LPGA: SBS at Turtle Bay [spoilers forthcoming]

Harry Longshanks

ILikeBigPutts&ICannotLie
Reaction score
The first round pairings have been announced and posted on lpga.com:
http://www.lpgascoring.com/18437/pairings/index.html

Coverage starts at 6:30 p.m. ET, which is 1:30 p.m. in Hawaii.

Some notable pairings:

Start Time : 8:20 AM
In-Kyung Kim
Paula Creamer
Suzann Pettersen

Start Time : 8:30 AM
Stacy Prammanasudh
Cristie Kerr
Shanshan Feng

Start Time : 12:30 PM
Morgan Pressel
Sophie Gustafson
Natalie Gulbis

Start Time : 12:40 PM
Dorothy Delasin
Stacy Lewis
Vicky Hurst

Start Time : 12:50 PM
Michelle Wie
Haeji Kang
Jin Young Pak

Start Time : 1:30 PM
Anna Rawson
Paige Mackenzie
Amy Yang
So it looks like, in the first round, we will get a summary of Creamer's and Petterson's day, with a healthy live dose of Pressel, Gulbis, Wie, Hurst, Lewis, Rawson, and hopefully Mackenzie.

EDIT:

I am curious why this is a 3-round tournament that starts on Thursday and ends on Saturday. Does it have something to do with the Asian sponsor and viewership?

I wondered about the timing of it as well. I don't think Sunday has any particular meaning in Asia.

I've understood it's to allow for live coverage in primetime for Japanese TV.

I am waaaaaaaaaaaay too excited about this tournament.
dork.gif

According to the leaderboard on lpga.com, Wie just birdied the first hole.

(Of course, now I've probably jinxed her.)

Love Wie's outfit today. GG needs that Nike VR hat.

Love seening Morgan P hit driver off the deck.

Love Wie's outfit today.

I was waiting until I finished watching the broadcast to post the exact same thing.

In fact, ALL of the ladies looked really well-dressed today. Lots of good colors, classy outfits, and I didn't see anything frumpy. I guess the LPGA has been reading me again.

Harry's Fashion Tip of the Day: For professionals, I don't think you can overestimate the importance of matching the hat to the outfit.

Love seening Morgan P hit driver off the deck.

Too bad about the penalty stroke though.

I know that the players with early tee times scored better, but I didn't hear why. Was it afternoon winds?

capt.66c3ce2a7fa14f03a6e2edabfcdc4f24.lpga_tour_golf_himg112.jpg
capt.5bb28ea2eb7e4c499eadfdc58f5bf501.lpga_tour_golf_himg116.jpg
capt.d3f40c65ebcb45c4ad08aa98b3e0429c.lpga_tour_golf_himg111.jpg

(I'm gonna just keep babbling along here until someone interrupts me.)

80142.jpg

Brittany Lincicome: +9 and T134. What has happened to Lincicome? Two years ago, she seemed poised to make a run for the top of the rankings. Now she can't seem to play well. Too bad, I liked her.

82893.jpg

Anna Rawson: +8 and T130. A little post-controversy hangover it seems after a good showing at the ANZ Masters.

88106.jpg

Michelle Wie: -6 and T2. Only one shot back and the best score from the afternoon tee times. Now, is there anyone who isn't thinking "Oh crap, I wonder what is going to happen this time?" Yeah, me too. I hope not though.

80903.jpg

Juli Inkster: -3 and T6. Just for Claire.

Vicky Hurst: -2 and T11. Wow, she looks way better without the Payne Stewart hat.

80130.jpg

Paula Creamer: -2 and T11. A bit of a slow start, especially considering she had a morning tee time. But I bet she picks it up in the final two rounds.

88105.jpg

Stacy Lewis: -1 and T22. She has mad skils, but at 5'5", it's hard to believe that she's going to be able to keep up with the likes of Creamer, Wie, and Hurst in the long run.

81622.jpg

Suzann Pettersen: +1 and T50. She just hasn't been the same since changing coaches and sponsors. After watching her repeated emotional outbursts at the Evian Masters, I'm not nearly as much of a fan as I used to be.

82827.jpg

Morgan Pressel: +1 and T50. She'd be at even par if it weren't for the penalty stroke assessed when she "stepped on a wire touching her ball, which caused her ball to move." I'm hoping Golf Central gives a little more explanation on that one. Love her self-censoring mouth. Today's gem was "Gosh DARNit!" after a driver off the deck.

EDIT: Watching the evening replay, the evidence (Pressel waiting for a ruling, then a shot of her standing next to a bunch of cables while hitting driver off the deck, then the announcers talking about the penalty), it looks like Pressel's ball probably came to rest against one of the big TV cables, she stepped on the cable at some point, and her ball moved. She was assessed a 1 stoke penalty. Something about that doesn't seem fair, because she would have gotten relief from the cable anyway.

Last edited:
Thanks for all that, Harry. I ddin't get a chance to watch it. On the fashion front: I do wish the players would tuck in their shirts!

Go Michelle!!!

This is why I hate not having the Golf Channel anymore... They switched over to HD, I think, so no more LPGA for me unless I get HD TV...

Go Michelle!!!

This is why I hate not having the Golf Channel anymore... They switched over to HD, I think, so no more LPGA for me unless I get HD TV...

They still broadcast in SD on the same channel number. I have an HDTV in the living room, but an old regular TV in the bedroom. No problems watching TGC on either.

Neither GG and I liked the outfit on Morgan P. It just looked odd, sort of like a dress but not really one.

As for Brittany Lincicome, I can answer her issues to some degree, as she is a local to me and trains with a guy named Matt Mitchell. He works at the same driving range we do a lot of the club testing. It is a large facility that is strictly a driving range and not a course. He is liked by many, but everybody that seems to go to him just does not end up having success in the end. He is a "Tinkerer" that is constantly changing little things about your game. I have been told that some teachers do that to "stay relevant". But we will see her up there a few times a week and her game just looks a little off. I hope she gets it turned around, because she has great natural ability and is a really nice girl.

Sorry I am late to this thread, but I watch everything on DVR, still at work even with the late TV schedule.
Harry, yeah the early morning rounds had better scores because of the wind. They were commenting on how much the wind had picked up. Although, didn't seem to bother Michelle.

Dottie had mentioned, like JB said, the Brittany had done some swing changes before last season and then during to hopefully improve her game "for the long run" so she said they knew it would be a tough year last year. I am sure they were hoping that by this time she would be on her game, hopefully this is just a rusty start.

Great to get some coverage of the new rookies. I think it is going to be a great year for women's golf. My only complaint about these first few tournaments is that they make me want to get out and play, which at the moment is impossible for me!

Never late and always welcomed soxy.

I watched a little of the tourny last night. Morgan looked great, Vicki Hurst looked amazing, and Michelle even looked good. As for the golf it was ok. :tongue: I tuned in right after Michelle went Birdie, Bogey, Birdie.

Not on mine, they don't.

That's crazy! I mean, there are TONS of people who don't have HDTVs. You should call your provider and find out what's up.

When you tune to the channel, it just doesn't show anything?

On ours if you do not have HD, you need to tune to a different channel. For instance 739 is the HD and 67 is the SD.

Back