Adams Speedline 9088 UL Driver

Thanks Blugold! Im not in the market now but if I was based on looks alone this one would be in my bag. Matched with the Radix HD shaft its probably the best looking driver I've seen at address. Judging by the way it performed its looking like a must hit.

Yup, it is definately a must hit. I would be interested to see an THP review of this beauty. The 46" shaft doesn't feel long either. I am probably in a daze after hitting it, I may need to borrow Biggsy's rag from THP cribs. But this is one of the best 2011 drivers I have hit.

I hit this last weekend and my reasoning was because of the shaft. But I came away quite impressed with the driver. Sets up pretty nice and that shaft loads up very very well. Over all the looks are at the top of all driver out now. The only thing I didnt like was I couldnt stop hitting power Jakes with it.

I hit this last weekend and my reasoning was because of the shaft. But I came away quite impressed with the driver. Sets up pretty nice and that shaft loads up very very well. Over all the looks are at the top of all driver out now. The only thing I didnt like was I couldnt stop hitting power Jakes with it.

My mom used to tell me that I would go blind from power Jakes.

I have a 9088ul on order. I took a leap of faith and ordered without first demoeing it.

So far so good from what ivebeen reading.

I also agree that this is one, if not the best looking drivers out there this year!

I was actually just fitted for one of these yesterday. I hit it against the Cleveland 270, R11' and one of the Titleist drivers. In the end it came down to Adams vs Cleveland for me. I chose the Adams because it had a tighter dispersion pattern for me. It was just a couple yards longer than the Cleveland, but nothing staggeringly long in comparison. I thought the Cleveland would win out in the beginning but was pleasantly surprised. The club felt really solid throughout the swing and it was just fun to hit! I would definitely recommend at least swinging this one to anyone in the market for a new driver.

Had a chance to swing this driver yesterday. Here are my thoughts:
1. Looks - Absolutely stunning in the looks department. I would say on par with my R11(I am biased of course!) with my red ilima shaft.
2. Weight - very light when compared to my R11, I honestly can't tell the difference compared to XL270 or Burner 2.0, however swing weight wise, definitely lighter than XL or Burner. This "should" promote a smoother effortless swing but I actually found myself overswinging.
3. Sound - definitely louder than my R11, but not a bad ting, more of a loud crack. I can't deal with some of the loud drivers in the past like some Nike's and especially Cobra L4V but this was easy to get used to and quite pleasant.
4. Distance - long enough. With a pretty strong head wind, I was losing about 20 yards of carry (according to the rep) but still getting it out there about 235 to 245 carry.
5. Dispersion - to be fair I did overswing and hook the ball quite a few times. However, when I focused on a smoother swing it definitely was accurate and straight. And I had no slices out of about 30 shots I hit with it. Only a good fade at most and wicked hooks.
6. Other - this would be the first Adams driver I would bag. If I did not overswing, I got consistent straight drives, distance was on par with the longest drivers I hit this year, and this was the first truly light driver that I could hit with any kind of consistency. Did I say it looks good?!

This driver has my interest very peaked. I have been really impressed by the numbers I have seen on simulators. I will probably wait until the 2012 season to make a change though.

Has anybody with THP taken swings with this guy?

This driver has my interest very peaked. I have been really impressed by the numbers I have seen on simulators. I will probably wait until the 2012 season to make a change though.

Has anybody with THP taken swings with this guy?

I have actually bagged this guy myself. I really loved it at my fitting, but have struggled with it on the course. I attribute most of that to a swing issue though as I'm still catching a few here and there, and when I do, boy are they gone. Actually had a decent outing with it this past week in the rain. I'm also moving from a regular to a stiff flex, and I think part of my problems revolve around that transition as well. I hit it well at warmup, but get crazy when on the course. I'm planning on logging some good range time this week. I'll report back and let you know how it's working out for me.

I hate hitting a club great on the range and then not so great on the course. I think this is a good looking driver. Keep us posted doc! I find myself checking out this driver a fair bit every time I see it. Truth be told, I've never hit an Adams driver.

I hate hitting a club great on the range and then not so great on the course. I think this is a good looking driver. Keep us posted doc! I find myself checking out this driver a fair bit every time I see it. Truth be told, I've never hit an Adams driver.

I think it's pretty sweet looking as well. The Matrix Radix shaft looks mean with the all black head. This was the first Adams club I've ever bagged period. Tried a hybrid once that didn't work out, but that's it.

