caliber course, let alone be a member at one is something truly special.

Also, if you could afford to join it, I am pretty sure it wouldn't be the only club you are a member of - so the 4 months a year you can play it wouldn't be a problem since I would just hop in my private jet and go there for a few hrs, play 18, and go back to my mansion.

The biggest problem here is that we are all about $500 million in net worth short of making it.............

The biggest problem here is that we are all about $500 million in net worth short of making it.............

As someone noted, the perception is that Augusta members are old, white, rich guys. Well, I'm old and I'm white, so I got as far as two out of three. Yea, its tough being born handsome instead of rich.

I don't think I would and it has nothing to do with membership restrictions. I don't think I would have a whole lot in common with 95% of the people in there. Don't get me wrong, it would be awesome to play the course, but belonging to a club is about the social aspect as well. My perception of Augusta, right or wrong, is that it is full of old, white, rich guys (no offense to old, white, rich guys) and I don't think it would be that much fun hanging out or playing different formats.

Find me a club with some diversity and demographics that more fit where I am at in my life and I'll be all over it.

This is closer to where I'm at. I'd literally have to go clothes shopping even to accept an invitation to a place like that - at the moment I don't even own a casual sports coat. Membership policies and young or old don't matter - it's the base requirements for simply walking into the clubhouse that would leave me out. I'm just not that type, and I don't feel comfortable chumming around with that type of people. And it's not only Augusta National - there are dozens of such clubs and I'd feel equally uncomfortable at any of them. Hell, I feel like a left foot even when guesting at a far more casual country club. Clubs just aren't my thing.

I can't remember where I read it. But someone from one of those golf magazines was pushing for Augusta to host the 2018(?) Women's US Open. That would be interesting. It certainly wouldn't be a traditional US Open setup, but it would be fun to watch.

I wonder how the scheduling would go. Doesn't Augusta close due to high temps at some point in May or June?

Sent from my Nexus 5 using Tapatalk

I wonder how the scheduling would go. Doesn't Augusta close due to high temps at some point in May or June?

I would think they would bump it up in the schedule say to early May? I think its a pipe dream anyway

I would think they would bump it up in the schedule say to early May? I think its a pipe dream anyway

It would be pretty cool to have it within a month of the Masters or something. I know that would run close to the Kraft, but would be cool to see.

I think those of us in the "no" column might have come off wrong. I have zero problems with a private club doing what they wish. That is certainly their right. I also don't assume that all of the members are bigoted/sexist people. I am sure that the majority of their members are fantastic people but it just isn't an atmosphere for me. However, I will say that the Curves and Girl Scouts comparisons are pretty ridiculous.

It still blows my mind that one of the current members comes and watches our girls soccer team most weeks. Closest I'll get to being a member! Ha!

I'd join in a heart beat. If that offends you then oh well.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

I'd join in a heart beat. If that offends you then oh well.

Where is the idea coming from that joining would offend people?

Where is the idea coming from that joining would offend people?

Because they still discriminate. I mean they just accepted women last year.

No I wouldn't join for many of the reasons stated but mainly I'm a blue collar guy. Self taught and maintain a single digit hdcp. I didn't grow up with a lot of money and everything I have I've earned. Most of those members were born with a silver spoon and never had to want.

It almost almost bothers me that people want to be "antisnops" about Augusta. So many of the people who are recognized members are very famous people who would like the reprieve from most of us. Think about the TMZ media. This is a kinda like a full time place to have your mens night out that around people who might not always have the most popular opinions can go without having to worry about about being bothered. I would love a chance to be a member but I dont know that I would be able to even if i could afford because of its location and there are better locations for me because of georgraphy and where i would want to live.

I would join. Obviously if you are selected to become a member than the cost is not likely to be an issue. As far as issues surrounding discrimination I guess I'm not to concerned. As a private club they get to set there own rules. I'd love to have to opportunity to join one of the most prestigious golf clubs (if not the most) in the world.

Sent from my SAMSUNG-SGH-I337 using Tapatalk

if they are offering and I can afford it, heck yeah I join.....you really cant change anything from the outside looking in.

I wouldn't belong to any club that would have me as a member. :act-up:

Last edited:
I would not join for the same reasons that I would not join the local country clubs around here. I'm just not comfortable in fancy places like that. It's probably all in my head, but every time I play any kind of private club, I feel like all of the members are looking at me like "how did that guy get in here?"

If I had the money and I was invited? Hell yeah I'd join. I don't agree with a lot of the things they do, but for this course I'd make an exception for sure. Same goes for Pine Valley.

Without an instance of hesitation. I would be all over that club like white on rice in a glass of milk on a paper plate in a snow storm.

Would you join Augusta?

Yes, I would join.

If for some reason, I wouldn't enjoy it, I'd rather be known as the guy who left Augusta, than the guy who passed altogether.

I'm pretty sure I would like it though. The money shouldn't be an issue if an invitation would be sent to me, I suspect I would have made enough money at that point.

I understand you guys saying no...but as long as we are hypothetical...

A question for all you who would say no...

Would you say no to joining after winning the Masters and an invite would be given? Would the green jacket be left on a chair after the ceremony?

I would join. Who doesn't like a "sausage-fest" ;)

All kidding aside, It's a no brainer. Access to one of the Top 5 Golf Courses in the world.

If money was no object then yes I would join it in a second.

Back