Golf Channel becomes

Golfgal

Fanatic
Reaction score
Handicap
Exclusive cable home for LPGA.

Finally!

:clapp:

Well, this is a step in right direction. Now how about doing the same for the Futures Tour. They do Nationwide already, so why not Duramed?

And let's get a golfgal to balance golfguys' blog! I volunteer! :comp:

That was great news and we are hoping to have an interview with them later next week about this. However do not hold your breath on the Duramed tour. The ratings would be so low that it would be very hard to get any advertisers.

Yes! Yes! Yes!

Death to the old business model that required the LPGA to buy TV time!!!! Way to go Bivens!

Not to mention that ESPN coverage of the LPGA sucks.

(And I'm with you on GolfGuy's blog.)

Great news. Maybe more tournaments will be aired this year.

Great news. Maybe more tournaments will be aired this year.

http://www.lpga.com/content_1.aspx?pid=18739&mid=1
(slightly different press release from the LPGA)

In 2009, GOLF CHANNEL will televise competition from 12 LPGA Tour events, in addition to the McDonald's LPGA Championship, Presented by Coca-Cola, June 11-14, and The Solheim Cup, Aug. 17-23, from Rich Harvest Farms in Sugar Grove, Ill.

I doubt that they will add more tournaments, but I can definitely see TGC expanding the current coverage in order to promote next year's new contract with the LPGA.

This is also good news:

GOLF CHANNEL will carry three- and four-round coverage of domestic events, including one major championship, and international feeds of LPGA global events, as well as early round coverage of events that will have weekend coverage on other networks.

Hopefully that means better coverage of the Evian Masters, Women's British Open, etc.

It is great for the tour to have this contract, unfortunately for us fans TGC is not my favorite for broadcasting the tournaments. They could make a step in the right direction and hire Judy Rankin to improve their broadcasts. That is what we need, more Judy Rankin!

It is great for the tour to have this contract, unfortunately for us fans TGC is not my favorite for broadcasting the tournaments. They could make a step in the right direction and hire Judy Rankin to improve their broadcasts. That is what we need, more Judy Rankin!

Soxy-

TGC may not have great coverage, but the other options are even worse! ESPN, in particular, is just awful. They never show HD or widescreen, and then they cover up half the screen with garbage:

ESPN2.jpg

vs. TGC:

ESPN.jpg

There is just no excuse for that. Several times when showing a putt, the hole is covered up by a graphic.

ESPN also always allots less time and shows more commercials. The networks do a slightly better job, but still fall short. Now that TGC has gone full-HD, maybe we will get some decent broadcasts.

TGC already has Dottie Pepper, and I would guess (and hope!) that Judy Rankin will come over as well now that TGC is the "exclusive" cable carrier of the LPGA.

I can't really remember anything particularly annoying about the TGC coverage of the LPGA. What was/is it that bugs you?

Gotta love the screen cap and it saying another NFL player in trouble. Obviously from a few years ago.

See being a chick, I don't have a HD tv so that has not been an issue for me! I am not a huge fan of Dottie Pepper, however she is better than Beth Daniels who they will have from time to time. And honestly I think the broadcasts are just so much better with Judy Rankin. She gives us insights into the players as opposed to just "watch this put, now why didn't she...." like Dottie tends to do.
I also feel as if TGC doesn't highlight the players we are the most interested in. I am not sure they time their broadcasts right and we are stuck watching players who aren't in contention or who we don't even know their names.
My other issues are probably more with women's golf broadcasts in general, like you mentioned before, not enough air time.

Gotta love the screen cap and it saying another NFL player in trouble. Obviously from a few years ago.

July 2008.

Im definetly happy to see the LPGA being aired on TGC. In some ways it sucks that it wont be on network TV because not as many non-golfers will watch, but at least now we will actually be able to see the tourneys instead of just seeing highlighted coverage.
Im definetly looking foreward to getting to see Paula and Natalie play more often.

Im definetly happy to see the LPGA being aired on TGC. In some ways it sucks that it wont be on network TV because not as many non-golfers will watch, but at least now we will actually be able to see the tourneys instead of just seeing highlighted coverage.
Im definetly looking foreward to getting to see Paula and Natalie play more often.

Network TV will still have some weekend broadcasts. Probably the same number as before. This is just cable rights. About the same as the PGA deal. (A lot less money obviously.)

If they would only cut their paid programming by 50% heck 20% I'd be happy.

Always nice to see another Judy Rankin fan. I know people love her or hate her; I love her. One thing she's really good at is pointing out specific strategies golfers use. I still remember last year--at one point, Lorena Ochoa was putting from the fringe, and Julie Rankin pointed out that she had her ball a little further back in her stance than usual, to give herself more power without having to hit much harder. DUH! Great tip.

(Edit: the DUH was because "why didn't I figure that out for myself?" not "how obvious")

Beth Daniels can be hard to take. Once she gets really interested in what's happening, she's far more entertaining. Otherwise she just drones. And I love Dottie.

But heck, any coverage the LPGA doesn't have to pay for...

LPGA Signs Largest Contract in Its History

LPGA Signs Largest Contract in Its History

Adding to the good news for the LPGA:
http://www.thegolfchannel.com/tour-insider/shag-bag-blog-28391/

One day after announcing a comprehensive partnership with Golf Channel, the LPGA revealed details of a five-year contract with the J Golf division of JBC, a Korean media conglomerate. The deal will significantly broaden the LPGA's reach in Asia, South Korea and Japan. The agreement also included a five-year commitment from J Golf to underwrite an LPGA event in Southern California. Meanwhile, J Golf has agreed to be the title sponsor for the 2009 Phoenix LPGA International. An official name for this event, which takes place one week before the year's first major – the Kraft Nabisco Championship – will be announced in the near future.

LPGA veteran Sherri Steinhauer termed the developments a "monumental day for us." Commissioner Carolyn Bivens added that the J Golf deal was "the largest contract ever signed in the history of the LPGA."

Perhaps the most important message for the LPGA out of all of this is that the organization has been able to do significant deals in an economic downturn during which many companies are sitting on the sidelines waiting for the financial news to improve before they get into anything new.

As Harry signs up for Rosetta Stone Korean...

As Harry signs up for Rosetta Stone Korean...

If I thought my brain could handle it without imploding, I would. And then I would call the LPGA about a job. (Because, despite my fantasies, they haven't called me yet.)

If I thought my brain could handle it without imploding, I would. And then I would call the LPGA about a job. (Because, despite my fantasies, they haven't called me yet.)

You know I'm not joking here. Network, network, network. You know people (starting with some fellow in Tampa) who know people who know people...

And this is probably the wrong forum for this conversation, but you seriously need to go after this.

You know I'm not joking here. Network, network, network. You know people (starting with some fellow in Tampa) who know people who know people...

And this is probably the wrong forum for this conversation, but you seriously need to go after this.

I don't have the skill set they are probably looking for, if they are even looking for one.

And I'm not sure about Florida for me. I love the city I'm in. If I was going to move, it would either be closer to my family or it would have to be one hell of a job.

Yes! Yes! Yes!

Death to the old business model that required the LPGA to buy TV time!!!! Way to go Bivens!

Not to mention that ESPN coverage of the LPGA sucks.

(And I'm with you on GolfGuy's blog.)

You're my hero Harry :blowkiss:

Back