JB

Follow @THPGolf on Social Media
Albatross 2024 Club
Staff member
Reaction score
What is everyone's thoughts on Lefty this year? My prediction is 2 wins with neither being a major. Although I suspect he will contend in Augusta and finish top 5.

It will be his worst year yet. Rather than retiring gracefully, he will slowly fade away and prove himself increasingly more and more irrelevant.

• Admin
Julie,
I do not even believe he is 40 yet. (39 IIRC). I do not think retirement is going to happen anytime soon.

Julie,
I do not even believe he is 40 yet. (39 IIRC). I do not think retirement is going to happen anytime soon.

Yep, and his seasons will just get worse and worse and worse, unless he takes a break or something.

(He will be 40 on June 16, 2010.)

• Admin
THere are few golfers that just retire anymore. Just play until they can hit the Champions Tour. I do not think Phil could play any less than he already does. He has such a light schedule now.

THere are few golfers that just retire anymore.

I can't remember who, but he was a big star back in the day. It may have been Sam Snead, but I'm not sure. For the sake of argument, let's say this story is about Sam Snead. A reporter asked him when he was going to retire, and Sam said something along the lines of: "Why would I retire? All I do now is golf and fish."

I can't remember who, but he was a big star back in the day. It may have been Sam Snead, but I'm not sure. For the sake of argument, let's say this story is about Sam Snead. A reporter asked him when he was going to retire, and Sam said something along the lines of: "Why would I retire? All I do now is golf and fish."

How could you tell if he retired from golfing and fishing?

An old reporter buddy of mine spent his later working years doing articles on "creative retirement." He'd go to senior tennis camp, go on cruises for free as the spare man who danced with all the older women, all sorts of crazy things--and then write about it. I kept wondering what HE did when he went on vacation.

I actually agree with Julie in that he will be less and less of a factor as time goes on. I predict that his world ranking will continue to drop. He won't retire but his best days are behind him. He just doesn't seem hungry to win anymore.

Phil is a trainwreck. He isnt going to win at all this year. His tee shots are all over the place, his shortgame isnt anything near what it used to be and he cant seem to sink a putt over 7' and until he gets the mental aspect of his game figured out, things arent going to change.

I really don't think Phil really has a desire to put in the work to stay on top anymore. His priorities seem to be his family and not golf. He appears not to be practing nor working out, I think he'll continue to play the game his way with taking chances just for the fun of it. If it works out great if not oh well that's fine too. Hey it's not like he needs the cash and no matter how hard to practices or works out he'll not top Tiger on a regular basis. Honestly I think we care far more then he does at this point.

I really don't think Phil really has a desire to put in the work to stay on top anymore. His priorities seem to be his family and not golf. He appears not to be practiing nor work out, I think he'll continue to play the game his way with taking chances just for the fun of it. If it works out great if not oh well that's fine too. Hey it's not like he needs the cash and not matter how hard to practices or works out he'll not top Tiger on a regular basis. Honestly I think we care far more then he does at this point.

I would have figured with a name like LefTe you would be contractually obligated to root for Phil, hehehe.

Good points in your post, seems the same way to me.

Disagree with many of you. I think Phil will rise to the occasion and go on a streak at some point for a couple of wins. He still makes marvelous recovery shots and thrills me more than many of the others. He makes golf more exciting and I root for him every week.

Perhaps, but exciting doesnt win tourneys, consistency does and right now Phil has absolutely zero consistency.

He does have more opportunities to make those exciting recovery shots...

Good points though, braveheart.

I really don't think Phil really has a desire to put in the work to stay on top anymore. His priorities seem to be his family and not golf. He appears not to be practing nor working out, I think he'll continue to play the game his way with taking chances just for the fun of it. If it works out great if not oh well that's fine too. Hey it's not like he needs the cash and no matter how hard to practices or works out he'll not top Tiger on a regular basis. Honestly I think we care far more then he does at this point.

Totally agree, Phil seems to love taking chances, big risk/reward shots. I like watching him play whether he's winning or not.

Disagree with many of you. I think Phil will rise to the occasion and go on a streak at some point for a couple of wins. He still makes marvelous recovery shots and thrills me more than many of the others. He makes golf more exciting and I root for him every week.

It wouldn't shock me either that he pulls one out. I just don't think it's all that important to him. He does make it a little more fun trying to pull off shots that no one in their right mind would.

not sure if he'll get a major this year... he'll start to pick his game up but ever since the collapse at Winged Foot he just hasn't been the same.

I'd have to agree with that statement, I think it was the only time he ever questioned his judgement on a course. He refered to himself as an idiot if memory serves me right. However that said I heard an interview with him years back where he made the statement that he didn't care if he ever won just as long as he could play the game the way he wanted. He then went to talk about making shots that everyone thought of as risky or even outrageous because to him that is the real fun part of golf, the risk taking. So with that in mind it kind of shows you why he does what he does, I have to admit I love watching him try goofy shots that make no sense. Every once in awhile I'll try something completely out of left field on a course just to do it, I got to admit it's fun.

I'd have to agree with that statement, I think it was the only time he ever questioned his judgement on a course. He refered to himself as an idiot if memory serves me right. However that said I heard an interview with him years back where he made the statement that he didn't care if he ever won just as long as he could play the game the way he wanted. He then went to talk about making shots that everyone thought of as risky or even outrageous because to him that is the real fun part of golf, the risk taking. So with that in mind it kind of shows you why he does what he does, I have to admit I love watching him try goofy shots that make no sense. Every once in awhile I'll try something completely out of left field on a course just to do it, I got to admit it's fun.

he's certainly fun to watch though.... his reaction to that slice was like "oh man, what the *((() I am such a moron..."

I would have figured with a name like LefTe you would be contractually obligated to root for Phil, hehehe.

I was but Callaway's check didn't arrive this month..something about another Lefty's endorcement check almost broke the bank. So ole Phil's on his own.

I don't see Phil winning any tournaments unless the field is extremely weak. IMO, Phil has converted his entire game mechanically. He used to be a feel play, but now everything is two drivers, customized driver, putter stance open 1 degree, etc. etc.

Besides him not winning any tournaments, I don't feel that he will play within the top 20 in any major this year.

What's this not only did he win but came from behind and on the 18th played very conservative??????????????? Who was that man?? I thought he played 16 & 17 like expected, he knew what he had to do and did it. All joking aside when he played 18 that conservative it really surprized me. However all that being said or does he really need help with the flat stick so erradic when he's on like Saturday I think he could putt while being blindfolded then yesterday I think Jake from the old show Becker could putt better. I'm not smart enough to make the call but is Pelz really who he should be working with??????

I was surprised he had the ability to take the driver out of his hands... it is funny listening to the televised commentary. I forget what hole it was but on one tee shot (the hole with double fairways) he simply SLICED the ball left and they were like "oh he cut that ball a little to much"... do they ever use slice/shank on the TV?

I was surprised he had the ability to take the driver out of his hands... it is funny listening to the televised commentary. I forget what hole it was but on one tee shot (the hole with double fairways) he simply SLICED the ball left and they were like "oh he cut that ball a little to much"... do they ever use slice/shank on the TV?

It is funny..I think I'll start using that on the course...oh I cut that one a might bit to much. FORE!!!!!!!!!!!!!! Hey another might be wicked awesome cut eh!

Not only did he win, he did so in a pretty good fielded event. I predicted a good year from him and I still think that will be the case.

Back