Leupold GX-212 Laser Rangefinder Preview

JB

Follow @THPGolf on Social Media
Albatross 2024 Club
Staff member
Reaction score
This is a press release

Leupold's® new GX®-2i2 comes packed with advanced technology that enables golfers to easily customize the rangefinder to their individual needs and use it as a handy tool to improve scores and speed up pace of play. GX®-2i2 is now widely available from Leupold GX dealers and online retailers.

According to a recent United States Golf Association decision, tournament use of GX-2i2 is permitted under the Rules of Golf when a Local Rule is in effect (see USGA Decision 14-3/0.5) and the device is not used in True Golf Range™ (TGR®) mode. TGR allows golfers to compensate for uphill shots that play long and downhill shots that play short.

"Our new GX-2i2 laser rangefinder offers all the features and benefits of our most sophisticated technology," said Rob Morrison, vice president, global marketing for Leupold & Stevens, Inc. "GX-2i2 provides the ultimate in customization for golfers of all skill levels who want to shave strokes off their game and get around the course faster. It's like having a personal caddie at your fingertips that can take the measure of a course and really knows your game."

A recent update to Leupold's high-performance DNA® (Digitally eNhanced Accuracy) engine and an advanced infrared laser empower the GX-2i2 to deliver faster measurements with accuracy displayed to the nearest half yard.

With Leupold's TGR and Club Selector™ features, GX-2i2 takes customization to an elite level by providing accurate ranging information matched to the slope of the shot, atmospheric conditions and a golfer's personal hitting strength. TGR displays the adjusted "plays like" range, calculated from the laser-measured line-of-sight distance, incline or decline, trajectory of the ball, current temperature, and specific altitude. Club Selector factors in the golfer's specific hitting strength and TGR to the target, automatically recommending the proper club for each shot. Users simply input their personal striking distance for three specific clubs and the GX-2i2 does the rest, even indicating when the distance falls between clubs.

Other key features include PinHunter® 2 Laser Technology, which effectively filters out large background objects and zeroes in on the flag or pin for extremely precise and fast target acquisition. In addition, heightened sensitivity of the rangefinder's Prism Lock Technology™ allows golfers to get their distances easily, quickly and with extreme accuracy when a course is outfitted with reflective prisms. Maximum ranging distance on prisms is 800 yards.

GX-2i2 also offers fog mode to cut through mist and provide fast, accurate distance measurements. The rangefinder has 6X magnification and a one-touch scan mode that allows users to sweep the landscape while continuously measuring distance. Golfers can select from seven aiming reticles, choosing the one which works best for the intended target and usage. Distance can be displayed in yards or meters.

Built to Leupold's exacting standards for ruggedness, GX-2i2 is compact, weighing just 6.8 ounces, and measuring only 4.2 inches long, 3.0 inches high and 1.6 inches wide. Additional features include multi-coated lenses for a crystal-clear image, a new high-definition LCD display and fold-down rubber eyecups. Each rangefinder is waterproof and comes with a Cordura® case, battery, lanyard and complete instructions.

LEU_GX2i2_angle-530x480.jpg

I've always been intrigued by these. I know they work ans are compact but neither has given me that over whelming feeling to use. No rational for it just haven't acted.

Do competitors have a "club selector" feature also or is this new technology?

That's pretty damn cool. When it starts taking into account the wind then I'll take the plunge.

Do competitors have a "club selector" feature also or is this new technology?
The older Leupold I had offered that feature. I'm not aware of any others that do. Here's the thing that matters most to me with this brand - how easy/hard is it to lock on the pin? I struggled with my prior model on that front. They talk about improved prism lock. That's great. But if you don't play courses that use prisms in the flag you need to be able to lock on to the flag. I'd like to see feedback on that front. That aside, these are great devices - they have a huge following among hunters here in the PNW because they are bomb proof and their other tech is great.

