4 season winter transition golfing

GoldenBuff

slow horse
Albatross 2024 Club
Reaction score
Handicap
Fellow mother nature warriors:

41 F, light rain, and wind this morning. Forecast high is 48. I am going to have to toughen up and gear up to keep playing as summer gives way to winter. What do you guys wear or do to play in these conditions? I have things to wear like a full Gortex mountaineering shell or nordic skiing tights that don't seem to translate well to golfing. Umbrella on SM micro push cart is nice but I need bungie or something to keep it in place in higher winds. Do you use lower compression golf balls? I am crazy hooked on this game, and mother nature is going to have give me some body slams before I stop playing for the season.

Note: I am sitting at my computer this morning and not playing, so wimpy mtcowdog is winning so far today.

I have a pretty nice fleece jacket that still allows good movement and doesn't restrict my swing that I'll wear. I'll also put on a winter hat and under armor cold gear when it dips down into the 40's around here. I do use lower compression golf balls as well, and even if it doesn't do anything, it makes me feel better haha.

Even though it kinda sucks to golf in colder weather, it usually means a pretty empty course...so it's not that bad haha

I don't wear compression at all. I feel it restricts my movement too much. I'll wear multiple layers and a wind jacket with a winter hat. Long Johns and pants, maybe hand warmers or gloves between shots. If i still get cold doing all this, it's too cold for me.

Definitely lower compression balls, probably chrome soft is my direction.

Oh, and I'll only accept 1 of the following: below 50, windy, cloud cover. If there's 2, I'm likely out.

Fellow mother nature warriors:

41 F, light rain, and wind this morning. Forecast high is 48. I am going to have to toughen up and gear up to keep playing as summer gives way to winter. What do you guys wear or do to play in these conditions? I have things to wear like a full Gortex mountaineering shell or nordic skiing tights that don't seem to translate well to golfing. Umbrella on SM micro push cart is nice but I need bungie or something to keep it in place in higher winds. Do you use lower compression golf balls? I am crazy hooked on this game, and mother nature is going to have give me some body slams before I stop playing for the season.

Note: I am sitting at my computer this morning and not playing, so wimpy mtcowdog is winning so far today.

Biggest thing for me last year was hot hands. I bought a ton of them and used one big one or two small ones every single time I played. It is astounding how much more enjoyable the game is when you have them at the ready in cooler temperatures. Aside from that, the right kind of layers, appropriate wind cutting clothing, and some decent mittens.

I stay home when it is under 60/55 degrees........

Compresion pants and rather than golf pants I wear some heavier khakis. Compression shirt from Bauer tee shirt and a wind resistant pull over. Toque if needed and mitts for in between shots. Keeping my hands warm is a must.

of course the shorts stay home and its long pants like docker khaki's loose and comfy. On top half I just wing it with whatever is thin and snug fitting underneath but then loose fitting outer layer. Cold temps don't bother me but its the wind that can make the biggest difference.
40* imo is not really a problem for me but when its windy its just not fun. But I hate windy days even in nice weather.

Winter golf around here means slacks and a pretty cool THP 1/4 zip. That's not to say we don't have freezing temperatures but it's nothing like winter in the majority of the country.
From my .mil days I learned that layering was the key and wind chill is no joke. So on those 40ish degree windy days I break out my Under Armor cold gear top as a base layer. Otherwise, I can get away with slacks and a polo under a windshirt. The bulk of the body's heat is lost from the top of your head so a warm hat is important. Here a UA skullcap is sufficient but YMMV. I also wear rain gloves so my off hand also stays warmer. I have a rainsuit but I don't intend on using it. With as many nice days as we have there's really no reason to get wet.
As far as equipment goes a low compression ball such as W/S Duo or Cally SuperSoft works well. Oh, and my blades are put away till warmer weather returns. Thinned shots and cold hands score very low on the fun scale.

Sent from my A700 using Tapatalk

Under armour cold gear or an oakley winter compression shirt. Depending on the level of coldness I have a UA storm jacket for the colder/windier days. On the 50ish days i have some THP Puma 1/4 zips and some others as well to put over the UA cold gear.

keeping hands warm is key so i use FJ winter gloves and when necessary hand warmers in the pockets.

Thanks for the ideas. I do well in dry cold, but wet cold is hard and with wind brutal for me. I am also more used to aerobic winter activities. Golf is very different.

Thanks for the ideas. I do well in dry cold, but wet cold is hard and with wind brutal for me. I am also more used to aerobic winter activities. Golf is very different.

The absolute best winter golf attire for me is my running clothes - Compression tights (Under Armor, Adidas or Brooks), Running pants (Brooks are my preferred brand and they are mainly for the wind), Under Armor Compression Mock Shirt, long sleeve t-shirt, 1/4 pullover followed by my running jacket. I also wear a running skull cap and wear either my FootJoy Weather Gloves or Footjoy Rain Gloves. I also walk and am very comfy when the weather is above 32 deg. If I get too warm, I take off a layer.

Tee shirt under fleece under rain jacket. Dickies brand heavy khakis with a flannel liner. Long underwear if needed. Wool socks. Skull cap or balaclava. Thinner winter gloves. Big hot chocolate to start round, big hot chocolate at turn, big hot chocolate at the 19th hole.

Back