Stack & Tilt thread

guga

Reaction score
Handicap
I searched the forum but didn't find any topic like that, so decided to open it myself.

Any Stack and Tilt users on the forum?
When did you convert? Did you take lessons?
Did you improve? How fast?

Let's share the experience and may be we will be able to help each other to progress...

I have started playing in 2007, my best round was +3. I decided to switch to Stack&Tilt because of inconsistencies that I had with my driver (army style driving) and sometimes poor contact with irons.
I have stated to implement some ideas last fall and thought that Foley's model is right for me. Took his DVD and was hugely disappointed and also realized how many things from Stack and Tilt he uses. Therefore I decided to go with the original S&T and bought a book, waiting for S&T 2.0 DVD to arrive.
Initially it was a struggle becasue i didn't pay attention to the details described in the book:bulgy-eyes: So like many others i was getting this low hook, that i couldn't understand the reason for:banghead: But rereading the downswing section carefully made a big difference:D Now going through the swing change for a few months i was able to record +5 round recently (short game killed me on 17 with a double bogey) and I'm hitting the ball longer about 1/2 or 2/3 of a club and much more solid with irons (just recently hit 56* wedge 112 yards, and 3 wood around 265) and my driver started to come around.:blob: I love the nice little push/draw the swing is producing. Looking forward into the season;)

What's your story?

For some reason search didn't want to show me those... or i would say it gave to many false positive results;) thanks!

Bennett and Plummer appeared to have arrived at SnT through reverse-engineering the hypothetical ideal golf swing.
As someone who can't weight shift to save my life, SnT has made improving more attainable.
Switching over is not easy as I'd thought as much have to be unlearnt as well as learnt. Not having ready access to SnT pros is another problem (at least in the UK).
Bennett and Plummer's book and DVDs are not beginner friendly; I wish they are better communicators of their very good ideas. The DVDs are probably unscripted or poorly scripted and not well produced.
Version 2 of the DVD set is due to be released in a couple of weeks and looks miles better and are presently still available at a reduced per-order price. No, I'm not related to either of them.

Best regards, Hawk

I agree that the biggest challenge of the swing is that you have to be stubborn enough to get to the core of it by doing a lot of analysis yourself, because this is not wide spread model yet.

I came onto this methodology about a month ago. I have always been a believer in making your golf swing adapt to your strengths, as opposed to an entire teardown and rebuild. I guess it goes to Arnold Palmer's "swing your swing" commercial. Immediately this felt "right" for lack of a better term. I found the principles simple to incorporate for me, and it all feels natural to me. I have noticed my ball striking has greatly improved and it's helped me close my club face and get more distance.

I am very adept in self analysis, from 30+ years as a pitcher. All I need is a baseline to work with, so I know what the right feel is. This is giving me that.

I came onto this methodology about a month ago. I have always been a believer in making your golf swing adapt to your strengths, as opposed to an entire teardown and rebuild. I guess it goes to Arnold Palmer's "swing your swing" commercial. Immediately this felt "right" for lack of a better term. I found the principles simple to incorporate for me, and it all feels natural to me. I have noticed my ball striking has greatly improved and it's helped me close my club face and get more distance.

I am very adept in self analysis, from 30+ years as a pitcher. All I need is a baseline to work with, so I know what the right feel is. This is giving me that.

How long have you been doing it for?

About a month now. That includes two rounds and a half-dozen practice sessions. But every night I'll grab a club and just do some practice swings or just do some practice swings on my own without a club with the lean forward just to get the proper feel for it and to lock it into muscle memory.

About a month now. That includes two rounds and a half-dozen practice sessions. But every night I'll grab a club and just do some practice swings or just do some practice swings on my own without a club with the lean forward just to get the proper feel for it and to lock it into muscle memory.

A wise man made me realize something about S&T. You have to have the time to practice it in order to succeed with it. And by practice I don't mean once a week. My teacher is all about S&T and I'm on the range/course AT LEAST 5 days a week. You will likely run in to pieces that you will struggle with but if you trust it, stick with it. I've gone through the lowest of lows with S&T but I have recently chosen to just trust my instructor and put the work in. I hope you continue to succeed with it dude. I truly believe that it is a very good method for the right person.

Stack & Tilt thread

Since it feels completely natural to me, unlike any swing I've ever had before, I think I'm a step ahead of a lot of people who try this out. That's one of the reasons I trying at least take some swings every day, to reinforce the stance that set up. Right now I have to think about it just a little bit, but that's something I don't expect I'll have to do come the spring.

Since it feels completely natural to me, unlike any swing I've ever had before, I think I'm a step ahead of a lot of people who try this out. That's one of the reasons I trying at least take some swings every day, to reinforce the stance that set up. Right now I have to think about it just a little bit, but that's something I don't expect I'll have to do come the spring.

These were a few of my initial changes which were pretty drastic. http://www.thehackersparadise.com/forum/showthread.php?49124-Swing-Changes

I've had a lot of bad things to say about S&T but when I step back and take emotion out of it I've learned some very good things. A few more pieces and I will start getting things together. Let me say this as well, since S&T takes a lot of time don't let your short game suffer! This is what I did and it was a MAJOR mistake.

I spent a long time working on it. It all started great but could never get it to work well with the big stick. I think I've had success because it simplified things for me.

I have sort of drifted away from it because I simply didn't have the time to battle through the lows.

I still have pieces of S&T in my swing, however I believe these are things you do in just about every pass you make at the ball regardless of swing style.

