Golf Pride Grips
Page 36 of 37 FirstFirst ... 263031323334353637 LastLast

Thread: The Youth Sports Coaching Thread

Handicap
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    5,307 Posts
    This stinks. Our league starts up on the 13th. Last year we played 14 games. Just got the schedule and we play 9 this year.

What doubly stinks is that I was told a couple weeks ago by work that I needed to take two trips (one to DC, one foreign travel). I'll be gone a total of 2 weeks. I'll miss 4 games. I hope a parent steps up to help. I knew I might miss a couple games but not half the season.
    Bag powered by , , and

Handicap
    My Swing
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    11,643 Posts

The Youth Sports Coaching Thread

Long day at the soccer fields, but being with these two as their coach and dad is something I cherish. I love these two and the young leaders they are becoming on the pitch .

Last edited by mikeg_74; 04-06-2019 at 07:06 PM.
    In My #TheGrandaddy 2.0 Team Redemption Bag

Epic Flash 10.5 | UST Elements Chrome F4
    Epic Flash 3+ 15.5 | Project X Even Flow Green 6.0
    Epic Flash 5W 17 | Project X Even Flow Green 6.0
    Epic Flash Heavenwood 20 | Project X Even Flow Green 6.0
    CF-19 Apex Smoke Combo 5-AW | TT Elevate Tour Black S
    PM Grind 19 Tour Grey 54/14 | 58/12 | TT Elevate Tour Black S
    Stroke Lab Marxman
    Chrome Soft **

3. The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to mikeg_74 For This Useful Post:

gkeller813 (04-11-2019), tequila4kapp (04-07-2019)

I'm not a Club Pro
    Handicap
    9.5 Ugh
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    1,225 Posts
    First post on this thread. I Asst Coach (#asscoach?) an 8th grade baseball team and head coach an 8u coach pitch team. Spring ball for the 8th grade team, I was working today but my middle son (also gifted at golf) threw a no hitter and one strike away from a perfect game. The head coach put in a couple kids that normally alternate in RF only to play second base. With 2 outs in the bottom of the 7th (last) their batter hit a routine grounder to 2nd base. Kid makes an error and perfect game is gone.

My 8th grader is hardly overpowering. He has 2 pitches, a 4-seam that tails out and a 2seam that tails in. By mixing those up hes hard to make solid contact off of even at a max of 60ish MPH. Its very seldom that he gets hit hard, even against good hitting and clearly better teams.

Proud of the kid tonight. I threw a lot harder than he does and even had a couple no hitters a hundred or so years ago. Never had a game pitching from 606 that I even remotely entertained a perfect game. Watching him pitch I think hes probably leaving 10-15 MPH on the table. Hell have to work on that to be a truly dominant pitcher at the next level. His current speed will get him teed off on against a good HS team. But to be able to stay in the game and work his control to his advantage is something few have. He does the same thing golfing. He can reach 110 CHS at this point. He stays within himself and swings right around 100 CHS. Ive never been able to contain myself. Sure, tight holes and a 3-2 count, perspective changed(changes) for me. Hes able to stay within himself on an 0-2 count or a wide open driving hole.

Just a proud papa post more than a coaching thread post. Sure I coach him, but he coaches me just as much. Ive been hitting a lot of 4i from the tee. Most holes it still leaves a wedge of some flavor. It takes a lot of crazy low scores off the table but it also takes the crazy high ones off too. My horrible strikes are high toes that go 150 and are in the left side of the fairway. Horrible strikes with driver go OB. Minimize damages. He plays all sports that way and it damn near netted him a perfect game. I played semi-pro baseball for a year and hes already doing things I couldnt because I wanted to overpower and strike out everyone I faced. He used finesse and control to strike out 18/22 batters today. He paints the corner with a pitch thats going away from it. Inside on a right handed batter also drops while outside (seems to, we all know the physics) rises.

Again, more of a proud dad post than anything. Hes matured into a mental giant and just 2-3 years ago he was in danger of being cut because of his attitude. He still competes with everything he has but hes grown away from melting down when it goes bad.

