So This weekend I had a three day weekend. My son Luke is 2 years and 3 months old and it was my wifes and mine mission to potty train him over the weekend...

That's impressive, our son is the exact same age and we haven't even considered starting yet. We thought we'd start when he at least acknowledged he was going in the diaper. Did you have any indications he was ready or just said "we're doing this."?

Sent from my HTC One using Tapatalk

The signs aren't as big as you would think. Simply telling you that he has gone in diaper is a big sign. Like we would go in his room in the morning and he would say "diaper dry" or "I pooped". I think a big help was his daycare. They had been putting him on
the toilet when they were doing bathroom time for the last couple of months and we also would try with him at home. We had no idea what would happen man. If you get a three day weekend I say just go for it. No pants and just make sure he drinks a lot to give him lots of chances to try. If he doesn't respond well just try again in a few weeks. There is a ton of info online of good strategy's to do it over a long weekend. You will go stir crazy though I will warn you. Also once you start it your all in and only diapers at night and naps.

Sent from my XT1254 using Tapatalk

Kiddo has decided again that he won't sleep through the night. It's killing me, especially as he loves to sleep sideways, and for some reason I always get his feet. That wouldn't be so bad if he didn't like to kick so much.

Uniform disaster for one kiddo
Puppy tears up toilet paper
one kiddo hits the other and makes cry
almost late for school drop off

all in the span of 45 minutes this morning. God I love being a parent.

Uniform disaster for one kiddo
Puppy tears up toilet paper
one kiddo hits the other and makes cry
almost late for school drop off

all in the span of 45 minutes this morning. God I love being a parent.

I call that the perfect storm.... And I bet the dog was the least of your worries.....tell them Uncle Mike is watching

I borrowed a chapter from MikeDean and had a dad/daughter date Monday afternoon. It was a fun time and a good thing to do. It will become a regular event.

Kiddo has decided again that he won't sleep through the night. It's killing me, especially as he loves to sleep sideways, and for some reason I always get his feet. That wouldn't be so bad if he didn't like to kick so much.
Happened to us about a month ago. They go through regressions when it comes to sleep. Its tough but we just kept going in there and making sure he knew we were there for him then left the room. The screams are real, but after 10-15 min they usually calm down, and if not back in we go for another few min. There is light though I promise you.

Sounds like my exact night, slept on the couch because I was sick of having a foot in my face, and Mr V sawing logs. Hopeful to get some sleep tonight!

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

*Please bear with me...this may ramble a bit. Sorry in advance*

So a co-worker irritated me today. Nothing major, just lack of courtesy. Went to a chiropractor appointment annoyed as I ever get, while talking to the doc he told me that he and his wife are expecting. It's his first kid, and we talked about the joys of being a parent, and the trials. He asked me for the one thing that surprised me the most about being a father. For me it was the realization that one day my daughter would grow up and leave, the day I really realized that it hit me like a ton of bricks. We all know the kids will grow up, and we spend their childhoods preparing them for that, one way or another, but really internalizing that fact was a "Woah" moment for me. I told him that realizing that, made me realize that my wife and I needed to spend time together (who else is going to listen to your stories when the kids are gone?), but that spending time 1:1 with my daughter, AND my wife was a huge priority for me, and to make sure, even when the baby was little to make sure that he and his wife took time to be a couple, otherwise you're only parents. We talked a little more about being a parent, things like "why do you have a 4 month old candy wrapper in your dresser drawer?" and other fun things.
After that I walked out of there in a much better mood. It was awesome to see how happy he was, and it was infectious. I left in a much better mood.

I always feel better after a hug from kiddo, but I didn't realize just exactly how much joy, just being her father brought me. That was an awesome moment for me today.

(of course she's not a teenager yet so ask me in a few years how much joy there is. :beat-up: )

That was indeed a ramble. Thanks for reading it, you get a dancing:alien2: and a dancing :banana: for your patience!!

It is easy to forget the big picture joys when you are in the small picture moments...but you are absolutely spot on.

I was so furious with my big one (7) this morning when at 3:30 AM I caught him watching TV and raiding the kitchen...which he had been doing for three hours.

