Approach Shots Coming Up Short

I have no stats to back it up but I bet I am somewhere around 70%.

I would guess it is pretty high right now. Last round I missed short 10 of 13 times, but part of that was because I was playing in tourney where I was playing a tee box farther back than I normally would so there were 3 shots where I hit a wood knowing I would not make it to the green.

Most rounds I would say I come up short 50% or so usually because my miss lately has been chunky or slicey which would leave me short right.

I would rather be short then long. I know what's in front of the green, I can't say the same beyond it. Couple that with most greens slope towards the front rather then away so I'll take my chances up front.

yep, my thoughts exactly. if i'm between clubs, i almost always opt for less loft and try to hit it harder because if i'm short i know what i'm facing. long is rarely good on any golf course, especially here in orlando.

so i would say when i miss a green, i'd say 9/10 i'm short. and i'm fine with that.

Gotcha. Although 30 ft from the pin short is a 10 yards short of target. 45 feet is 15 yards short. Based on the diagrams, I think you fall into the more short than not too.
Yep would say more come up short than long, I imagine that is common. I know my yardages so long is more often a flier, maybe a misjudge of wind, or flush in between clubs, short could be those things then you add in miss hit shots would make sense that ends up happening much more often.

On course my strategy would be 5 yard cushion over a bunker, so if it is 150 to cover bunker I aim at 155 and 10 yards longer than the cover number on any sort of water hazard or canyon.

Some swing adjustments have me hitting my irons closer to what I should be but as a result I miss long more often than I miss short. My guess is that will change again as I get used to distances.

It's a hard stat for me to read and just say, easy decision hit another club up. My struggle with this stat is that my home course is basically very penal if you go long on any given hole, obviously not all, but majority so you tend to play every hole knowing that going long will be brutal to try and save a hole. It's a Donald Ross Design and most holes are about impossible to hold a chip out of the rough from the back side of the greens and keep the ball on the right tier or tight to the pin. With that mindset I travel to courses not knowing whether going long is good, bad or indifferent, which makes me fall back to my mode of thinking at my home course, keep it in front of me and take the green head on if it's short I still see the hole same. If I go long I may find dangers I didn't know about.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

I would rather be short then long. I know what's in front of the green
ditto..alot of the courses I play greens are raised and slope severely off the back which makes going long more penal than coming up short.

I need to track this, other responses are making me question myself.

Although I "club up" without hesitation, doesn't mean I'm not coming up short a decent bit. Will start tracking relation to pin.

I'd say I am short 70% of the time I miss in relation to long. However, I think its more than just people being macho and not always hitting the ball perfect. I think its partly psychological that you can see what is in front, but often can't see what is behind. And some designers you have to play just over the front.

Probably 60% for me...im never long always pin high and right or short

I am short a lot. But I have also given this some thought.

Being short may be bad but, I think, being long is worse. Assuming that a shot is on line, a ball that comes up short of most greens will be in the short grass and the player will, probably, have an up-hill chip or putt. Over the back of many greens is long, gnarly rough and perhaps on a steep slope since greens tend to slope back to front and have a fall-off over the back. A player who is long is likely to have a poor lie and a chip or putt to a down hill pin position.

My thought might be different if the green is fronted by sand or water but if there are no hazards I'll take short almost every time.

Have to say that I don't know. I would have to think that I'm short 70% of the time. Very rarely will I go over.

I would rather be short then long. I know what's in front of the green, I can't say the same beyond it. Couple that with most greens slope towards the front rather then away so I'll take my chances up front.
This ^^^^^

If there's trouble short, I'm missing long.

Not very often, in fact I usually go long but having golfed with a TON of amateurs I would say 80% of the time they don't take enough club because they think they are going to nut every shot.

I'd say about 80%. I'm always overcautious on approach shots, I'd rather be a bit short and have a better line than be too long and in junk or a bunker and facing an elevated chip.

Not very often, in fact I usually go long but having golfed with a TON of amateurs I would say 80% of the time they don't take enough club because they think they are going to nut every shot.

This is the internet bro I do NUT every
shot.

I miss short 64% of the time.

I was talking with mpeterson about this a few months back though, what if the pin placement is tucked front right and the safe miss is a short bail out? I know you're still counting it as a short approach but it's a safe approach.

If the round is even remotely important to me I know what is long and know if it is worse than short. The typical course tends to be short is better, especially pop up greens slope back to front. Long is often several feet below the putting surface with the green sloping away from you. Harder courses with tucked pins and such isn't always the case though, especially when short is a hazard.

Over the winter I used trackman to determine my carry distances for 7-lw. I played yesterday and used that data and had at least 4 birdie putts. In each case it was a club lower than i would normally use.

I would say 60-70% of the time here for me. Domed greens = hesitancy for me.

Not as often as it used to. I've been using the back number on the GPS no matter where the pin is. Still happens more than I care to see.

Not sure. Some of the courses I play long is no bueno. This will be something I need to track. Are we talking short of the green or short of the pin?

I am short probably 85% of the time if I miss the green. The course I usually play is terrible if you go long. I usually say, "rather be short than long". So, I play to the middle of the green usually. If I hit a decent shot, I am on. Very seldom do it hit a great shot that goes long.

Probably 60% of the time my approach shots come up short unless I striking the ball well. Most of the courses I play have less trouble in being short, but I should probably take a closer look this year at this stat.

I rarely miss long. Short is my typical approach miss. Next is left.

Though to be honest, I can't think of a single green at my CC where being long leaves you with a better lie than being short provides.

I would say about 50% of the time. Rarely long though.

Back