BTW- after losing the perfect game he struck out the next kid, their 4th batter, on 3 pitches. A 100 years ago when I played Id have beaned the next kid on general principle alone, lol.

5. The Following User Says Thank You to Smiter For This Useful Post:

tequila4kapp (04-07-2019)

Handicap
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    7,558 Posts
    Will be coaching my daughter's 8U baseball and 9U softball this year. I have a feeling I'm going to regret it.

Sent from my SM-G960U using Tapatalk
    In my Players 5 Stand Bag:
    Driver: M1 430 (2016)
    3-Wood: Super S Speedline 15*

Hybrid: Red 20*
    Irons: CB PROh 4 Tour Preferred CB 2014 (5-PW)
    Wedges: TGS Tour Grind 431 52*/56*/60*
    Putter: Spider Limited
    Red w/
    Flatso Ultra

Major Champion
    Handicap
    USGA 15.6
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    10,535 Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by moosejaa View Post
    Will be coaching my daughter's 8U baseball and 9U softball this year. I have a feeling I'm going to regret it.

Sent from my SM-G960U using Tapatalk
    No, you are going to enjoy it.
    Captain, Team THP in the 2018 Grandaddy
    #100Birdies10kLaughs

Team THP:
    PhillyV (The AssCap), ArmyGolf, dacatalyst41, Shanewu, BlueHen2006, KEV, mpeterson, Boder, Phil75070, rogt, ttucliffhanger, dazeedmonds

In my Shadow Fuse or Alpha Convoy Grandaddy cart bag:
    Driver: EPIC Flash Sub Zero, Project X Smoke, 6.0
    FW: EPIC Flash, Project X Smoke, 6.0
    Hybrids: Apex 3h & 4h, PX Catalyst 6.0
    Irons: Apex Forged '19, UST Recoil ZT9 460, F3
    Wedges: 54* MD4 and 58* PM Grind 2.0, UST Recoil 95, F3 (tipped)
    Putter: Toulon Memphis
    Ball: Chrome Soft CS Truvis and ERC

Major Champion
    Handicap
    USGA 15.6
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    10,535 Posts
    My team won its second game very handily but not nearly as cleanly as I would have expected. I suppose it's a sign of our improvement that we are beating lesser teams and the coaches are concerned about things like dugout behavior and staying mentally focused when well ahead, instead of the outcome of the game. The girls have definitely improved since fall, which is great. But they don't realize how good they could be if they tightened the other stuff up, which is frustrating. Also, my daughter just doesn't have the mental toughness I had as a player and that's going to really limit her as a player. Sad but true.
    #100Birdies10kLaughs

Team THP:
    PhillyV (The AssCap), ArmyGolf, dacatalyst41, Shanewu, BlueHen2006, KEV, mpeterson, Boder, Phil75070, rogt, ttucliffhanger, dazeedmonds

9. The Following User Says Thank You to tequila4kapp For This Useful Post:

mikeg_74 (04-30-2019)

Major Champion
    Handicap
    USGA 15.6
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    10,535 Posts
    My team won its first softball tournament ever last weekend. It was one of the most gratifying things ever - just super happy for the girls and really proud of them, too. I had to choke some things down so it didn't get all misty in public.
    #100Birdies10kLaughs

Team THP:

11. The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to tequila4kapp For This Useful Post:

deuce (04-26-2019), mikeg_74 (04-30-2019)

#JakeNation

Handicap
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    33,856 Posts
    My little 4yo Lotte has asked 7 times now to start going golfing. Going to take her to one of the local pros this summer whos amazing (she really is amazing) and see how it goes.