It is easy to forget the big picture joys when you are in the small picture moments...but you are absolutely spot on.

I was so furious with my big one (7) this morning when at 3:30 AM I caught him watching TV and raiding the kitchen...which he had been doing for three hours.

Totally going to be a story for future girlfriends.

Happened to us about a month ago. They go through regressions when it comes to sleep. Its tough but we just kept going in there and making sure he knew we were there for him then left the room. The screams are real, but after 10-15 min they usually calm down, and if not back in we go for another few min. There is light though I promise you.
I think we've gotten away a bit from letting him cry it out. Sometimes at 2 am it's almost automatic that I get up and go get him, then fix a bottle. Most of its just a force of habit that I need to remember to break when I'm still in the throes of sleep.

Last night when I went to get him, I don't think he was appreciative to see me (probably wanted mom). He saw me, ran to the corner of his crib, turned his back to me and yelled "No!" I should have said "Fine" and gone back to sleep, but I knelt down in front of the crib and said "If you want out, I'm your only option." He pouted, walked over to me and threw his arms around my neck. He can be a stinker, but I love him, so what can you do? ha ha ha

Sounds like my exact night, slept on the couch because I was sick of having a foot in my face, and Mr V sawing logs. Hopeful to get some sleep tonight!
Yeah, two nights ago I went out to the couch to catch a couple of hours because I couldn't take it. When I woke up to get ready for work, kiddo was in my spot like he owned it. I have no hope of getting a full night sleep tonight, but I do plan to go to bed pretty much at the same time he goes down (8 or 8:30). So if he wakes at 1 or 2, at least I've got more than 90 minutes or so of sleep under my belt!

Yeah, I think we've gotten away a bit from letting him cry it out. Sometimes at 2 am it's almost automatic that I get up and go get him, then fix a bottle. Most of its just a force of habit that I need to remember to break when I'm still in the throes of sleep.

Last night when I went to get him, I don't think he was appreciative to see me (probably wanted mom). He saw me, ran to the corner of his crib, turned his back to me and yelled "No!" I should have said "Fine" and gone back to sleep, but I knelt down in front of the crib and said "If you want out, I'm your only option." He pouted, walked over to me and threw his arms around my neck. He can be a stinker, but I love him, so what can you do? ha ha ha
Its so similar to us its crazy man, they are all the same. Just want to be comforted. I have sometimes actually crawled into his toddler bed and fell a sleep in there with him haha. You do funny things on 2 hours rest over the course of week.

Took the kids for a 3 day vacation at a water park this week.
My wife's random packing finally got me. Not sure why diaper rash cream was in with the toothbrushes but it looks very much like a tube of toothpaste. Needless to say my travel brush is now in the garbage.

Sent from my HTC One using Tapatalk

Five years ago we were blessed with this beautiful girl. That was one of the best days of my life and she continued to bring joy to us every day. It's amazing how much these little people can mean to you.

P0izrvKTK8OFloQa-r19vKeYeKjuQVvrPlkr-ZdzSMt3jjL78C_FVOnGcjviyvn9RWg8=w2881-h5118-no

Took the kids for a 3 day vacation at a water park this week.
My wife's random packing finally got me. Not sure why diaper rash cream was in with the toothbrushes but it looks very much like a tube of toothpaste. Needless to say my travel brush is now in the garbage.
At least you don't have to worry about a rash on your gums now ...

Am I a bad Dad for getting upset when my children don't want to brush their teeth before bed? Because everyone in this house seems to think so...

Am I a bad Dad for getting upset when my children don't want to brush their teeth before bed? Because everyone in this house seems to think so...

I go from Super Dad to Worst Dad ever in less than a second when it's time to brush teeth.

Picking your battles is always tough

I go from Super Dad to Worst Dad ever in less than a second when it's time to brush teeth.

Picking your battles is always tough

I mean you would think I asked them to drink pickle juice. Even my wife jumped up because it was ruining her watching a show. Damn I need RTJ!

If my son hasn't declared me the worst dad ever at least twice a week, then I haven't been doing my job.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Back