Par 3's on tour, some just way too long?

That is crazy, those are some long holes for the yardage. 6300 down here might get you one or two mid length par 3. Take it back to 6700 then they get up to 200+, 7000 will get you 225+.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

I don't get it either.

Posted via Tapatalk

Very poor design, IMO2
That sounds logical, but it isn't reality. One course I play (6,300 yards from whites) has 1) 205 yard par 3 and 2) 225-240 yard par 3 - uphill. The next set of tees plays in the 5,500 yard range. That's too short. It's poor design, imo.

Since this is in the Golf forum and not the Golf on Tour forum I am guessing that this is more about us than about what the pros face. We have two longish par 3's the course I play often. One is 220, most of it over water and uphill. Sounds brutal but I actually like that better than the other which is not as long at 210, flat all the way. Unless you can really get your long iron shots into the air with enough spin on them you are very likely to overcook your tee shot on that one. I normally hit a 4 iron into there and have taken to aiming for a series of mounds that are left of the green, letting the ball bounce off one of the mounds onto the green. If I land it directly on the green more often than not I end up all the way up at the back of the green or over it for that matter.

The one that is 220 over water allows me to take something like a hybrid or even a 5w depending on the wind direction and landing it where I will not end up way past the flag.

But to be honest I don't really like either one. I would prefer par 3's at 190 tops. That said I do need to get more air under my long irons or at least get more spin on them.

Being older and not longer,if I have par 3's of 220 or longer ,I am hitting driver and just taking a little off because I am usually more accurate with it than my 3 wood. I used to feel embarrassed hitting driver since I play with some guys maybe 10 years younger.Now I just hit what I need and the heck with them.

190 yard and up par threes are generally the most difficult holes on a golf course in my opinion. What's funny is they are never the lowest as far as handicap. At my old course, there is a par 3 that plays 205-210 from the tips. Waste area in front, but some fairway between that and the green. Pond on the right that sucks in any ball that misses the green to that side. trees along the right side, but if you stay inside them there is a little bail out room. That was a tough but pretty fair par 3. It was one of my favorite holes on the course, but par was a good score. One the back nine the 14th played 220ish from the tips. Really big green. Bunkers to the right and behind, sloped bail out to the left. Tee elevated well above the green so it played about 200 yards. That was a really good hole, too.

Both were set up well, and while both has areas to punish you, they also had spots where you could easily get up and down if you missed the green. They were fair for the average to above average player. 200 plus that are all carry are brutal and not fun in my opinion.

Kevin

I love par 3's where the pros hit 8, 9, and PW's into them, especially when there's just death all around the green.

This. They are the most fun to play and there's never any negativity from pros about them. 12 at Augusta is a prime example. Postage Stamp etc etc.

My home club is Par 64 4800 yards. (Short i know) but there are no par 5s as space is tight. But on the course there are 8 par 3's:
167 Yards S.I. 13
184 Yards S.I. 7
245 Yards S.I. 3
139 Yards S.I. 15
142 Yards S.I. 16
242 Yards S.I. 2
182 Yards S.I. 14
119 Yards S.I. 18

Now on a course that short, two 240+ par 3's is rediculous. Especially the 245 yard one because it is a slight dogleg to the left with O.O.B to the right and trees to the left making it even harder.

My favourite holes are the 139 yard or 119 yard par 3's.
the 139 is right infront of the club house/bar so it adds pressure with bunkers around it and a 2 level green.
The 119 has a blind tee shot over gorse onto a small-ish green with a very high lipped bunker right infront of it.

The Challenging shorter par 3's are so much more fun than the stupid 240 yard par 3's

My home club is Par 64 4800 yards. (Short i know) but there are no par 5s as space is tight. But on the course there are 8 par 3's:
167 Yards S.I. 13
184 Yards S.I. 7
245 Yards S.I. 3
139 Yards S.I. 15
142 Yards S.I. 16
242 Yards S.I. 2
182 Yards S.I. 14
119 Yards S.I. 18

Now on a course that short, two 240+ par 3's is rediculous. Especially the 245 yard one because it is a slight dogleg to the left with O.O.B to the right and trees to the left making it even harder.

My favourite holes are the 139 yard or 119 yard par 3's.
the 139 is right infront of the club house/bar so it adds pressure with bunkers around it and a 2 level green.
The 119 has a blind tee shot over gorse onto a small-ish green with a very high lipped bunker right infront of it.

The Challenging shorter par 3's are so much more fun than the stupid 240 yard par 3's

245 and 242 on a course that short with that par is crazy. Why wouldn't they just play them as par 4's and up the par?

I think a 240 yard par 3 is too long. I am not a fan at all. I was looking at the yardages of the par 3's at the AAC for the PGA last night and the shortest one is like 190. I love par 3's where the pros hit 8, 9, and PW's into them, especially when there's just death all around the green.

I couldn't agree more.

I do not have a problem with a difficult par three where par is more like 3.5, and you feel good about a par as long as there is some variety on the other par threes. You should not need a 3i or hybrid on every par three. I think a good place for a long par three is either before or after either a short par 4 or par 5 as I think the variety is a nice change of pace.

My home courses have some difficult par 3's, but the tee boxes provide a relief on distances. For example, one course has par 3's of 212 and 242 from the tips, but they play 175 and 197 respectively the next tee box forward. Still on the longish side, but both play fair.