Good luck and keep us updated

Sent from my SPH-L710 using Tapatalk

Smithfaced and I have talked about this before, and I was a Stack and Tilt student for about a year. When I started, I was a 12 handicap. At the end of the year, I was a 22 handicap. I practiced 3-4 times a week, took lessons and did everything I could to give it a fair shake, but alas.... it wasn't for me. In fact, since I started it, I've never dipped below a 17 again and while my miss before S&T was a fade/slice, I developed a low duck hook with every club, especially with my driver that I've never fully recovered from and still suffer from.

So it's not for everyone, even with a lot of practice, but I know quite a few people who picked it up quickly and ran with it and dropped their scores quickly before they leveled out.

Smithfaced and I have talked about this before, and I was a Stack and Tilt student for about a year. When I started, I was a 12 handicap. At the end of the year, I was a 22 handicap. I practiced 3-4 times a week, took lessons and did everything I could to give it a fair shake, but alas.... it wasn't for me. In fact, since I started it, I've never dipped below a 17 again and while my miss before S&T was a fade/slice, I developed a low duck hook with every club, especially with my driver that I've never fully recovered from and still suffer from.

So it's not for everyone, even with a lot of practice, but I know quite a few people who picked it up quickly and ran with it and dropped their scores quickly before they leveled out.

The crazy thing about this and to show how true the above statements are, Bullitt and I used the same exact instructor. We even golfed together during one of my major lows. I've played the best rounds of my life since starting S&T and I've also played some of the worst. The thing is, I wasn't going to get any better with my old swing so I've taken 3 steps back but I am confidant that I will take 10 forward sometime soon. There are flashes of awesome but it just isn't quite there yet.

The crazy thing about this and to show how true the above statements are, Bullitt and I used the same exact instructor. We even golfed together during one of my major lows. I've played the best rounds of my life since starting S&T and I've also played some of the worst. The thing is, I wasn't going to get any better with my old swing so I've taken 3 steps back but I am confidant that I will take 10 forward sometime soon. There are flashes of awesome but it just isn't quite there yet.

Yeah, you didn't get to see the worst of mine, since I didn't have the driver in the bag when we played. There can be no argument that the S&T driver swing is the most difficult part to get right. One day, I may be able to hit it consistently again...... :banghead:

Yeah, you didn't get to see the worst of mine, since I didn't have the driver in the bag when we played. There can be no argument that the S&T driver swing is the most difficult part to get right. One day, I may be able to hit it consistently again...... :banghead:

Well at least I wasn't the only one struggling with the driver. I believe my problem was the steep angle of attack.

Smith,
I know I told you privately my thoughts after playing with you and my experiences with both the system as well as talking to many others. I hope you find what works for you.

Well at least I wasn't the only one struggling with the driver. I believe my problem was the steep angle of attack.

That's exactly it. And if you can't get enough hip slide towards the target, you're screwed. I simply couldn't do it, so I tried a conventional driver swing and S&T with my irons, which completely wrecked me. Then I sucked at everything.

Smith,
I know I told you privately my thoughts after playing with you and my experiences with both the system as well as talking to many others. I hope you find what works for you.

What you said to me really helped me dude. I was thinking back to the round I played with you and the round I played against Niteowl. My full iron/tee shots were not what hurt me the most (they weren't all good either but you get the point). After we talked I realized I was completely neglecting my short game in order to get my full swing put together. I'm going to stick with S&T for now but make sure I keep an emphasis on my short game.

That's exactly it. And if you can't get enough hip slide towards the target, you're screwed. I simply couldn't do it, so I tried a conventional driver swing and S&T with my irons, which completely wrecked me. Then I sucked at everything.

Story of my golf career

What you said to me really helped me dude. I was thinking back to the round I played with you and the round I played against Niteowl. My full iron/tee shots were not what hurt me the most (they weren't all good either but you get the point). After we talked I realized I was completely neglecting my short game in order to get my full swing put together. I'm going to stick with S&T for now but make sure I keep an emphasis on my short game.

WHile that was not my message, Im glad you found something that will work for you.
I hope it leads to enjoyment on the course, because in the end, that is all we should care about.

I did S&T for a year as well and then both me and my instructor began to see some issues with the philosophy.

Since then I've tried a few things but now work with a local instructor on what is basically the modernized and tweaked version of S&T that Foley/Grant Waite and other former MORAD, TGM, S&T guys have evolved towards. These evolutionary versions have reduced the dramatic pieces and "normalized" them to reduce the learning curve dramatically.

Good luck in your journey to a better swing/game!

I'm 100% for playing golf well and if ST get you there, amen brother. But I am truly curious as to why the same level of dedication toward a traditional move would not have worked. Just curious is all

I'm 100% for playing golf well and if ST get you there, amen brother. But I am truly curious as to why the same level of dedication toward a traditional move would not have worked. Just curious is all

Freddie,
This is a really good point that you bring up. My old swing was self taught. I never had a lesson in my life until I went to a S&T instructor. I didn't even know what S&T was to be completely honest. So for me, dedication to my self taught swing wouldn't have gotten me anywhere because it was downright ugly. I'm sure dedication to a "traditional" move would have done me well but it wasn't what I was taught. I hope that makes some sense.

Freddie,
This is a really good point that you bring up. My old swing was self taught. I never had a lesson in my life until I went to a S&T instructor. I didn't even know what S&T was to be completely honest. So for me, dedication to my self taught swing wouldn't have gotten me anywhere because it was downright ugly. I'm sure dedication to a "traditional" move would have done me well but it wasn't what I was taught. I hope that makes some sense.

Smith, just out of curiosity, what made you go to a s&t instructor?

Back