What Ball Did You Play Last - What Are Your Thoughts?

Count me in as a believer in the Bridgestone lineup. Played 9 yesterday with the e5 for the first time ever and compared it head to head with the e6 and treosoft (which I had been playing most recently since I got a few free sleeves). E5 definitely checked more on well struck approach shots. I could tell the difference, probably due to the urethane cover. Only issue for me is that even though my ball striking is as good as it has ever been, I'm still not sure it is consistent enough right now for it to make sense buying them vs other 2 piece surlyn balls for cheaper. Hard to tell any difference with the driver bc of the windy conditions. E5 felt about as soft as the other 2 off the face, which I like. I am comfortable with any of the three balls.

FYI I have a slow swing speed 84-86 and impart low spin with my driver per a recent fitting on track man. Typical distance on well struck drives is 230-240.

Still need to try the duo. Anyone been able to play the duo and compare to the treosoft? Seems like they might be similar type balls perhaps?

I find the E5 to be a much better ball than the E6 for stopping reasons as well. I still don't know why they push the E6, I wanted to like them for so long, but I had to give up on them. The E5 is much better. If you haven't tried the DUO, you must! I think you will be pleasantly surprised.

I'm curious what you didn't like about it as I've consistently found it to be my favorite ball that's not wrapped in urethane. The price sucks, I'll admit but I love what I get out of it.

Didn't care for the distance off the woods or the irons to be honest. Just not at all impressed, but I never have been by any of the NXT line.

If you've not tried a maxfli 4x, give it a try. Dicks has them buy one dozen @34.99 I think, get one 1/2 off.
Pretty close match to pro v1x IMO. Maybe a little less spin all the way around, but not much.
Also they had bridgestone b330 line marked $8 or $10 off last time I was there. Since a new line is coming out next year I'm looking for a deeper discount soon. I also think the b330rx plays close to the pro v1x for me, again with a little less green side spin, but need a bigger discount to justify not getting titlest.

ProV1x, I love it. But I'm currently looking for a more affordable ball or I might start buying them used. But I love them. I was hitting the TM Lethal and the B-Stone B330. Like both the other ones, just like the ProV1 a little better. I like low compression golf balls.

Last edited:
Didn't care for the distance off the woods or the irons to be honest. Just not at all impressed, but I never have been by any of the NXT line.

I have always felt the exact same way. I was happier with the DT Solo.

I find the E5 to be a much better ball than the E6 for stopping reasons as well. I still don't know why they push the E6, I wanted to like them for so long, but I had to give up on them. The E5 is much better. If you haven't tried the DUO, you must! I think you will be pleasantly surprised.

Much higher compression number of the e5, can make it difficult for some amateurs to get the max out of the ball. I believe that is one of the main reasons the e6 is marketed the way it is. Then add in the straighter ball flight for many and you have a winner.

Played 2011 Pro V1x on a 40 degree day yesterday and tied my PB with a 78. I really play well and confidently with this ball. Always a toss up between it and Z Star XV.

Much higher compression number of the e5, can make it difficult for some amateurs to get the max out of the ball. I believe that is one of the main reasons the e6 is marketed the way it is. Then add in the straighter ball flight for many and you have a winner.

Is there such a thing as a soft core urethane covered ball? Is the e5 the closest thing to this? I think that this is basically what i'm looking for bc my driver swing speed is slow (need for softer core) and backspin numbers are low (need for urethane cover, greater spin). Also, my iron ballstriking is much better and i believe that i could benefit from added spin when approaching greens.

Is my logic sound, or am I thinking about this all wrong? FWIW, I did the online ball fitting chat on Bridgestone's website, and they recommended the e5 after I provided my most recent numbers off a launch monitor.

Is there such a thing as a soft core urethane covered ball? Is the e5 the closest thing to this? I think that this is basically what i'm looking for bc my driver swing speed is slow (need for softer core) and backspin numbers are low (need for urethane cover, greater spin). Also, my iron ballstriking is much better and i believe that i could benefit from added spin when approaching greens.

Is my logic sound, or am I thinking about this all wrong? FWIW, I did the online ball fitting chat on Bridgestone's website, and they recommended the e5 after I provided my most recent numbers off a launch monitor.