I do not have a problem with a difficult par three where par is more like 3.5, and you feel good about a par as long as there is some variety on the other par threes. You should not need a 3i or hybrid on every par three. I think a good place for a long par three is either before or after either a short par 4 or par 5 as I think the variety is a nice change of pace.

My home courses have some difficult par 3's, but the tee boxes provide a relief on distances. For example, one course has par 3's of 212 and 242 from the tips, but they play 175 and 197 respectively the next tee box forward. Still on the longish side, but both play fair.

I don't have a problem with difficult Par 3's, as long as there is somewhat of a chance to at least hit the green. If I have to go at a Par 3 with a wood, that just makes it too long, not difficult. It could have no water, no sand, not trouble whatsoever. But if you gotta take everything in your bag or close to it to have a chance to get there, it's too long for a Par 3.

I completely agree. I should have elaborated. I think you should be able to reach the green with a 3i or equivalent. If a player of average length has to hit a 3w or Driver, I do not think it should not be a par 3. However, I do not want to hit 3i or 4i into every par 3 either. I like the risk/reward of hitting a 7i to the fat part of the green or firing an 8i at the pin over a bunker. I would rather have too short a par 3 than having to constantly hit greens from over 200 yards.

I don't have a problem with difficult Par 3's, as long as there is somewhat of a chance to at least hit the green. If I have to go at a Par 3 with a wood, that just makes it too long, not difficult. It could have no water, no sand, not trouble whatsoever. But if you gotta take everything in your bag or close to it to have a chance to get there, it's too long for a Par 3.

I totally agree. If I played where the par 3's were in the 200+ range, I'd be looking for a new place to play. No wonder slow play is such a issue many places.

I think par 3's shouldn't be over 210, for the average player that's asking too much. I played a course recently that had a 243 yard par 3 fronted by water with bunkers on the right and back and OOB on the left, add to that the day I played it it was into a 20+ mph wind! BRUTAL! I hit 3 hybrid into the right bunker and just missed my par putt, but one of my playing partners hit 3 wood and was still short and went in the small pond in front, he would have been better off laying up and trying to make par that way.

Give me 140 yarder with tough greens and pins everyday. Like the OP said some of the best par 3's on tour play less than 150 even for the pros

Appropriate topic, they had our teeboxes on 11 moved back to the back teebox. 215 to front, 245 off te back.

Water left, OB right. It's waaaay long. I hit a 5w expecting to land short and roll hopefully.

But I didn't make it to the tier.

Crazy tough.

Olympia fields had a par 3 playing 245 to center; wind in our face.... Unreal. TM fitter hit a driver to 10 feet it was an amazing shot. I hit 2 bunkers lol

I am sitting here playing Tiger Woods 2012 at Okamont CC. And I come to the 8th hole. It's 288 yards. In a freaking video game! It made me think of this thread and just had to just express my disbelief. Just wow.

FYI: My character has to hit driver

I am sitting here playing Tiger Woods 2012 at Okamont CC. And I come to the 8th hole. It's 288 yards. In a freaking video game! It made me think of this thread and just had to just express my disbelief. Just wow.

FYI: My character has to hit driver

That hole is ridiculous. So
Hard to make it stick. In the game that is

Tap tap taparoo

AAC may have a 270 yard par 3 you know the one David Toms aced with a Hybrid.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

My home course has a nice mix of par 3 holes:

#4. 165
#8. 132
#13. 195
#17. 153

Those are the nominal lengths from the back tees - they vary a bit in actual play but they are about the averages.

190 yard and up par threes are generally the most difficult holes on a golf course in my opinion. What's funny is they are never the lowest as far as handicap. At my old course, there is a par 3 that plays 205-210 from the tips.
Kevin

That's because they are hard for everyone, scratch or bogey golfer. The bogey golfer isn't as likely to need a stroke to keep pace with the scratch player, which is what hole handicapping is for.

I have a long 215 yd uphill par three at my course. I've only hit the green a handfull of times because I don't have a middle gap club between my 5W or Driver. I'm either too long or pull up just short. I think anything over 200 is just a little bit to long from the standard mens tees. The thing about the 215 yd par 3 at my course is it's not challenging at all, no sand, no water nothing. I've played challenging 145 yd par fours that are more daunting. Just take that extra lenghth and add it to a shorter par 4.

Par 3's should be an iron shot and no more, otherwise it's just a pain and no enjoyment to gained

Par 3's should be an iron shot and no more, otherwise it's just a pain and no enjoyment to gained

Exactly, make par 3's about accuracy and penalize accordingly with hazards and tough greens. 190 should be a maximum for par 3's.

A couple courses I have played have some longish 190 to 210 par 3's and the course i played today had a 170 par 3 that the green was about 30 feet higher than the tee box. It made for a tough club selection and i chose one club too long, ended up with a 6 because of a terrible tee shot then bad recovery shots and poor putting the green sloped back to the tee box.

Anything past 210 is toooo far if I can't hit it with a great 4i its tooo long.

There's no rule that says you have to play the exact yardage on every hole. If the hole is too long, move up a tee for that hole. With that being said, on the course I play the par 3's from the tips are 160, 195, 205, and....250!! I have played there on days where that hole was into the wind and the pin was all the way in the back (making it about 280). I hit driver and didn't make it. From the regular tees the yardages are 150, 165, 135, and 225. I think the maximum yardage should be 225. (but for tour players, 280 is fine with me).

Anything over 200 is too much for me. My personal favorites are par 3's under 100 yards.

Back