Ideal Playing Partner In Team Competitions

This is very true sometimes I feel like I am talking to much to Jeff when we play, but I know we always have a good time. I am not the best golfer in the world, but I try and will drop a putt here or there, and hit some decent shots. I like a partner who is going to have fun and not be to serious. I have a buddy I play with when I get him back home for tournaments and just makes the round super easy. He is a great golfer and makes it look easy a lot of the time, but never seems to let anything bother him.

I

I love playing golf with you man. You are the perfect compliment to my personality. I enjoy the jibber jabber.

I can generally adapt to just about any style player but my ideal playing partner is one that gives 110%. If we give everything we had and come up short it pleases me as much as cracking some ass on the course. I just love the game and admire good shots wether they're ours or our opponents, I don't like advice on the course though lol.

Jordan, you are awesome dude, great thread and thank you.

I think personality is just as important as skill for a playing partner.

I want a partner who is a competitor, but more importantly someone who will relax and have a good time. Golf is difficult enough without stressing incessantly during the round. Talking is good, laughing is better. We should be doing this for fun, after all.

Of course, I'd also like a playing partner that is long off the tee, hits fairways and greens and makes every putt. :Alien.

You must have played against Barry and Marc at the gauntlet. Barry is capt fairway. Its crazy but they were great to play against. I really enjoyed playing with Troy even though I played horrible he was great to play with.

I guess I want to play with someone who is very positive and wants to win. I am a Rah Rah type of guy. High fives and fist bumps. I get to intense sometimes so someone to even that out is always good.

Good questions, but I don't know the answers to them. I have played many team tournaments and have had every kind of partner and have never nailed down which was best. If I am off, I hope he is on his game that day and vice versa. It would be nice to have a long, straight hitter off the tee, but that rarely happens for events where we are using the best tee shot. I always assumed having a scratch player team up with me would be good, but they all aren't straight off the tee and you watch him hit one into a hazard, desert, etc and then the pressure just increases on my tee shot if I haven't hit yet. For best ball events I usually try and get someone who is the same index as me or a scratch guy. They may have a bad hole or miss birdie putts, but for the most part you can count on pars and hopefully I make some pars on holes with pops or an occasional birdie. Having that in the back of my head that they will make pars on the large majority of the holes I think helps me and frees me up.

You are right about Trout also, I was playing horribly and he kept me talking and my mind off the shots I was missing all day, which was quite a chore for him lol. He talks just enough for me and offers the right amount of encouragment. I have played with some partners that want to talk about every shot, read every putt, etc and it just bugs the crap out of me. The worst to me is having someone who plays just as bad as me or worse giving me advice on my swing, putting, etc. For some reason it gets under my skin.

I like easy going guys that are out for fun but also want to win. I want partners that offer encouragement. I've been lucky in my THP team competitions and I've had partners like that. Trout Bum, Cookie, Miller Time, Johnboy12.5 have all fit that bill.

Your are no slouch yourself. I have been very Lucky with the 3 guys I have been partnered with in the Morgan Cup.

What about vegas.....lololol

For me, personality is key - a mixture of a positive attitude, a drive to play their best (even if they aren't hitting the shots they'd like to on a given day), and the ability to laugh at the absurd things that this game can give you at times.

For me, my ideal would be someone that can keep things fairly light-hearted, but still knows what we're going for. My step-brother and I play together very well and just feed off of each others positive energy.

The worst is when someone screws around and has no respect for the game, that frustrates me beyond belief and usually takes me off my game.

I like to talk, give my partner & the team I'm playing against a little good spirited harassment & generally have an upbeat feel.

I hate it when people get down on themselves & draw me into their funk. Or worse yet, I hate it even more if I'm the guy in the funk & can't get myself out of it.

The one thing I can't stand though is when a partner starts having a few bad shots in a row & just mails in the rest of the round.

Not too sure really. Only played in scrambles. As long as they aren't negative or give me advice on every single thing then I am good.
Can't stand club throwers and people who blame every bad shot on something besides themselves.

To be honest I don't really know as I've never participated in a team event.
Same here. I'm just hoping that at the HHI I don't wind up on my partner's "worst teammate evar" list!

I have never thrown a club (paid too much for them), but I also rarely hit well off the tee (though my partner had a good laugh this weekend after I walked off the tee in utter disgust after a particularly bad shot ... I was probably back to the cart before the ball even landed).

Last edited:
Great, thread! I'm pretty competitive and I always play to win. However, I won't pout or throw my clubs so I expect the same of my partner. I can usually get along pretty easily, with whomever I'm playing with. I think the best thing is just communicating before the round starts and then see how the round flows from there.

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk

Someone who uses the terms "lets get one back here," or "a lot of uphill in this putt" as opposed to "we need to win this hole" or "don't leave this putt short." Competitive and supportive can go hand-in-hand, but saying things the right way goes a long way to keeping a partner encouraged.

For me, personality is key - a mixture of a positive attitude, a drive to play their best (even if they aren't hitting the shots they'd like to on a given day), and the ability to laugh at the absurd things that this game can give you at times.

Our rounds together in Orlando couldn't have possibly been any funner. So many laughs, and usually at some pretty off the reservation comments. Lol.

I like a positive attitude and someone that enjoys some humor and sarcasm. I like to try to be as supportive as possible but tailor my demeanor to try to compliment my partners. Non ideal is the Johnny Miller running commentary guy. Sometimes the absolute BEST jokes or most uplifting words of encouragement are preceded by a few minutes of reflective silence. That can't happen if ole Johnny is running his mouth the ENTIRE day.

JM

Simple answer

Freddie

Nuff said

During singles at the Grandaddy, I played alongside Captain Hawk. It was just what I need that day. Kept me level headed when I was way down, and kept me fired up when I was making a run at it. During the entire round we laughed, joked, and fed off each other. It was a blast! So the encouragement, and a foot in the a$$ when needed are good traits of any playing partner. It's important for the team to gel, yet know enough about each other to handle things when needed.

Simple answer

Freddie

Neff said

Who's Neff?

My ideal partner is someone who can enjoy the round and not take themselves seriously. I really don't enjoy playing with people who get super upset. It seems to bring down the whole group. I love to joke and keep things light as well. Anybody with those qualities would be a fun round IMO.

Sheesh. I don't even know. It changes day to day but I do know that I don't like negative partners. I am a glass half full kinda guy and just don't like people getting down on themselves.

I have had some great partners in every THP outing. So, so far so good. I am kinda of a chatter when I get excited, so sorry to all my partners. Haha. I probably talked your ear off all round long.

Puttin4Bird.

I had a blast with Jake in Vegas!

Had to give him a lighthearted pep talk though.

"You're a damn Morgan cup champion! Start playing like it!"

Like I should be giving pep talks! Lol

I'll take anyone who is having fun on the course. I've only played two team matches ever, so I am stilling trying to learn how to keep my partner up and be kept up when I'm going down.

Sheesh. I don't even know. It changes day to day but I do know that I don't like negative partners. I am a glass half full kinda guy and just don't like people getting down on themselves.

Sorry

I have two guys I regularly team with in 4-ball competitions. Both know my game and I theirs so we are able to right one another's ships if something is off. One guy and I took GolfTec lessons together. I also know I can count on them to back me up if I hit a poor shot.

i want to have a playing partner who can find an excuse to win! never say die attitude! " positive things happen to positive thinkers" type guy. also i want him to be able to tell to take my head out of my ass when i go sideways. a guy that can tell me to trust my swing and mean it! six4three5 comes close, he has known my game for about 15 years! asmith is almost there too! and the best part, the competition between us makes us better golfers

Back