The b330rxs and maxfli u2 seem like options to look into.

Yesterday I played a yellow Titliest DT Solo. It must of been a newer version from when I got back into golf ('07).
When I started playing again I bought some DT Solos & hated em. They felt like a rock , a poor ball all the way around. But this ball impressed me some, it was semi soft & had some bite to it on the greens. There was a huge difference from the 1st DTs and I was pleasantly surprised

I have been trying several different balls lately. Taylormade Superdeep is my latest. I really liked the feel and it was about same distance off the tee as E5 and Lady Precept for me. For an under $20 ball it is my favorite so far. My problem is since I played a found B330 RX s, the others I've played seem to pale. Guess I should just get my cheap ass off the wallet spend the extra money for the ball I like.

Nati - your game sounds a lot like mine. I am longer than most of the guys I play with when it comes to my irons, but a bit shorter with my driver. ( Just have issues being consistent with my driver ) Our swing speeds seem identical, mine may get to 90 on a good day. I find the Callaway chrome a great fit.They are soft off the driver & irons, and while they may not check up like a Pro V1, they generally hold greens just fine. The Callaway Chrome + checks up a bit better on the green, but I find them lower launching, especially with the driver, at my swing speed.

I cannot brag on the DUO enough. Just bought my second box. Its nice to be albe to fully compress a ball with a lower swing speed.

Used a yet to be release ball that is very durable, long and controllable.

Used a yet to be release ball that is very durable, long and controllable.

Lost all of mine but I still dream of getting to play it again one day soon.

I played a Hex Black last round. I seem to rotate between that and Chrome +. The Black does everything I need it to.

Titleist Velocity I got as a freebies - Did. Not. Like. Bleurch.

Q-Stars donated by friendly THPer (you know who you are Paul) - Mucho likee so ordered a box of the new AD333 with spinskin.

Here's what I'm gonna do. On Monday, I'm going to golfsmith, and buying a sleeve of Lethals, Srixon XV's, and the Bridgestone B330 Black. I have played the Srixons before and other models of the Bridgestones. I'm just torn between several golfballs right now. Please, someone help me........:banghead:

I've played all the balls you're planning on trying and by far my favourite ball is the Lethal. I'm assuming Tadashi and co. are talking about the new Callaway balls? Speed regime? I liked the Hex Chrome+ but found I tore it up pretty bad. The Lethal has been great, 2 rounds and I'd still play another 18 with it.

Here's what I'm gonna do. On Monday, I'm going to golfsmith, and buying a sleeve of Lethals, Srixon XV's, and the Bridgestone B330 Black. I have played the Srixons before and other models of the Bridgestones. I'm just torn between several golfballs right now. Please, someone help me........:banghead:

the 330 Black is a very firm ball. Maybe try Hex Black just to add to the confusion.
BTW, how do you like the D100 irons? I demo'd them at Golfsmith today...might be my next purchase.

What's the B330 black, not heard of them...?

Could it be just the regular B330 Tour since its in a black box...the B330-S is a blue box and the RX & RXS are red & silver boxes.

the 330 Black is a very firm ball. Maybe try Hex Black just to add to the confusion.
BTW, how do you like the D100 irons? I demo'd them at Golfsmith today...might be my next purchase.

The D100's are quite nice. Very forgiving iron and when you connect w/ one, the ball flies off these clubs. It took me about 3 rounds to get comfortable w/ them b/c they were about 1 club longer than my Mizuno muscleback irons I was playing. I'm currently busting my 6-iron roughly 200yds. These Wilson clubs I bought from a local store and didn't even demo them, which could've been bad. I am very happy w/ the purchase.

Wilson Staff Elite 50 Yellow. I've always liked this ball (in white) because it is soft and freakin' CHEAP, but I tend to over-compress it in the warmer weather. In the cold NW mornings, while wearing 27 different layers, it seems to be perfect. I bought yellow golf balls for the first time because I kept losing balls, even on shots in the fairway or first cut, because of the frost. I'm guessing that players coming after me had a field day finding "lost" balls in the fairway!

I cannot see playing a ball that cost $48 a dozen I have been playing the NXT Tours and the Maxfli U/4x. The maxfli is the only ball that I can get close to a prov1.

Back