Is A Driver An Emotional Purchase?

JB

Follow @THPGolf on Social Media
Albatross 2024 Club
Staff member
Reaction score
I have maintained that purchases that are luxury items with pure enjoyment in mind are normally emotional purchases. Whether that be brand loyalty, warm and fuzzy feelings at the look of the headcover or something else. What do you think?

I have maintained that purchases that are luxury items with pure enjoyment in mind are normally emotional purchases. Whether that be brand loyalty, warm and fuzzy feelings at the look of the headcover or something else. What do you think?

I've felt that way about most of my purchases related to golf. I think I feel the most excitement about putters, but I've definitely felt some joy about just about all of my club purchases.

I agree. I tend to be a guy who likes to stick with a few select brands (for better or for worse) and I don't really have any good reason for it other than it warms the cockles of my heart to play certain things.

I think brand loyalty has a lot to do with what people purchase. I will admit to being a PING homer, but recently I've branched out to Mizuno to try out their blades lol

Yes 100% I also think it is ego driven as well. At least for me it is I want that magical driver that can hit the ball a long way even though I know it is not always the best play for me

I think that everything in golf is an emotional purchase. Perhaps driver has more emotion behind it because it is usually the most expensive purchase in one's bag, except for putters in some cases.

I think it depends on the person. For me yeah it is an emotional purchase but I could say that about all my clubs since I've never been fit.

Nope, I just begrudgingly purchased a udesign GBB because I had to.....hahaha..I don't remember ever being this excited to get a new club.

For me personally the answer is no. I am going to play whatever I feel helps me shoot the lowest score. I don't get overly excited about equipment as far as brand loyalty goes or being a club ho. Clubs are simply tools. Enjoyment comes from becoming better at the craft IMO.

Agree... I know this thread is about drivers but I think the idea can be applied across all golf gear. I preordered the new 716 AP2 and literally can't stop thinking about them. I have looked at them on Titleists website like every 5 minutes for the past few days... Haha

Last edited:
I was going to say no but now that I think about it, yes it is. There is a sense of pride and a little bit of a smile when you pull it out. Now that feeling wears off as it starts to blend into just being a tool in the box. If it gets dropped, dented or chipped I get upset that tells me that it's an emotional purchase.

Yes. Yes and Yes. If I bought a driver based on say practicality instead of emotions, I would not have ordered an M1 to replace my 815.

I totally agree. Drivers are luxury items and are very emotional purchases. A new driver or putter makes me happy, which is why I buy at least a few putters and a driver or two every year! It's like shoes or purses for women.:act-up:

I'd say the driver brings just as much excitement as any other golf club purchase I make. I buy it because I either know or think I know it will improve my performance on the course and am excited to see that improvement.

Yes. For me when I saw my driver, it was love at first sight. When I swung her, I was emotionally in love with her.

I suppose there is a lot of emotion involved in a driver purchase. But, I love demoing clubs and when in the market for a new driver, will try to hit as many as I can, compare numbers and narrow the field. I'll admit, though, that if it gets down to a couple that very close, the final selection is purely emotional.

I'm not overly wealthy, so I buy when the budget allows, so every golf purchase is pure enjoyment for me. I'm brand loyal for various reasons and it is always a thrill to get something brand new in my hands to at least demo it. This has been a great year for me as far as purchasing goes. I've spent a lot this year and everything has worked out really well, although the Mini 1.5 sits and waits, and the new GBB driver is possible to make the bag, but I doubt it now that our season is nearly over with. Money now has to into shop supplies as I have several putter refinish projects waiting.

Nah it's not emotional......i remove the emotion by making it an impulse buy :)

I may be the black sheep here but I don't buy any golf equipment based on emotion. I don't have the money to spend on buying different clubs all the time. I try to find something that works and play it for as long as possible. In the 8 years I have been playing golf I have bought only 2 new driver's and 1 used driver. I only purchased a different driver because my swing got better and I was looking for a club that would fit that better. Every golf purchase involving clubs is a thought out purchase for me. Money is to important to blow on golf clubs.

Not really, for me. It used to be for me though. Thinking back to my Covert Tour days. But not anymore. I view the driver as a tool to get the ball as far down the hole as possible.

I would say yes. I have loved my Cobra Bio Cell driver yet still bought a Great Big Bertha based on two reasons: great reviews on this forum but even more influential was the nostalgia of my first "real" driver back in the day, the original GBB. If it weren't for the emotional attachment from years ago there's a good chance I wouldn't have switched drivers this year.

Guilty. I bought my current bio cell because I was improving and needed more launch. Can't say I was looking to replace it until I got the invite to #staffproto. I'm so frickin excited that now I'm thinking of buying the D200 driver and woods to match my new irons I'm getting in Chicago next week. That's not emotional is it??

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk

Absolutely yes......and hoping that the performance is there to justify it.

Back