Rule will be though, when shes at peak fun and enjoyment, we are done that day. Sports for youth needs to be happy thoughts, not work. Theyre kids after all.
    WITB:
    TaylorMade
    - M5 10.5 -
    ACCRA TZ5 Custom
    TaylorMade - Original One 13.5 - Fujikura Evolution V X
    PING - G410 19.0/22.0 - Alta CB 70S
    Callaway - Apex CF19 Combo 5-PW - True Temper Elevate X100
    Cleveland - RTX4 Raw 48M/54M/60XL - DG TI S400
    SWAG
    - Tour Proto Handsome One

Taylormade - 2019 TP5x

13. The Following User Says Thank You to Jman For This Useful Post:

mikeg_74 (04-30-2019)

Handicap
    My Swing
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    11,643 Posts
    Im having a lot of fun coaching both my soccer teams. This me with my U-8 team after a hard fought 1-0 win this past Saturday. Puts us in 2nd place, 2 points out of 1st with two games to go.

Stroke Lab Marxman
    Chrome Soft **

15. The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to mikeg_74 For This Useful Post:

CobraX51 (06-25-2019), tequila4kapp (05-03-2019)

Handicap
    My Swing
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    99 Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by mikeg_74 View Post
    Mostly closing in space & winning the 50/50 balls
    The best two drills I use for soccer to show that hustle will be rewarded.

1st is easy; a basic chase down drill two teams. Team 1 starts just before the mid field on left sideline and the second line stats at the goalie box on right sideline. one kid from team1 has to dribble and score a goal while the one kid on team2 has to sprint to catch up and stop the shot. I keep score on defensive stops and goals, the team that loses has to do 2 laps of pitch and 10 pushups. Then I run it back 4 times with the teams switching defense to offense on each.
    What this does is show that even though a kid with the ball is yards ahead of you, you are still able to catch them before the goal because the kid needs to dribble and run, while you can sprint. Also it runs them hard, which in turn makes them not want to loose the drill because it involves more running. I do it in a team way as to keep the "slackers" held accountable by his peers on his team.

2nd drill; same idea of team accountability and score keeping. I take the small folding goals face them back to back towards the side line just about past the goalie box them move them apart about 5 kids wide put a cone in center circle. Team1 left sideline Team2 right, one kid from each line up at baseline. When I say "go" I kick a ball 5 feet from the baseline, they then have to run to the midfield line to the cone and get the ball before the other kid. They have to battle each other to get the ball and can score on either small goal. Again if one team loses, 2 laps 10 pushups.

Now I make the teams even, and I pair each kid in the drill evenly so its as close to a 50/50 chance as it can be.

For basketball I do the same concept of team accountability, and punishment :), and try to show that if they give hard effort, that those 50/50 plays will end up 90/10 plays in their favor.
    Inside my Moonlite Bag
    Hot Launch 2
    G20 5 wood
    FL Ultralight 7 wood
    5-GW D350 (new)
    4-PW Pro Combo Forged (replaced)
    52 & 56 Mack Daddy Forged
    60 Mack Daddy 3
    Spider Tour Diamond
    Duo Soft (benched for now)
    Maxfli Tour

17. The Following User Says Thank You to -CJ- For This Useful Post:

mikeg_74 (04-30-2019)

Club Pro
    Handicap
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    123 Posts
    I’m having a lot of fun coaching both my soccer teams. This me with my U-8 team after a hard fought 1-0 win this past Saturday. Puts us in 2nd place, 2 points out of 1st with two games to go.

Looks like everyone is having fun, even the coach! Thanks for the update, and keep it going!
    Driver: Cobra F6+
    3W: TEE EX10 Beta
    5W: In ponder mode
    Irons: Srixon Z-565 (4-6) & Z-765 (7-PW)
    Wedges: Cleveland RTX-3 CB 50*; Cleveland RTX-3 MB 54*; Taylormade RAC 58*
    Putter: Currently testing Ben Hogan BHM01

19. The Following User Says Thank You to gkeller813 For This Useful Post:

PhillyV (06-25-2019)

My Friends Call Me Big Time Nate's Avatar
    Handicap
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    12,233 Posts
    So posted in here a few months that my 13 year old (06) was looking for a club soccer team to play on this year. She has been practicing with one 06 team the last few months and liked the girls, coach, etc. but we knew something was up when only 7-9 girls would show up to practice. I chalked it up to end of school year, many were playing middle school soccer and then summer activities. Well, the coach put the hammer down a few weeks ago and disbanned the team due to lack of support and participation. Apparently, they had issues getting parents/girls to game last spring and played many of them with no subs or short handed.

