Mizuno MP-5 - THP Review Thread

I will always be a sucker for the smooth lines of a blade

Beautiful! Mizuno really knows how to produce a gorgeous iron.

I showed restraint and didn't jump right to the pictures. So when you were describing how material was moved to improve forgiveness I was thinking a variation of the "cut muscle" on my 67's (or your 32's). This has a much more refined look. I am looking forward to hearing your thoughts after you have spent some range time with these beauties.

I wasn't ever a channel back guy but having swung these and fondled them a bit they are surprisingly beautiful and easy to hit.

There is a simplistic beauty to these irons that just screams smooth.

Sent from my SAMSUNG-SM-G870A using Tapatalk

I mean good lord. These are just unbelievably gorgeous. Want to hit for sure. Won't ever be able to game, but want to hit.

Sent from my SM-G920P using Tapatalk

Hit these over the weekend and oy ve! They feel amazing. Not as hard to hit as people think and worth your time to test out if you want to feel like what golfing heaven feels like.

There is something so generally crisp about hitting a Mizuno muscleback. I have read plenty about grain flow forged, and it's obviously something they believe strongly in.... but I would encourage them to retain their build for sound alone. More on this in a second..

I'll admit I had a bit of intimidation when first handling them. They are designed for strong golfers with excellent contact, and that left me humbled that I may not do them the justice they deserve in a detailed review. After a few swings to get used to them on Thursday night, that feeling was replaced with excitement to really take them on course and see how well they performed over the course of a round.

The 'pow' moment came on the 3rd hole. I'd already hit a 9 pin high and hit a thick PW short left so I had pretty good idea where my bottom was, and focused on hitting the ball fairly clean (teed up, par 3). The result was center face contact, and a flight that rose perfectly as it approached the targeted area. Sound wise, I had comments from all three of my playing partners that my contact provided excellent audible feedback. While some of the more forgiving irons designs with creative material usage tend to clink or sound muted/dead for me, the MP-5 irons sound genuinely crisp and flush.... But it's all about personal preference with regards to what sounds 'right' for each of us. Knowing that I played Mizuno irons for probably six or seven years of my golf playing career, I'd say I've got a soft spot for their feedback.

In the hands, I get a really nice response through the contact vibrations to suggest strike quality. As anyone would expect, these irons don't leave you guessing whether you hit it fat/center/thin/toe/heel. Despite that sentiment, I found today that lateral misses within a half ball length from center still generate great distance numbers and no major lateral errors. In fact, I was shocked to see a 190 yard five iron with contact inside center, and feedback suggesting great contact. Adversely, I struck a 4 iron well out on the toe side of center (still on the grooved area) later in the round and found much of the same, but maybe with a slight reduction in distance.

My biggest concern right now is how the iron carves through the turf. I find it incredibly easy to drive the head into the ground, leaving very little room for error. For those who play a lot of golf on softer ground, I could see this being a problem if there is a bit of swing variation.

Oddly enough, the club I've struggled with the most in this set is the PW. I'm sure I'll iron it out, but the results have been shorter than i would expect for some reason. I'll keep an eye on that.

This is where you are encouraged to hit the MP-5 irons.

f30eec9080053467d6cef86c41b20bcf.jpg

This is where you can miss without getting smacked with distance loss.

71faac630d3c88b6c9a7d94cb2b52abc.jpg

...and for the record, that last one, the contact felt awesome.

I spent a couple hours hitting these yesterday. I absolutely love them. And the ability to move the ball around at will. Gear effect shows up rather well if you get a little on the toe.

I like how the muscle is more pronounced than a few other MBs, and I absolutely love the shiny chrome.

I'll be following along Canadan.

Love the thoughts, Dan. I am a sucker for blades, even though i know they are generally too much club for me, and these are just dead sexy.

Check the loft on that pw Dan. We all know how easily these bend and I always question factory tolerances

I spent a couple hours hitting these yesterday. I absolutely love them. And the ability to move the ball around at will. Gear effect shows up rather well if you get a little on the toe.