Another nice offering from Leupold. Their range finders are really, really nice. I prefer them to that other brand :wink:

The older Leupold I had offered that feature. I'm not aware of any others that do. Here's the thing that matters most to me with this brand - how easy/hard is it to lock on the pin? I struggled with my prior model on that front. They talk about improved prism lock. That's great. But if you don't play courses that use prisms in the flag you need to be able to lock on to the flag. I'd like to see feedback on that front. That aside, these are great devices - they have a huge following among hunters here in the PNW because they are bomb proof and their other tech is great.

My Leupold GX-3i2 is certainly just as fast and just as easy to lock on a flag that my Bushnell Tour Z6. Mine instantly picks up flags from 300+ yards with ease. I prefer the Leopold audible beep plus rounding over the Jolt of the Z6. For example, when you point it at a flag it will initially read in decimals such as 127.3. If you hold it their for another second(or less) it will beep and round the distance to 127. If it's giving you a whole number, it's a visual confirmation of being locked on the flag. The optics and clarity of display are better than my Z6 and the size is smaller as well - it fits in my pocket easily. The main reason I got rid of my Z6 a month or so after I bought it is it was worthless in fog, which is common in the mornings where I live. The Leopold is the only brand I have owned(Bushnell, Nikon) that works well in the fog.

Another nice offering from Leupold. Their range finders are really, really nice. I prefer them to that other brand :wink:

Me too, by a long shot. I've never had issues locking onto pins with my Leupold (not calling anybody a liar, just saying it's never been a problem for me). It also helps that the other brand is marketed way heavier so you can usually get better deals on these.

My Leupold GX-3i2 is certainly just as fast and just as easy to lock on a flag that my Bushnell Tour Z6. Mine instantly picks up flags from 300+ yards with ease. I prefer the Leopold audible beep plus rounding over the Jolt of the Z6. For example, when you point it at a flag it will initially read in decimals such as 127.3. If you hold it their for another second(or less) it will beep and round the distance to 127. If it's giving you a whole number, it's a visual confirmation of being locked on the flag. The optics and clarity of display are better than my Z6 and the size is smaller as well - it fits in my pocket easily. The main reason I got rid of my Z6 a month or so after I bought it is it was worthless in fog, which is common in the mornings where I live. The Leopold is the only brand I have owned(Bushnell, Nikon) that works well in the fog.

Also this, so much this. Fog mode is legit.

I love their rifle scopes....lasers?...haven't tried one...yet.

I love their rifle scopes....lasers?...haven't tried one...yet.

Do it! They're excellent range finders. I'm almost tempted to swap the 3i2 for this one. I like the inconspicuous look better than the shiny look.

Ok with a show of hands whose Leupold gives an audible beep when it locks on a flag, I've never heard of this, mine ONLY locks if their is a prism on the flag

Love my Leupold, great rangefinder. Mine is a couple years old and has the club selector tech but I find it pretty useless. Rarely do I get to play with no breeze so that is a variable it just can't figure in. That and there is no way to update the club options.

The other tech is rock solid and the fog mode is legit. Only had it not work once, and that was on the Oregon coast where our foursome could barely pick up the flag on most holes when we got inside 100 yards due to heavy fog with mist.

Did I miss the price on this in the original post? Don't need a new rangefinder, but curious as to how this compares to the latest Bushnell offering.

Me too, by a long shot. I've never had issues locking onto pins with my Leupold (not calling anybody a liar, just saying it's never been a problem for me). It also helps that the other brand is marketed way heavier so you can usually get better deals on these.

When you say locking onto pins, what exactly is letting you know that you are locked?

Love my Leupold, great rangefinder. Mine is a couple years old and has the club selector tech but I find it pretty useless. Rarely do I get to play with no breeze so that is a variable it just can't figure in. That and there is no way to update the club options.

The other tech is rock solid and the fog mode is legit. Only had it not work once, and that was on the Oregon coast where our foursome could barely pick up the flag on most holes when we got inside 100 yards due to heavy fog with mist.

Did I miss the price on this in the original post? Don't need a new rangefinder, but curious as to how this compares to the latest Bushnell offering.

I've seen it for around $329

Back