The THP Range/Practice Thread

Status
Not open for further replies.
I'm doing a lot of drills from the book "The Practice Manual - the ultimate guide for golfers". There are a few things you can do which translate to indoor practice, like some strike drills and what he calls 'variability and differencial' practice drills. Apparently they have a lot of scientific research surrounding them. I have certainly noticed an improvement in my own strike since using them.

There is another thread going regarding the book, but I thought I would mention it here as it relates. Sounds like a lot of us need a way of practicing more effectively - trust me, this book is the bible when it comes to golf practice.

I'm also going to be working on some visualization techniques this year in the offseason. Some Rotella books have inspired me to do more than just technical work. What about you guys? Do you do anything else in the winter to keep your game fresh?

Beauty of a morning on the range/chipping green. Trying to get bunker issues sorted.

69b7b7145d22a8b1c300500d112f02ac.jpg

Sent from my SM-G920P using Tapatalk

Season almost done;However, focusing more on finishing strong by adhering to proper swing fundamentals. Without proper swing fundamentals you really have nothing to build on except quick fix swing tips

Adhering to proper swing fundamentals are the only way to get this done

After yesterday's round featured some awful ball striking compared to what I've been doing lately I hit the range this morning with nothing but a 7 iron and driver.

Of course, I don't miss while on the range so it's tough to work on the issues. Frustrated.

I did a lot at the range today so I'm gonna grade my game areas rather than go stream of consciousness.

Chipping: A. Was really chipping well.

Greenside Sand: B+. Hit 15 balls or so, got every one out with no horrendous blades. A definite step in the right direction. Helps to have actual sand rather than the soggy crap the place I usually practice has!

Fairway sand: B. Hit every ball out with decent distance, but not very consistent on the distance.

Irons: A-. Started pretty crap, but then got it in gear. Consistent contact and shaping.

Fairways: C. Hooky for some reason. Kept getting flat on the backswing and paid the price. Need to be more mindful.

Driver: B. Center face contact and some great drives, but need to watch the swing plane just like the fairways.

Putting: B+. Great lagging and speed, iffy short putting.

Sent from my SM-G920P using Tapatalk

The course just aerated the greens on Tuesday so it was a good day to practice rather than play. I hit about 310 balls - all were 9 irons, 7 irons, and my 2Deep. I really struggled until about the last 30 balls. As it turns out my shoulders and hips were not aligned properly and my posture had gotten a little sloppy. Luckily I stuck with it until I figured it out. I really didn't want to leave after hitting mostly bad shots for 90 minutes. It still amazes me after 38 years of playing how good golf can be one day and how quickly it can go sour the next day. This game is not easy!!!

I've been practicing and played last 3 rounds putting left hand low. I have a tendency to have my lead shoulder up and open when putting conventional leading to pulls and pushes. Left hand low has helped drop my lead shoulder in line and now I'm hitting my lines so much better. It was tough controlling pace at first but with the success on the greens lately I'm excited to keep practicing and seeing putts drop

Have a "tournament" on Tuesday. It's more of a fun tournament - last one of the season - so I've been hitting the range a bit more than usual. Working on my primary piece of getting my weight forward on all shots. I've been doing 5-ball drills going through my shot routine on each ball. I'm using an alignment stick with my shoulder width marked with electrical tape. The front mark is my left foot. The back mark can vary length per club. This is helping me set up for each shot. You know how sometimes you can get into just hitting balls? This 5-ball drill also puts a little added pressure on the last ball. I'm also working on wrist cock. If I don't cock my wrists bad things happen... like fat shots and shanks.

* Pitching Wedge - B - I did okay with it. Pulled a couple left, but tended to hit most with decent contact. Hit a few on the thin side.

* 9 - iron to 124 yd target. B-. This is a typical approach shot. There's a "green" around the target. I was able to carry to the green and land most shots within 5 yds., however I was missing left. This told me that I was not aligning well. I really have to watch my alignment. Hips & shoulders.

* Driver - C+ - This being "winter" I put my Big Bertha away and brought out the Razr Fit. Last week I had a spare shaft laying around and had the Aldila Trinity 75g A shaft put on it in place of the Aldila RIP'd NV R shaft. Aldila doesn't make the A shaft in 75g anymore. It's now 65g, so this is a little heftier. And I think my Big Bertha may be sitting in the closet for the tournament. The only thing was that I had a tendency to block the shots about 25 yds right, but I'll only be hitting this club on 8 holes and on those it shouldn't be a problem. I can hit it down the right hand side of the fairway and I got about 225 - 230 yds carry with it. From the front tees, that should shorten the course quite a bit. Seriously next year I'm playing the golds or whites. Again alignment will be key.

* 6 iron to 174 yd target - C+ - getting my weight forward with this club and not hitting too much of a draw can be problematic. I need to remember to get my wrist cock on this. That takes out the excessive draw and gives me some additional carry. I hit this club about six times a round.

* 8 iron to 143 yd target - B - again wrist cock and alignment. This can be a frequent approach shot on longer courses.

* GW to 100 yds. - B+ - This is my typical approach shot on the course I'll be playing if I get a decent drive.

* LW to 65 yds - A- This can be another approach shot. Unfortunately I tend to pull this shot all the time due to the length of the club vs my height. So I've given up and just play for the pull.

