Cleveland 588 Fairway Woods Review

I hit the 14 today at a Demo Day. It looks, sounds, and feels just like the 15.5; and IMO, no harder to launch from the deck (mats). There was no launch monitor there today, so it was impossible to tell what the difference in distance would've been, but a success anyway I say.

What you expected from the tee too?

Anybody that has this or hit this ever hit the Launcher FL? Mainly curious if they set up similarly. To me, they look pretty close.

Hoping it doesn't reason to much this week hawk so I can get some golf in with you then you can try this guy out. Gotta say when I need to be in a tight fairway this is the guy to hit.

I almost bought one last night, but showed some restraint.

Haha would have been a good buy. Would you look to get the 14° or the 15°?
I almost bought one last night, but showed some restraint.

I was actually looking at the 18°. The extra loft is generally a good thing for me and I'm not expecting to lose much in the way of distance over a 3W.

Oh ok, so this would be more of a long club off the fairway instead of a mini driver. Say from my x2hot 5 wood to my 588 3 wood I would say there is any where from 15-30 yard difference.
I was actually looking at the 18°. The extra loft is generally a good thing for me and I'm not expecting to lose much in the way of distance over a 3W.

Well, I'd use it off the tee too if I needed to. That's a pretty large gap. I think I'd expect about 10-15 yards difference for me, with a bit more consistency, which is probably number one on my priority list with a fairway wood.

good call, I love the 18*, but I can't stop pondering a 15.5* too

Well, I'd use it off the tee too if I needed to. That's a pretty large gap. I think I'd expect about 10-15 yards difference for me, with a bit more consistency, which is probably number one on my priority list with a fairway wood.

Really depends with my 5 wood. Usually I hit it 185 190 but have seen it over 200. Now the 3 wood I have hit bombs out to 220 230. Could really tell that when playing with parshooter36 and I was hitting it as far as his driver.

Nate plus this 3w is deadly. My great drives were still 15 yards behind his 3 wood shots.

Ha, thanks Cookie. I'm really liking the 15.5. My misses don't kill me and still puts me somewhere around or near the fairway. When I put a good swing on it and connect it's a great feeling club. Fairways are important to me come July (Morgan Cup) and this will help out with that for sure.

Ha, thanks Cookie. I'm really liking the 15.5. My misses don't kill me and still puts me somewhere around or near the fairway. When I put a good swing on it and connect it's a great feeling club. Fairways are important to me come July (Morgan Cup) and this will help out with that for sure.

I'm with you there Nate. If I have a bad swing with the 15.5 Iam just off the fairway. Just can't go wrong with this guy, unless you try to swing fast and hit the heel and it doesn't past the ladies tees lol. That hasn't happened to me :eek:

You hit the FW I'll swing for the fences

I'm with you there Nate. If I have a bad swing with the 15.5 Iam just off the fairway. Just can't go wrong with this guy, unless you try to swing fast and hit the heel and it doesn't past the ladies tees lol. That hasn't happened to me :eek:

In theory of course! I could see that. Ha. On a side note, I'm really enjoying the 20.5 degree 588 hybrid too. Another club that is great off the tee when called upon and great off the deck. Really liking the 588 FW/hybrid line this year from Cleveland Golf.

In theory of course! I could see that. Ha. On a side note, I'm really enjoying the 20.5 degree 588 hybrid too. Another club that is great off the tee when called upon and great off the deck. Really liking the 588 FW/hybrid line this year from Cleveland Golf.

Yea I don't have a 588 hybrid yet but love the mashies I got. Tried the 588's at the demo day and they were a tad longer but still great. But yeah that three wood I can see being used alot in myrtle beach.

You hit the FW I'll swing for the fences

If it's like year's past, which it seemed to be over the weekend, I typically hit the driver just as straight as a fairway wood. Win/win!

If it's like year's past, which it seemed to be over the weekend, I typically hit the driver just as straight as a fairway wood. Win/win!

Works for me, we can just leave the wrappers on them at staff sponsor day lol

Im going to at some point his these darn things, if its half as awesome as the 588 hybo im SOLD

Yea I don't have a 588 hybrid yet but love the mashies I got. Tried the 588's at the demo day and they were a tad longer but still great. But yeah that three wood I can see being used alot in myrtle beach.

I never got along with the mashie of old for whatever reason. So was pleasantly surprised after my first few rounds with the 588 was very successful. Barring and new lines of something, it's going to be either the 14 or 15.5 degree FW and the 20.5 degree hybrid for sure.

I never got along with the mashie of old for whatever reason. So was pleasantly surprised after my first few rounds with the 588 was very successful. Barring and new lines of something, it's going to be either the 14 or 15.5 degree FW and the 20.5 degree hybrid for sure.

I just use the 15.5 off the tee box so I wonder what kind of damage the 14 could do with me.

I just use the 15.5 off the tee box so I wonder what kind of damage the 14 could do with me.

Only one way to find out (if you can get your hands on one?!). I'm going to do my 15.5 vs 14 FW test this next weekend. Going to head out to my club one evening, mark 5-7 balls for the 14 degree and 5-7 for the 15.5 and really compare the accuracy and distance between the two to come up with some conclusions. If there is something else you want me to try just let me know.

Only one way to find out (if you can get your hands on one?!). I'm going to do my 15.5 vs 14 FW test this next weekend. Going to head out to my club one evening, mark 5-7 balls for the 14 degree and 5-7 for the 15.5 and really compare the accuracy and distance between the two to come up with some conclusions. If there is something else you want me to try just let me know.

Just need to see what kind distance differences there is and see if the 14 is just as accurate.

Just need to see what kind distance differences there is and see if the 14 is just as accurate.

I actually might add into the mix my current driver and compare the 14 degree to the driver. 3 way test!

Nice man!! Hey you couldn't try some comparrison's with QStar and Zstar with this test could you? I am still battling which ball I need. I am swaying towards the Zstars because there awesome around the green.
I actually might add into the mix my current driver and compare the 14 degree to the driver. 3 way test!

Nice man!! Hey you couldn't try some comparrison's with QStar and Zstar with this test could you? I am still battling which ball I need. I am swaying towards the Zstars because there awesome around the green.
They are running a killer special on those Q Stars right now, 2 dozen for like $45. Just everything I've read leads me in the direction of the Z Star for my game. I'll see if I can get some of the Q's and let you know. Might be a test you could do on your end to see what the results are for you??!!

They are running a killer special on those Q Stars right now, 2 dozen for like $45. Just everything I've read leads me in the direction of the Z Star for my game. I'll see if I can get some of the Q's and let you know. Might be a test you could do on your end to see what the results are for you??!!

I know man. But just wondering what the difference would be with the 14 probably the same. Really appreciate this Big Time!!!

What you expected from the tee too?
It was at a demo day, with mats and rubber tees. I just hit it off the deck, if I were to tee it up as high as the rubber tees it would be pop-up city.

On grass, I do tee it up, but low enough that you wouldn't know it was on the tee. It sits either flush, or just above the turf, so I wouldn't expect it to be much different than hitting it from the deck like I did yesterday.

Last edited:
Back