Sky Marks, Who Cares?

they suck but they happen. it irritates me when i do it but then again if i didn't put a bad swing on it then it wouldn't have happened.

i too believe in the if you sky it you buy it mentality when others hit my club. it has been that way with any sport i play, i don't care if you use my gear but if you break it you bought it.

Yep, it bothers me. And also a reason why I tend to tape the topline of a new club....you know....just in case.

They don't bother me at all. I played them before and I focus so much on the ball I never notice the crown at address.
I don't make sky marks myself but I've never had an issue hitting clubs with them. I'm the same way, focused on the ball and don't really notice the crown when I start my swing.

Yep, it bothers me. And also a reason why I tend to tape the topline of a new club....you know....just in case.
Yep, better safe than sorry.

Remember my most cringe worthy moment when it comes to club safety? Seeing my heavenwood get teed up 3 freaking inches by someone and it being unprotected.

Yep, better safe than sorry.

Remember my most cringe worthy moment when it comes to club safety? Seeing my heavenwood get teed up 3 freaking inches by someone and it being unprotected.

Need to start wrapping the entire head...

you know.....for when a dumba** is adjusting the hosel and drops the head onto a cart path.

Need to start wrapping the entire head...

you know.....for when a dumba** is adjusting the hosel and drops the head onto a cart path.
"Cookie, you can just keep that one."

I think if someone skied a club of mine I'd just give it to them, it would kill me to look down on a big ole sky mark.
I'm right there with ya Marc. I couldn't look at a sky mark. It's the reason Maddog doesn't hit any of my woods. If someone put one in one of my clubs they'd be buying it unfortunately.

I just had a epiphany, let em hit it with the headcover on. Lol.. Well kind of seriously.

They have really never bothered me but then again I don't ever remember having a bad mark. I had a small scuff on my R11 back in the day that bothered me and it rubbed out with a Magic Eraser.

Sky marks don't bother me at all when I am hitting a club. I have a huge scratch on my driver that I don't even notice anymore. What does scare me is putting one on someone elses club, that is why I really don't ask to hit other peoples clubs. I had a guy tell me to hit his M1 at the course and I refused at first. Luckily I hit a really good shot so it didn't matter.

On that subject : a buddy of mine I WILL NOT let him hit mine without being taped up or @ all. He is notorious for skying, he even has a dent in top of his driver

I get past it, but i hate it when i put them on there and am more annoyed if someone else does.

I am not a fan of those and i can not hit a club with them as well. Anytime someone wants to hit my clubs I have no problem with that, i just inform them any "Dummy marks" or sky marks on the top of the club they buy it.

I absolutely can't have a sky mark on my club and keep it in the bag. Depending on the severity, it would have to be buffed out, repainted, or replaced. The last time I put a sky mark on a club was 30 years ago when I was golfing with about 12 beers in me. The club was retired that day.

I just can't play a club with sky marks, it messes with my head and I choose to not play a club with one.
And when someone else is hitting my club, oh boy am I a bit worried. You sky it, you buy it policy works in that instance.

Luckily I found some excellent protectors for the top lines but need to stock up again.

Josh is coming to visit again in a few weeks. I think I'll just give him the club, and make him buy me lunch. After all it's a reason to get something new.

They bother the heck out of me...and all my woods have one or two.
I find once I get the first one I cease to care and just let 'er rip after that.

Exactly my feelings..... !

If that happened to me that club would be rendered useless and wouldn't even make it back in to my bag.

I don't like it, but they don't ultimately bother me. I gamed a 910F for a long time with several sky marks on it and it never stopped me from hitting nice shots with it.

That being said, I'm gonna try like hell to prevent them on my clubs.

Never put one on any of my clubs, but yes they would bother me. Something I would notice every time I hit it.

I look at it like scratches and dings on a car.

Except that I didn't pay $35,000 for a golf club.

I'm sort of amazed at all of the outstanding players here who apparently have never mishit a shot - never hit a popup in their lives. You all started out with perfect swings? :dohanim:

I do occasionally hit a popup, and it does sometimes leave a mark near the top of the face - less with a driver than with the 5W or 7W. I don't tee the driver high, so I'm less likely to sky a drive than I am a fairway wood when playing from the rough.

As to whether they bother me? Not really - no more than a scuff or ding on the sole does. Golf clubs are subjected to violent collisions with the ball and/or the ground every swing. Some of those collisions are bound to cause cosmetic damage. If I let that bother me I might just as well give up the game. :surrender:

Back