Sky Marks, Who Cares?

Except that I didn't pay $35,000 for a golf club.

I'm sort of amazed at all of the outstanding players here who apparently have never mishit a shot - never hit a popup in their lives. You all started out with perfect swings? :dohanim:
As someone who mentioned not making sky marks myself, I think it comes down to the fact we all have different flaws, 4putt. I've never had anything close to a 'perfect swing' but my misses are thins and tops. I'm not sure what you call a sky mark along the sole plate of a club but I've certainly authored my share of those.

Last edited:
I care. However I don't really see it when I address the ball and make my swing. Every moment before and after however, it eats at me.

I guess I don't understand WHY it should bother me. I get that it's not a nice clean club anymore, but should a blemish on the top affect me ability to strike the ball? Nothing else has changed in the mean time. I don't notice myself focusing on the mark rather than the ball. I just don't get it.

Except that I didn't pay $35,000 for a golf club.

I'm sort of amazed at all of the outstanding players here who apparently have never mishit a shot - never hit a popup in their lives. You all started out with perfect swings? :dohanim:

I do occasionally hit a popup, and it does sometimes leave a mark near the top of the face - less with a driver than with the 5W or 7W. I don't tee the driver high, so I'm less likely to sky a drive than I am a fairway wood when playing from the rough.

As to whether they bother me? Not really - no more than a scuff or ding on the sole does. Golf clubs are subjected to violent collisions with the ball and/or the ground every swing. Some of those collisions are bound to cause cosmetic damage. If I let that bother me I might just as well give up the game. :surrender:

To be fair, I don't think this was polling who has hit a pop-up before, but if it bothered them or not. I think you're taking the internet golfer effect a little too far. I've hit many before and they all bother me. Completely a subjective and personal thing.

I've certainly hit a pop up or two, although most of my misses are the exact opposite. I've never left a mark on the crown, however.

To be fair, I don't think this was polling who has hit a pop-up before, but if it bothered them or not. I think you're taking the internet golfer effect a little too far. I've hit many before and they all bother me. Completely a subjective and personal thing.

I was sort of going tongue in cheek at those who say they have never, ever hit under the ball. Most of us started by hitting the ball just about everywhere except in the middle of the face. Some, myself included, still do miss hit - sometimes badly (I can still recall a complete whiff on the first tee about 6 or 7 years ago, while I was still a 12 handicap) - just not as often as we once did. I rarely hit a complete popup of the type that might put a sky mark unless I also hit it off the toe (my most common miss hit). I have toe end sky marks on both of my FW woods, but none on the driver.

The sole of my driver is considerably scuffed up, partly because I bought it used, and partly because I play the ball teed relatively low (about 2" at most), and I also play driver from the deck occasionally. None of those cosmetic defects bother me in the least. I buy a club with the expectation that it's going to see hard use, and that use is going to result in superficial scratches and scuffs on the woods and scratches and dings on the irons. As I see it, that's just the nature of the game.

Last edited:
My 915F is scarred for life and somehow I did it from a tight lie.
I can say with certainty that with my swing - no area on my woods is safe.

Doesn't bother me. I put one on my 3 wood earlier this year and it hasn't effected me.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

I wouldn't like it. It sucks because if u don't let someone try ur club ur an A-hole, but then if the mess ur clubs up they just give u a "Ohh sorry man" and don't realize they messed up an expensive club

Little marks high on the face of the club that just "touch" the crown don't concern me, but scratches on the crown of the club do. Years ago I let one of my "buddies" try a new TM driver after he asked. His ball must have had some debris on it, and he hit the worst sky ball I've seen in a while. The crown of the brand new club was really scratched beyond simple repair. He never said "sorry," or offered to pay for the repair. Because of that, and other things he pulled on me and others in our golf group, he is no longer a buddy.

Really dislike them. I try to take good care of all of my stuff. It would just bother me to look at it. Oddly enough, I have tried to use the pop-up protectors and they bother me to look at too, so I just live on the edge I guess :act-up:

JM

Hard to say no to someone who wants to hit your cool new Rogue but when they skymark it?!

Anyone just say flat out no you cant hit it? I tend to let me friends and family try out but no randos

Hard to say no to someone who wants to hit your cool new Rogue but when they skymark it?!

Anyone just say flat out no you cant hit it? I tend to let me friends and family try out but no randos

#YouSkyItYouBuyIt

If that happened to me that club would be rendered useless and wouldn't even make it back in to my bag.

I had a friend say the only things he doesn't loan out were his tools and his car because they never come back in the same shape.

Guess same thing could be said for Golf Drivers.

I'll preface this by saying I have never put a sky mark on a club, so I never gave it much thought.

Recently I let my buddy Josh try out my beloved 21° 913h, when he returned it, it had a big ol' scratch right on the center lip of the crown. I wasn't angry, as I let him borrow it, and I didn't give it a second thought.

That club was my absolute go to for 200yard shots from the fairway or the rough. It worked like a charm every time.

Since it received its scar, I can't hit it to save my life! As of today, I have decided to take it out of the bag altogether.

Is this psychological? Is that blemish distracting me? What the heck is going on?

Do sky marks bother you?

I have a 3-wood you would love then :)

I had a friend say the only things he doesn't loan out were his tools and his car because they never come back in the same shape.

Guess same thing could be said for Golf Drivers.

What about his wife?

You sky it you buy it. Or at least offer. It’s the right thing to do. Also if someone says they will take care of something if something happens they better follow through.

That said a small situation like a sky mark and how someone handles it shows me a huge amount about someone’s integrity and personality.

You sky it you buy it. Or at least offer. It’s the right thing to do. Also if someone says they will take care of something if something happens they better follow through.

That said a small situation like a sky mark and how someone handles it shows me a huge amount about someone’s integrity and personality.

Thats why its so much easier to sky your own driver like I did with the Epic :(

I think it's okay if someone can deal with the skymark but if everytime you look down and say... ****! then I wouldn't blame you either.

Are you guys talking about something specific that happened to you, or just talking in general?

I know this happened to a THP member during a local gathering here in the Tampa bay area recently, and JB has been working with the company to try and get a replacement for the marked up head, he just hasn't been able to attain it yet. No one wants their brand new clubs marked up, especially if it wasn't their own doing.

Are you guys talking about something specific that happened to you, or just talking in general?

I know this happened to a THP member during a local gathering here in the Tampa bay area recently, and JB has been working with the company to try and get a replacement for the marked up head, he just hasn't been able to attain it yet. No one wants their brand new clubs marked up, especially if it wasn't their own doing.

This guy at the range did a number on it yesterday. I am not happy

Back