Electronics Pondering

Status
Not open for further replies.
Pondering a new Laptop, Just not sure if I want to go with a bigger brand or stick with another Sager. Love my Sager just a bit pricy and not sure if its worth it again.

Picked up a new Zoom H4N audio recorder. Should make podcasting while on the road easier.

I should not be pondering the 9.7 iPad Pro.

I should not be pondering the 9.7 iPad Pro.

Why the iPad instead of a Surface?

In my entirely unsolicited and free (you get what you pay for) opinion.....I like the versatility of the surface better than the iPad. I used an iPad for a while, and recently gave it up in favor of a laptop, I don't see the iPad as legit replacement for a laptop, whereas the Surface really is. I'm not sure on the pricing for the new iPad pros, but unless it's significantly cheaper than the other models the Surface is the better value. That's of course not to say the iPad doesn't have any value, it depends entirely on the needs for the device.

In my entirely unsolicited and free (you get what you pay for) opinion.....I like the versatility of the surface better than the iPad. I used an iPad for a while, and recently gave it up in favor of a laptop, I don't see the iPad as legit replacement for a laptop, whereas the Surface really is. I'm not sure on the pricing for the new iPad pros, but unless it's significantly cheaper than the other models the Surface is the better value. That's of course not to say the iPad doesn't have any value, it depends entirely on the needs for the device.

For me it's more of a convenience since I have a MacBook and iPhone. Though the surface is nice.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

1. I dont need a tablet for a laptop replacement, just as a media/fun/whatever device.

2. I want a new Surface too.

1. I dont need a tablet for a laptop replacement, just as a media/fun/whatever device.

2. I want a new Surface too.

Excellent. I fully support this ponder. LOL. :egyptian:

For me it's more of a convenience since I have a MacBook and iPhone. Though the surface is nice.

That makes a lot of sense, I've got a MacBook and an iPhone, and I'd have kept my iPad, but child unit requires it for education, and it's a toy for me, not something I need.

I just looked at the specs on this one, so I'd like to say thanks, and add me to the ponder list. I like the ability to use the pencil on the normal sized iPad, not that i need it, or would really use it for anything besides the occasional photo edit. I'm going to try to hold off another couple of years for any new devices like that though. I keep hoping Apple will come out with a legit answer to the Surface, something that runs OSX with USB support of some type.

I do too. And yet never touch my iPad and use the Surface Pro constantly.
I understand the ecosystem, but in the case of a tablet, where many use it strictly for media consumption, I dont think it is necessary to be part of the ecosystem.

I do too. And yet never touch my iPad and use the Surface Pro constantly.
I understand the ecosystem, but in the case of a tablet, where many use it strictly for media consumption, I dont think it is necessary to be part of the ecosystem.

Media consumption on the iPad is a joke now if you want to use local files. I shouldn't have to sync with iTunes and Apple needs to get off their high horse and let you buy media through other apps and download direct.

Media consumption on the iPad is a joke now if you want to use local files. I shouldn't have to sync with iTunes and Apple needs to get off their high horse and let you buy media through other apps and download direct.

Its funny, I like the ecosystem, obviously since I use it. But I dont use the iPad outside of consumption. Since adding the Surfrace Pro, the only thing the iPad is used for is FlightScope, as a secondary device.

Picked up a new Zoom H4N audio recorder. Should make podcasting while on the road easier.

Quoting this because I just finished reading all about it. Talk about a great way to record for THP Radio. Lots of great content is coming, but this definitely makes it easier on the road.

Just arrived.
575bc96fd9645af56f0a8d62adb7a9e9.jpg

Crystal clear THPRadio coming up??

We already use pretty good mics, but can only be as good as the airwaves allow us. Good example of that is how good the quality is in the last show with Harry Arnett when we were sitting in the same room.

What this does is give us the ability to record from anywhere, in high performance fashion and use our XLR mics to do so, for better sound.

You can download Prime stuff as well as YouTube directly to the iPad for offline viewing.

You can download Prime stuff as well as YouTube directly to the iPad for offline viewing.

You cant download Prime video direct via the app. You have to purchase it in a desktop browser and add it to your library. Apple wont let you buy content from other applications because they want their cut.

You cant download Prime video direct via the app. You have to purchase it in a desktop browser and add it to your library. Apple wont let you buy content from other applications because they want their cut.

You can. The free stuff only I believe. I did it for Bosch on my way back from California.
You have to play it through their app and it takes up a ton of memory.

You can. The free stuff only I believe. I did it for Bosch on my way back from California.
You have to play it through their app and it takes up a ton of memory.

You are right, if the content is free you can. If its paid content you cant buy it in the app.

You are right, if the content is free you can. If its paid content you cant buy it in the app.

Its awful. I have found that unless I absolutely need to, I dont even bring out my iPad even when flying. Surface has given me a great screen, faster machine, more content and expandable memory all for less money than the iPad Pro.

Stuff that's available through Prime can be downloaded straight from the App and it's stored in the App. I did it with a crap ton of videos for my kid.

Same for YouTube if you're a Red subscriber. Which was handy to skip ads for the kid's videos, but not for $12.99/month so I quit it after the free month.

Its awful. I have found that unless I absolutely need to, I dont even bring out my iPad even when flying. Surface has given me a great screen, faster machine, more content and expandable memory all for less money than the iPad Pro.

Well im jacked into the OSX/iOS ecosystem for 2 more years. Then it's going to be a hard look at moving back to Windows.

Well im jacked into the OSX/iOS ecosystem for 2 more years. Then it's going to be a hard look at moving back to Windows.

Im using hte same computer as you, have the same phone as you and use the Apple Watch. I still dont get how it has to be all or nothing, but thats just me. If the tablet is a consumption device, and with how small and light my MBP is, and how large my phone is, it certainly is that way for me. It doesnt matter what OS it is running.

I have to say that seeing the Masters in 4k has me pondering an LG OLED tv. I'm really only pondering it in my dreams, but man would it be sweet.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back