THP Lesson Thread

Had my first lesson with Erika since last summer. My main concern was I pulling my irons quite a bit and she quickly identified the issue.

She noticed right away that my front knee was moving forward, causing my body to go in two different directions and then forcing my hands to catch up and get through the zone before my hips opened up.

She had me turn my right (front) foot in a little to the left and focus my weight on my left (back) heel. From there making sure I started the swing with my hands back, getting my head to slide back slightly and really get a good shoulder turn. From there, really explode through the swing and finish with my hips facing the target and my weight in my front foot.

The result was a consistent ball flight - a nice baby draw and saw a nice distance increase. Gone was the pulls and the swing overall felt connected.

She gave me a drill to do in a doorway and I have some work to do on the range.

The really nice feedback was at the end she simply said, " I am not sure you physically could have done the changes I am implementing - last year. It is obvious that you worked hard this offseason and these changes are going to be easy for you to make." More motivation right there.

Last edited:
Another lesson scheduled for Thur. I want to continue working on the small changes in my swing from last lesson and also,get that to transfer to my driver. I have a tendency to try and kill the driver which my goal is to maintain same swing as my irons

I have no luck when it comes to instructors. Was playing 18 today when the guy I was supposed to meet this afternoon for a lesson calls. He's leaving his position as the golf pro at the CC and taking a new job elsewhere. Said he could fit me in for one lesson before he leaves. I told him thanks but no thanks as I want some consistency. I guess I can go back to the previous guy, though I thought he was a bit too hands off for me. Not sure where else to find an instructor in the immediate area.

I have no luck when it comes to instructors. Was playing 18 today when the guy I was supposed to meet this afternoon for a lesson calls. He's leaving his position as the golf pro at the CC and taking a new job elsewhere. Said he could fit me in for one lesson before he leaves. I told him thanks but no thanks as I want some consistency. I guess I can go back to the previous guy, though I thought he was a bit too hands off for me. Not sure where else to find an instructor in the immediate area.

That really sucks man. Hope you find a good instructor soon, tough when they keep jumping around like that!

That really sucks man. Hope you find a good instructor soon, tough when they keep jumping around like that!

Yeah, this bites. The only other guy I know locally teaches The Golfing Machine method and frankly, I don't think I want any part of that.

Go back and plain what you expect from the old instructor. He should fall into line for you, if he wants your buisness

Had an hour lesson today to continue working on getting club square at impact and eliminating my pull. Started off hitting wedge to warm up then moved to 7i. As I have seen with changes from my last lesson my miss has become a push. After watching my swing and capturing my swing on video club face was open at impact. Although I was making center or close to center contact most of the time the open face was mainly my issue. We worked on something's from my previous lesson then moved onto the driver since I struggled with that last couple times out.

with driver we worked on getting my backswing shorter and getting face more square. After a few swings and watching video my instructor made a tweak in my takeaway that had me getting the face more square and was hitting a lot more straight or slight draws.

Have a couple drills to continue working on at home and things to use during practice on the range. I'm happy with how things are progressing and getting to the point where I can get to just playing golf on the course and worrying about a bunch if swing thoughts.

At least you didn't have anybody tell you not to come back I have a buddy that has been fired by a couple of teachers and thrown out of a bettinardi putter fitting lol

I had a lesson a couple weeks ago. Coach started on short game as we have played a good bit of golf together. Been practicing my drills. Getting more consistent every week.

I've actually cancelled a lesson. I haven't been able to get enough practice time to make any progress on the previous lesson. Went to play 9 on the SIM and noticed the same problems. I need to stop going to the SIM after long days, I just get tired and lazy and it reflects in my swing.

At least you didn't have anybody tell you not to come back I have a buddy that has been fired by a couple of teachers and thrown out of a bettinardi putter fitting lol

What in the hell did he do to get that treatment? Lol

Finally got lesson #1 with Scott over at Windmill Lakes Golf Center scheduled. This Monday at 5:15pm. Really looking forward to it and the guy comes highly regarding from both Misike and a buddy at work.

Hoping to get back to playing good-ish golf again

Looking like choice weather this week, so I'm going to take a stab at scheduling a lesson at my home course on greenside bunker play only this week. It has been dragging my game down for way too long, and it has to stop. Looking forward to getting it fixed, and hopefully tuning up my full swing as well.

Lesson 1 in the books. 50 minutes turned into 90. Scott is a great guy (has worked with thpets before) and did a great job of keeping it simple and easy to comprehend.
Slight tweak to my grip to start.
Then worked on setup and making sure i keep knees flexed but not hunched over the ball.
Then the bulk of the lesson was on the swing. My main issues are:
1. Hunching over the ball on the down swing leaves the club nowhere to go and leads to the nasty reroute.
2. Sliding the lower body back and then forth on the down swing, basically not rotating my hips at all.
3. I have to stop holding onto the club theough impact and let my hands release the club. He said that is the primary factor in my shots leaking right regularly.

Felt pretty good at the end and Scott said he was real impressed with how quick we were able to make the changes. Saw some really solid shots eapecially with 7I and wedge. Driver i took 5 or 6 swings with and still got some work to Do there. Looking forward to getting to the range after i get back from cali and working on all of this.
He also said standard length and lie is not for me but we would revisit that after a few more lessons.

All in all a good start

Nice, sounds like a good instructor, glad you made some quick progress.

Thats fantastic 441. Hopefully you will have a chance to practice what was taught so it sets in for you.

Thats fantastic 441. Hopefully you will have a chance to practice what was taught so it sets in for you.
Thats the plan starting next week..2 to 3 nights a week just working on it

Lesson 1 in the books. 50 minutes turned into 90. Scott is a great guy (has worked with thpets before) and did a great job of keeping it simple and easy to comprehend.
Then worked on setup and making sure i keep knees flexed but not hunched over the ball.
1. Hunching over the ball on the down swing leaves the club nowhere to go and leads to the nasty reroute.
2. Sliding the lower body back and then forth on the down swing, basically not rotating my hips at all.
3. I have to stop holding onto the club theough impact and let my hands release the club. He said that is the primary factor in my shots leaking right regularly.

Felt pretty good at the end and Scott said he was real impressed with how quick we were able to make the changes. Saw some really solid shots eapecially with 7I and wedge. Driver i took 5 or 6 swings with and still got some work to Do there. Looking forward to getting to the range after i get back from cali and working on all of this.
He also said standard length and lie is not for me but we would revisit that after a few more lessons.

All in all a good start
Sounds like you will be ready come June

Thats the plan starting next week..2 to 3 nights a week just working on it

Thats great man. I know its something you have wanted to start working on for a while now. Congrats.

love it 441. looking forward to seeing your progress sometime soon.

i'd like to get a lesson in before we leave for vacation next month, just so i can make sure i'm staying on the right path. just not sure where the time is going to come from between now and then!

All in all a good start

Glad you too hit it off. I really also liked him. He really set me straight a few weeks before #TheGrandaddy. I'll be setting up another lesson with him soon.

Does he use any trackman/flightscope in his lessons?

Does he use any trackman/flightscope in his lessons?

They have Trackman available for use. For my first lesson we did not use it. If I remember correctly, he told me it was an option if I wanted it, same as video recording.

Back