Like I said, it has to be a swing issue. I'm coming from a pretty whippy regular flex driver, the old Sumo SQ 2 5900, or as I like to call it 'the Shoebox'. I was pretty solid with that driver, but had to really slow down my swing to keep it straight. I think my main issue here is I feel that I need to swing the stiff flex too hard, which is never a good idea. Hopefully some quality range time will clear things up! I'll be sure to follow up with the thread.

I don't have printouts or anything, but I can tell you that on the LM, I was gaining an average of ~10 yards with this driver over my old Nike and it had the best numbers out of the final four (also including Cleveland, R11 and Titleist 910D2).

Edit: I should also point out how much I like the all black face on this driver. I know this isn't exclusive, but it does help a ton when trying to figure out what's going on. Every swing, there's a nice big ball mark telling you where you made contact on the face.

I know exactly what you're talking about man. I have been going through that identical thing with the Nunchuk. I just feel like I have to swing harder and it's causing me trouble. I also can empathize with the all black face, it's nice to see impact like that. I also love the Radix, just installed it in my Octane driver. Man, it's like the Adams is a bunch of drivers all into one for me, lol

What's it sound like?

I know exactly what you're talking about man. I have been going through that identical thing with the Nunchuk. I just feel like I have to swing harder and it's causing me trouble. I also can empathize with the all black face, it's nice to see impact like that. I also love the Radix, just installed it in my Octane driver. Man, it's like the Adams is a bunch of drivers all into one for me, lol

What's it sound like?

I'm coming from the old Nike Sasquatch line, which was very loud and kind of harsh to be honest with you. So to me, it's nice and muted. :D If I get a chance, I'll either try and do a comparison to a more current driver or grab a driving range video.

I'm coming from the old Nike Sasquatch line, which was very loud and kind of harsh to be honest with you. So to me, it's nice and muted. :D If I get a chance, I'll either try and do a comparison to a more current driver or grab a driving range video.

I use to have that Nike driver. It was obnoxiously loud. Like a baseball bat loud.

Heck yeah man, get us some video up. Would love that!

What's it sound like?

I thought it sounded similar to a Nike driver, very loud.

Yeah, but have you hit one of those old school Nike's?

Yeah I had one, its not that loud. But its still loud.

I use to have that Nike driver. It was obnoxiously loud. Like a baseball bat loud.

Heck yeah man, get us some video up. Would love that!

I'll see what I can do. Don't have a dedicated video camera. I think my digi cam does video though... If not, I know my cell phone does.

I'll see what I can do. Don't have a dedicated video camera. I think my digi cam does video though... If not, I know my cell phone does.

I use my cell phone all the time man! Looking forward to it.

Alright. Was finally able to make it out to the range last night. After comparing the two, I'm going to have to retract my 'muted' comment from earlier. It is definitely almost as loud as the Nike 5900. It's more of a smack sound though as opposed to the metallic ping of the Nike. So without further ado...

Nike Sumo SQ2 5900

Adams 9088 UL

Sorry for the shaky cam. My very patient girlfriend took the video for me. Seeing video of your swing is so humbling. Definitely going to take this mental image to the range so I can work on my posture at address for starters. As far as the driver goes, it's starting to come around I think. I wish I had taken the Nike out in the beginning as that seemed to put my brain in the right place. Was hitting the Nike straight almost immediately (the video was the second swing). I had myself so twisted up with the Adams trying to swing out of my shoes. Going back to the old driver helped I think because since it's a reg flex, I have to keep a very smooth tempo. I also use a pretty neutral grip with that driver. After a couple of swings with it, I took everything from that swing over to the Adams. Couple swings later, I'm hitting them straight and longer than the Nike. We'll see if it translates to the course! Although it's been a steeper curve, I'm really happy with the driver. When properly struck it really does get out of dodge in a hurry. I also actually like the sound. Sounds mean when you get a hold of one.

My struggle with this driver continues. Had a terrible day on the course when I was able to sneak out for 9 earlier this week. Only really got a hold of one, which was a good drive. Unfortunately, the rest were either sprayed, or short. I guess it's back to the range for me. I think it's a swing issue, but it's frustrating since I seem to find a groove when at the range with it. I'm not talking about perfect drives, but good distance with decent dispersion...

Well, either way I'm not ready to give up on it yet. Perhaps I'll grab my old driver as well to make sure it's not the club. I'm pretty positive it isn't, but I need some reassurance. lol

Hit the draw version today. I loved the shaft but again it is just too light for my liking.

Back