I like how the muscle is more pronounced than a few other MBs, and I absolutely love the shiny chrome.

I'll be following along Canadan.

I am right there with you on these. They were absolutely fantastic irons. Feel/sound, looks, performance, control...it was all there for me.

Visually I prefer them to the MP-4, though I couldn't tell much difference between them otherwise. But honestly, with this type of iron, I didn't really expect much difference. Swing was pretty consistent at the store, so didn't test much off center hits, but you can really put a move on these.

and man...they sure are pretty

I played the s55 this last season, 714 ap2 the season before, dabbled with mp4's for a bit...

do you guys find the mp5 just as forgiving as the s55 and ap2? I compared the size of the mp5, 716ap2 and 716 cb and they all look practically the same size.

I played the s55 this last season, 714 ap2 the season before, dabbled with mp4's for a bit...

do you guys find the mp5 just as forgiving as the s55 and ap2? I compared the size of the mp5, 716ap2 and 716 cb and they all look practically the same size.
I can't see how the mp5 will be as "forgiving" as those. I mean the design and weighting suggest otherwise as far as ball speed retention goes. What I do believe is that the mp5 is extremely playable if you are a decent to good ball striker.

Oh have I said how pretty these are?

They may look the same size, but this first two have a lot more mass moved around to the perimeter to increase the playability. They're all players style irons but IMO these are still a lot MB and not CB like the ap2 and s55.

I want to hit these
This is where you are encouraged to hit the MP-5 irons.

f30eec9080053467d6cef86c41b20bcf.jpg

This is where you can miss without getting smacked with distance loss.

71faac630d3c88b6c9a7d94cb2b52abc.jpg

...and for the record, that last one, the contact felt awesome.

I can't see how the mp5 will be as "forgiving" as those. I mean the design and weighting suggest otherwise as far as ball speed retention goes. What I do believe is that the mp5 is extremely playable if you are a decent to good ball striker.

Oh have I said how pretty these are?

Played the MP4 with ctapers for a bit. Hit them well. Iron play is one of my strong areas of my game. Play to just above scratch. If the putting and short game where a touch better I would be under scratch...

I hit these up against the Titleist 716MB they definitely do perform. Both were 7 irons and carrying within 5 yards of each other. It's a fantastic blade option out there. As it has been said IT'S A BLADE! These aren't built to be forgiving IMO. They are for maximum shot control. It's a great option now I have a 3rd on my list. Usually comes down to looks for me in the irons though. This one is right up there with the 945s for my eye.

I hit these up against the Titleist 716MB they definitely do perform. Both were 7 irons and carrying within 5 yards of each other. It's a fantastic blade option out there. As it has been said IT'S A BLADE! These aren't built to be forgiving IMO. They are for maximum shot control. It's a great option now I have a 3rd on my list. Usually comes down to looks for me in the irons though. This one is right up there with the 945s for my eye.
I rate these just behind the 945 in the looks department. Between these, 945, and the 716 mb they are right up there with each other in looks.

I rate these just behind the 945 in the looks department. Between these, 945, and the 716 mb they are right up there with each other in looks.

Yes I agree 100%

I just spent a while with the 6 iron at the range. swapping shafts to get a sense of which felt best. I absolutely love the feel of these. For a blade they seem very easy to hit. For me these are at the top of the ponder list. Such a beuatiful
iron.

I enjoyed the hell out of these when I used them out of Dan's bag this past weekend, and hit them pretty well.

They are definitely WAY above my pay grade though, IMO.

I enjoyed the hell out of these when I used them out of Dan's bag this past weekend, and hit them pretty well.

They are definitely WAY above my pay grade though, IMO.
I thought the same thing, but each time I grab them out of the fitting cart I just love the feel. I went with a CTaper and a project X today. Buttery feeling.

I thought the same thing, but each time I grab them out of the fitting cart I just love the feel. I went with a CTaper and a project X today. Buttery feeling.

Oh I enjoyed the feel as well, on pure shots. I just don't do that enough hahahaha

Back