ever get stuck failing after switching clubs at the range

rollin

"Just playin golf pally"
Reaction score
Handicap
I would assume this doesn't just happen to me. At least I hope not..lol

So...at the range and hitting balls just fine. What I normally do is work my way through my clubs from short to long. And then go random. Many times I may be hitting fine and switch to next iron, and then a next and all is swell. But then all a sudden you grab the next one and your stuck. The swing goes south. (or perhaps for those who live in the south maybe you say north..lol) anyway you get stuck and cant make the same good strikes you just made. Sometimes I go back to the one before or skip to the one head and am ok again. But then grab that same club once more and its goes south again.

Sometimes this can happen as you switch from one type of club to another like switching from an iron to a hybrid, or from a wood to an iron, etc, etc. This actually happened today where I hit everything very well except my hybrids. But this I can somewhat understand but its not always a switch in club types and can often be just a certain number club of the same type. Like your hitting all irons well but cant hit the darn 6 iron perhaps. Hit the 8 the 7 and the 5 but the 6 (lying in between) is just not cooperating today at the range. Go back to the 5 and the 7 and all is fine again but then grab the 6 again and it just doesn't happen.

Is this just the weirdest thing? or what? Do you get stuck on a certain club? how/why does this happen? Its not something real frustrating but its just so strange sometimes that this can happen. Am I the only nutzy cookoo that may experience this? An uncooperative club that doesn't want to play with you at that moment. The next day of course its fine but perhaps another one is then not going to cooperate. Ya just never know.

Yes, and I will pull out a tee and try to work it out if going back and forth between clubs doesn't work.

I always reset and go back to my pitching wedge to get my rhythm and tempo back. Usually works for me!

I always reset and go back to my pitching wedge to get my rhythm and tempo back. Usually works for me!

Great advise Mike. Tempo is king.

Sure, it happens to me. But it's usually because I have deviated from my plan and purpose for being on the range. When I have a plan and purpose, not just pounding balls, wedge through driver, the session rarely goes south. But when I have tried to be a driving range professional, that's when trouble happens. I have left many buckets and bags half empty because I just walked off the range.

Ive done this too at times. It may not be my pw but could be the 9 or whatever club I may have recently come from. And it does often work but like anything its not fool proof. Still imo strange how it happens.

I will usually change to more half wedges and 100y and in shots to regain some confidence and then go back

the thing is you are going to make bad swings you cant let that derail every swing.. i love going random and doing my pre-shot routine, one club one ball and one target just like the course. if its not the result you want thats ok take a different club focus on your target.

i have had sessions before where i am more focused on positions then picking a target and making a smooth swing. this is no good

Happens for sure, I'm a go back to my gap wedge or pitching wedge guy. For me it always seems to be tempo

Sent from my SM-G920V using Tapatalk

Yes, when this happens, I usually go back to some minor fundamental drills as the tempo is usually off all of the sudden. My "go to" drill is putting my feet together and hitting a few shots so that I don't fall off and have to move my feet....you can't over swing without falling over, with your feet together.

Back