Callaway Big Bertha Driver Review

Essentially.

Mine is set to +2/Draw now, will probably move back to +1/Draw permanently though.

When you say "draw" Are you referring to the adjustable sliding weight? Or a combination of loft/lie that forms a draw biased setting?

Does that make sense?

When you say "draw" Are you referring to the adjustable sliding weight? Or a combination of loft/lie that forms a draw biased setting?

Does that make sense?

Referring to the opti fit adapter on the shaft.

Though, the weight on mine is set all the way draw as well.

I have a red tie fitted with the Optiforce adaptor :) just waiting for the demo clubs to show up at the local stores!

Sent from my SM-N900T using Tapatalk

James, I don't recall reading it anywhere but did you ever have any experience with the Tour Green shaft with this driver?

James, I don't recall reading it anywhere but did you ever have any experience with the Tour Green shaft with this driver?

I have not, sorry Smooth.

TexasHacker - and maybe some other Grandaddy guys - did try that combo.

ATL has this in his BBA...

As for the adapter you can set the lie angle to Neutral or Draw (upright) and then you can increase loft by 1 or 2 degrees (each time closing the face) or decrease loft by 1 degree (opening the face).

No worries James. Thanks guys.

How are the guys with swing speeds from 105-112 ish finding the stock stiff Fubuki Z shaft in this club? Does it leave you with higher spin? More dispersion? Just too light? I see some guys have already ditched it in favor of something else.
Any and all feedback is welcome!

How are the guys with swing speeds from 105-112 ish finding the stock stiff Fubuki Z shaft in this club? Does it leave you with higher spin? More dispersion? Just too light? I see some guys have already ditched it in favor of something else.

My SS is firmly in that range and it held up fine both in the S and the R flexes (yep, I said R, more active, but just a touch more spin and launch, dispersion was fine). Solid shaft, I just know the red tie fits me better with this type of head.

My SS is firmly in that range and it held up fine both in the S and the R flexes (yep, I said R, more active, but just a touch more spin and launch, dispersion was fine). Solid shaft, I just know the red tie fits me better with this type of head.
So you're saying R flex would work well with my 102.777777 swing speed?

So you're saying R flex would work well with my 102.777777 swing speed?

Some will argue the flex can cause misses, I was enlightened at the show about that not being reality though and with what I saw in testing it makes perfect sense, swing causes misses and the body can acclimate...but we have some that will argue till they're blue in the face about me saying that. Now, it'll launch higher and spin a touch more, it just depends on if it spins too much for you. Might be a fun thing to try out, ya know?

I have always performed best with mid/mid shafts in the general sense, and I get better results with a Diamana S+ in 'X' than in 'S'. How would you compare the Fubuki Z to the Diamana S+/Blueboard?

Ok...I'll bite...swing speeds are one thing....but what about tempo and transition?

Some will argue the flex can cause misses, I was enlightened at the show about that not being reality though and with what I saw in testing it makes perfect sense, swing causes misses and the body can acclimate...but we have some that will argue till they're blue in the face about me saying that. Now, it'll launch higher and spin a touch more, it just depends on if it spins too much for you. Might be a fun thing to try out, ya know?
ddec and I talked a bit about this tonight. I dream of the days I played the Razr Fit at 10.5 R flex. It sounds as though this is an improvement on that driver, and a no brainer for me to jump on.

If you are hitting dead center on the club face every time, then sure, I might be more inclined to try a regular flex shaft... I'd be worried about the majority of us that aren't, however. That extra torque could kill you as the club head twists more on off center hits.

It might be something to play around with though! check your dispersion and give it a go

I have always performed best with mid/mid shafts in the general sense, and I get better results with a Diamana S+ in 'X' than in 'S'. How would you compare the Fubuki Z to the Diamana S+/Blueboard?

Loved the S+ in it, more stable for me, just a more comfortable fitting shaft for my swing in general.

Ok...I'll bite...swing speeds are one thing....but what about tempo and transition?

The body can acclimate if we let it, the head can be another story. If you didn't know you were swinging an r the results might surprise. Now, doesn't mean an x or whatever isn't the shaft that fits best, numbers don't lie there, just means things are way more playable than some give them credit for, the body can adjust more than we give it credit for. Just talking to a lot of guys way smarter than me on the subject, I've had my eyes opened a lot.

But, we're digressing. Hahaha

Loved the S+ in it, more stable for me, just a more comfortable fitting shaft for my swing in general.

The body can acclimate if we let it, the head can be another story. If you didn't know you were swinging an r the results might surprise. Now, doesn't mean an x or whatever isn't the shaft that fits best, numbers don't lie there, just means things are way more playable than some give them credit for, the body can adjust more than we give it credit for. Just talking to a lot of guys way smarter than me on the subject, I've had my eyes opened a lot.

But, we're digressing. Hahaha

makes sense really...and the reality is that the hardest 8 inches is between my ears....digressing is ok when were learning? Lol

If you are hitting dead center on the club face every time, then sure, I might be more inclined to try a regular flex shaft... I'd be worried about the majority of us that aren't, however. That extra torque could kill you as the club head twists more on off center hits.

It might be something to play around with though! check your dispersion and give it a go

We aren't talking graphite of old, twisting isn't the issue some think it to be. A weaker flex will show WAY more in up and down than it will left and right, it just will. Can the added spin accentuate a miss? Yes. Will it cause a slice or dead hook? Nope.

Anyways, back to Bertha.

makes sense really...and the reality is that the hardest 8 inches is between my ears....digressing is ok when were learning? Lol

Damn skippy it is brother.

I was at a retailer today, and they are excited to see these come in. A little concerned with price points cause there isn't a entry level price that is easy to swallow. But he said that he will have a full rack when they come in. I asked him if there was a way to get a quick fitting to make sure people aren't throwing good money after bad. He said...not all of our customers want to be fitted, they just want the latest and greatest.

We aren't talking graphite of old, twisting isn't the issue some think it to be. A weaker flex will show WAY more in up and down than it will left and right, it just will. Can the added spin accentuate a miss? Yes. Will it cause a slice or dead hook? Nope.

Anyways, back to Bertha.

I won't disagree with you that these aren't the shafts of old, but when i buy a shaft flex and kick point is just as important to me as torque degrees. I will agree with you only partially however. Yes, if you get a heavier shaft (say an 80 gram diamana) the torque won't vary as much between flexes. However, with club manufacturers touting lighter and lighter shafts to increase swing speed it is important to pay attention. In their lighter model (the 62 S+) the torque varies by .9 degrees, which is a pretty big deal to some golfers. (can add 4.2 additional yards of dispersion for a player who hits it 270 yards) I suppose you can always get the shaft tipped before you install it.

But i digress... this is all a discussion for another thread!

Last edited:

Further to this, what about guys with SS from 95 - 100 ish? I swing Aldila RIP Phenom right now in 60g S, which is torque 3.8* and mid kick. I know that this is very similar to the Tour Blue in the X2 Hot at 60g/S, but how does the Fubuki compare? Haven't been able to find a spec chart for the Zeta anywhere.

I'm going to be going with the Big Bertha 10.5 and stock regular flex for #theking. I'm sure it will work well for me based on reading Jman's experience. I figure going at 10.5 degrees gives me flexibility to adjust to the loft positions of my last two drivers and places in between if needed.

I'm going to be going with the Big Bertha 10.5 and stock regular flex for #theking. I'm sure it will work well for me based on reading Jman's experience. I figure going at 10.5 degrees gives me flexibility to adjust to the loft positions of my last two drivers and places in between if needed.

I think this will be a really good combo for you. The BB is a beast!

Back