But this club has other teams and she was invited to play up (05) to see if she liked it. This club has 2 05 teams (A/B teams). She, along with 3 other girls from the 06 team, has been practicing with them the last few weeks and while it is faster she's hanging in there so far. They have 2-3 coaches and it's a little more of a serious vibe surrounding these teams. Practices have been good, a mix of skills and scrimmages. My biggest concern is playing time, esp. playing up. By my count it looks like there might be 17-18 per team.

Her middle school coach manages and coaches a few teams from the FC Dallas org. He has been trying to get a 07 team together. So he invited her out this week to practice with them. If he gets enough he's considering playing his team up in the 06 division which she could then play on. The girls will be younger but skill wise I'm sure they are pretty good considering he might play them up. We'll see how practice goes this week but I'm trying to stay out of it and let her make the decision on what she wants to do. She's already in that stage of she knows best so I will have to watch how I interject in the coming days.

So all you coaches out there in soccer or other sports: pros/cons for the following:

A. Playing up with girls a year older, 2 teams (most likely will be on the B team); 3 coaches, girls faster and skilled, bigger bench so playing time a question, closer to home

B. Playing with middle school coach, younger girls but skilled, smaller bench so possibly more playing time

21. The Following User Says Thank You to Nate For This Useful Post:

CobraX51 (06-25-2019)

Handicap
    My Swing
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    11,643 Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by Nate View Post
    So posted in here a few months that my 13 year old (06) was looking for a club soccer team to play on this year. She has been practicing with one 06 team the last few months and liked the girls, coach, etc. but we knew something was up when only 7-9 girls would show up to practice. I chalked it up to end of school year, many were playing middle school soccer and then summer activities. Well, the coach put the hammer down a few weeks ago and disbanned the team due to lack of support and participation. Apparently, they had issues getting parents/girls to game last spring and played many of them with no subs or short handed.

But this club has other teams and she was invited to play up (05) to see if she liked it. This club has 2 05 teams (A/B teams). She, along with 3 other girls from the 06 team, has been practicing with them the last few weeks and while it is faster she's hanging in there so far. They have 2-3 coaches and it's a little more of a serious vibe surrounding these teams. Practices have been good, a mix of skills and scrimmages. My biggest concern is playing time, esp. playing up. By my count it looks like there might be 17-18 per team.

Her middle school coach manages and coaches a few teams from the FC Dallas org. He has been trying to get a 07 team together. So he invited her out this week to practice with them. If he gets enough he's considering playing his team up in the 06 division which she could then play on. The girls will be younger but skill wise I'm sure they are pretty good considering he might play them up. We'll see how practice goes this week but I'm trying to stay out of it and let her make the decision on what she wants to do. She's already in that stage of she knows best so I will have to watch how I interject in the coming days.

So all you coaches out there in soccer or other sports: pros/cons for the following:

A. Playing up with girls a year older, 2 teams (most likely will be on the B team); 3 coaches, girls faster and skilled, bigger bench so playing time a question, closer to home

B. Playing with middle school coach, younger girls but skilled, smaller bench so possibly more playing time
    Get the Titos ready and we can chat Saturday when I get there.

Stroke Lab Marxman
    Chrome Soft **

My Friends Call Me Big Time Nate's Avatar
    Handicap
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    12,233 Posts
    Get the Tito’s ready and we can chat Saturday when I get there.
    Ha-Ha, that's about the time she will need to decide! I'm pretty sure which direction I want her to go but we shall see.

Handicap
    My Swing
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    11,643 Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by Nate View Post
    Ha-Ha, that's about the time she will need to decide! I'm pretty sure which direction I want her to go but we shall see.
    I always lean playing up to help build her skills and see what she has to work on.

The only thing that would make me lean playing at her age with potentially you her girls is the playing time and the chance to learn the nuances of the game, but again I would love to sit down and chat with her Saturday to pick her brain as my idlest is about to go through this next spring

Stroke Lab Marxman
    Chrome Soft **