The rest were hitting SW pitches to 45 yds, 25 yds, 15 yds. I find the SW more reliable for those than the LW.

All I did yesterday was practice low running chips. I re-read Stockton's section on these shots in Unconscious Scoring and then spent the whole day if and on working on that shot. I've simply improvised too long with that shot and my confidence level in it has not been very high, so it was nice to work on a set position and move.

All high wedge shots tonight. Practicing adjusting height of shot with shaft lean instead of opening up the face, just to try it out.

Spent some time working on chipping tonight. Had forgotten how to do it, it seems, so some good reminders on what to do for certain ball flights and felt pretty good. Worked on some putting after that.

Hit a small bucket at the range, practiced putting for a little bit, then played 9 holes. I have a match play gas on Thursday with work, so am trying to look sharp for that. I used to 9 holes to groove the changes I made to my putting and chipping from the Stockton books.

I really liked how I was driving it today and the low chip was working well. So was the high chip, but need to work getting set up in different and/or bad lies, as any bad shot I had involved hitting in those situations.

Overall, I'm really glad I went over Stockton's stuff again. I picked up a bunch more info and I think it will help shave strokes off. I also felt a lot more relaxed out there than recently, which I think is attributable to Stockton's approach and not getting too hard on yourself when things don't go as expected. Now to kick ass Thursday.

Went out and played 9 today. But I played 2 balls tee to green and when I got to within 125 a few more approach and chip shots as well. Working on using my set AW amd 56 degree around the green for different shot types. Had a really productive day. Most encouraging was the driver, which was in play most of the holes.

Another solid practice session today during lunch. I worked on short game, mostly chipping around the green from 20 yards and in. I just scattered balls randomly around the green and worked on trying to get it up and down with a few different clubs. 9 iron from just off the green. AW and 56 from further out. Taking every opportunity this weather gives me to get out and practice.

Had to get out for a bit to clear my head yesterday, hit odd numbered irons (plus 5w) up and down over a small bucket, then ended with driver. One overdrew to the left, one tailed off to the right and I know exactly why, but the remaining 3 were probably 3 of the best driver strikes I've had all year. Dead straight, awesome trajectory, dropped maybe 240 and rolled out well past the 250 marker.

All I could think was, WHY NOW????? Why hit it so well at the complete end of the season??? Oh well, nice to be ending on a high note anyways, as I don't think I'll be able to get out again with my weekend schedule through mid-November.

Just found some articles for practicing that you guys might like.

http://practical-golf.com/5-ways-to-experiment-on-the-driving-range/

http://practical-golf.com/the-202020-practice-session/

http://www.adamyounggolf.com/top-10-golf-practice-tips-6/

http://www.adamyounggolf.com/top-10-golf-practice-tips-7/

http://www.golf.com/instruction/six-drills-help-you-master-art-deliberate-practice

I'm in full swing with my practice schedule now the course is wet and it is getting cold. I spend most of my evenings now looking for good articles on practicing. Play well everyone

Had a 90 minute ranges session this morning. Spent less time on short game and more time working on driver accuracy today. Improving slowly but surely. Also spent some time playing some putting games on the practice green.

Absolutely horrific time at the range last night. Dreadful.

I did nothing right and lost all the confidence over built up over the last few weeks. I'll be playing some seriously defensive golf on Saturday if things don't turn around. Oof.

I did nothing right and lost all the confidence over built up over the last few weeks. I'll be playing some seriously defensive golf on Saturday if things don't turn around. Oof.

Don't worry brother, I've seen you say this before and then turn right around and play some solid, solid golf. Keep your head up!

I'll be headed to the range tonight to try and address a few things before tomorrow. Want to try and replicate good sand play and reinforce a more upright takeaway with my woods.

I have seen the progress you have made dude, you will be fine! Deep breaths. Remember all of the shots that you have hit over the past months. You got this.

Worked on short game today, putting in the basement, and chipping in the back yard. I feel like I'm figuring a lot out on both fronts, and my putting stroke feels solid for the first time in forever. Looking forward to applying what I've learned on the course tomorrow.

hit 8i and d on the range for about 40 minutes into a stiff head wind. I was pretty rushed and didn't swing the 8i very well, but d was ok. until a mini tour guy started hitting 3w PAST my best d swings on the fly! as much as I love the forgiveness of the fly-z, I'm pretty convinced I need a lower spinning head for my current mechanics.

then putted for about 15 minutes. I modified my grip a bit and its feeling really good.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

After a disastrous day on the course last week, I spent 90 minutes last night with the skytrak working on my impact zone. The end result was I got the feeling back of the club going through the impact zone and down the target line. That's what I need for an accurate shot.

Fun session at the range this morning. It was quite fresh and crisp out there but still nice to be hitting balls

Brought the 2 Callaway heads and 3 shafts to tinker with and spent most of my time hitting those in different configurations and I still feel like the Aldila shaft gives me the best results in the 815 Alpha head

20151025_093821_zpsikmnr74d.jpg

Fun session at the range this morning. It was quite fresh and crisp out there but still nice to be hitting balls

Brought the 2 Callaway heads and 3 shafts to tinker with and spent most of my time hitting those in different configurations and I still feel like the Aldila shaft gives me the best results in the 815 Alpha head

20151025_093821_zpsikmnr74d.jpg

That's always fun!

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back